What's new

Shea Moisture Shave Butter

Pros: Nice container
Cons: Worst shaving cream ever
Worst shaving cream ever - stay away from the nice packaging and labeling. No lather, no moisturizing - just doesn't work. Not worth the price (even though its quite cheap).
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturizes, slick
I'm in the minority on this. I like the stuff. And yes... I like the scent. It's nice.

IT DOES NOT LATHER! And that's FINE! It's not supposed to. Do NOT use a brush to apply. Use your fingers and use sparingly. You don't need alot. It says it on the container.

It works well with a DE or a cartridge razor. It will not clog up if you consistently take short strokes AND have really hot running water to clean your razor off. I don't understand the complaints about this. It's pretty simple, gang.

It leaves your face real smooth. I had absolutely no issues with nicks, cuts, irritation or anything.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Good for superlather; the price
Cons: Everything else
Horrible to use alone. Left my face with a poor shave and a stinging feeling (which almost never happens). I have mixed it with Proraso (green) soap. It made for a nice smooth lather. I'm not going to throw the Shave Butter out, but I'll never use it alone again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice packaging
Cons: Nice packaging, because it draws you in
Wish I had reviewed the reviews before purchasing. The packaging is nice and it has some ingredients.
I know it's lather less, but it is REALLY lather less, I mean zip! I have tried less water, more water, less product, more product - regardless I could not get it to provide anything.
The razor dragged - I am going to try a super lather maybe, if not I will PIF it to SWMBO, maybe she can use it up.
It smells really good in my opinion and does moisturize.

I won't not recommend it b/c YMMV and you might love it, I just don't.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive, Great Scent, Lathers well (for a non-lathering cream)
This is a non-lather cream. If you know how to lather properly, you can get even a decent lather from it (I do every day). Of course, it wont lather like a lather cream, but it doesnt need to and isn't supposed to.

It shaves very well, and leaves a nice scent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturizer
Cons: Not a shaving cream!!
I will not be buying this product again. It is useless as a shaving cream however it works pretty good as a moisturizer if you have dry feet.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I am another person that picked this up without reading the reviews. I was able to get a rather thin lather out of it but had a very poor shave with it. Like some of the others have mentioned, I may keep the tub for use with other soaps, but I will not be buying this again. Lesson learned, always check out reviews before making a purchase of an unknown product.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just picked this up on impulse when I was in target for some lightbulbs. Then I checked the reviews. I'll return it unopened. A shame, I thought I might have stumbled on a gem at a very decent price.
Bought this before all the bad reviews because it had some nice all natural ingredients, nice package and was supposed to be brush lather-able. Well this stuff is crap. It doesn't lather, its not very good as a brush-less cream, clogged razors, scent is like cake batter or something a bit strange for a mens product. So don't waste your money.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
If only the product could keep up with the packaging! What a nice box!
I bought this before I knew better and have to say that if you put enuff of the product on your face it will shave and provide some comfort. Ofcourse if you put that much on your face the razor will clog repeatedly causing great frustration and anger:angry:. This stuff works well for making superlather with a soap because its mostly a moisturizer and so until its gone thats how Ill use it, unless I need a screw-toip container for another soap or cream then I just may wash the stuff out and keep the container. There are a few other products in the same price range that do a far superior job at lathering up and giving gd protection. Dont waste your time trying to use this product with a brush, it just dont lather on its own:thumbdown
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
masonjarjar;1979519 said:
I just saw this stuff at Wal-Mart. I ran away.

I wish I would have done the same. I picked some up tonight because I hadn't seen these reviews. I tried it. It left my skin soft but really wasn't any good. Certainly didn't work at all with a brush, just turned to a watery mess (odd, seeing as they recommend using with a brush). Used with fingers it was better but took an awful lot to get anywhere.

AVOID at all costs!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
The rating given is accurate to the experience. I would rather have given the money to charity, then to have this product to show for it. As a matter of fact, I probably would have felt better about having lost it entirely.

Used with a brush and without. Simply, a miserable product
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I gave this "butter" some OK ratings. You definitely need to combine it with another type of shaving soap or cream. Since I have a puck, I add some "butter" to my brush and then begin to create the lather on my puck. The finishing lather comes out fine and I find that it is perfect for my shaving needs. I will agree that this can not be used by itself, but when combined it works well. For the price I would recommend a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I picked this up on clearance at Target last night for 2.98 (hence the high price rating) thinking that even if it wasn't any good, the tub alone would be worth the price, for storing other soaps.

This morning I spread some on my face to give it a spin, and found it extremely lacking as a shave cream. Then I decided to go a step farther. I went ahead and lathered up some soap, and spread it on top of the shea moisture already on my face. I found that my shave felt slightly smoother than normal, and I did not cut myself at all (I'm still new to DE, and have my Futur at a rather aggressive setting, so zero cuts is an accomplishment.)

So, while I would not recommend using this product alone for shaving, if you already happen to have some it might be useful to spread on the face pre-shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
BoldSpice;1185125 said:
If something is a non-lathering cream, then it should be used and reviewed as such. I find non-lathering creams useful sometimes for touch-ups at the office and for traveling, so I'm interested in reading some sensible reviews.

I agree, it annoys me to no end when men complain that a non-lathering cream clogged up their brush. Well.. DUH!!
If something is a non-lathering cream, then it should be used and reviewed as such. I find non-lathering creams useful sometimes for touch-ups at the office and for traveling, so I'm interested in reading some sensible reviews.
This is probably the worst thing I have used to shave. I would rather use stuff from a can than this. Does not moisturize, does not provide any protection form the razor, and it really clogs up. I think I will do as the gentlemen above and hand it over to my wife.:eek:
It's a latherless cream, with a pant load of shea butter in it.

It clogs razors and did I mention it won't lather?

I scored the packaging so highly because, when my wife(she loved the stuff because it's basically a moisturizer that she could use to shave her legs) finished the tub, a puck of Tabac fit into it almost perfectly.:biggrin:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Saw this at target, and when I openned it up, it looked so luscious that I couldn't resist. $8 for 6 ounces seemed like a good price. The directions even recommended using a brush for optimal results, so I thought they might speak my language.

Any ways, it has that SheaButter smell. So if you like that, you will like the smell. Very mild.

The texture is very luxurious and that is what drew me in. I have a relatively thick beard, and need something with oil in it.

When I tried to lather up with my C&E BBB I got nothing. In fact the "Butter" seemed to just be dissapearing into my brush. I put it on my face, and I got some oil, but nothing. Tried with more water, less water, and even tried with out the brush. Just got nothing.

I don't know who actually tested this product, but it was a miserable disappointment. At the end I resorted to lumping over half an ounce of the stuff on my brush. Soon enough this fatty goop ended up clogging my drain, and the remaining tube ended up in the trash.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)