What's new

Shavemac Finest

This is a review of Shavemac's semi-custom Finest Badger brush in 23mm knot size with a brown-beige handle (#43677252), which is basically the same brush as the one in the above review. My only other experience with badger brushes is a C.O. Bigelow Best Badger (which I understand is an Edwin Jagger in disguise), not a bad brush itself.

Price - This was $88.00 direct from Shavemac. You can certainly get a silvertip for this price so I rate it an 8. A little pricey, but getting to pick the shape and color of the handle is very nice.

Quality - Shavemac deserves their reputation. The only possible complaint I could have is that the Shavemac logo stamped in to the handle is a little uneven - some of the dots are lighter than others. It may be time for some quiet reflection on life if that kind of thing actually bothers you.

Density - Astounding. It's soft, but if you push the brush against your palm there's almost no give. Really excellent, and it seems to hold water amazingly well.

Stiffness - Superb - stiff without being harsh or scratchy.

Softness - As above, a luxuriously soft brush that still feels substantial and firm. Compared to the Bigelow/Jagger it's a revelation. I can't feel any individual hairs with this Shavemac, just a pleasant, firm massage.

Ergonomic - The handle is well-designed, substantial and quite pretty. No complaints.

Latherability - I've been using Saint Charles Shave soaps, which generally require a lot of water. I tried this brush out with the barbershop scent (which is really amazing) and could not believe the difference. With the previous brush (supposedly the same grade of badger hair) I had to leave the brush sopping wet to get the Saint Charles soap to lather - it worked fine, but it required some effort and a great deal of water up front. With the Shavemac I tried the lathering tutorial method of giving the brush a shake and a squeeze (I've also gone this route with the Bigelow and ended up having to add a lot of water). A few swirls with the Shavemac and I had a bowl full of dense, meringuey lather, enough for at least four passes. I really couldn't believe that a subtle difference in hair quality would actually affect the performance so much - impressive!

I've never used a silvertip so I can't speak to that, but I can say that if you want a firm brush (perhaps because you prefer soaps) but don't want something prickly or difficult to use, the custom finest badger Shavemacs are a great choice.
Its a great soap brush and also looks good on the shelf.
I ordered one week ago from Bernd
price 55€
finest Badger hand crafted
handle faux tortoise
knot between 22 and 23

next to a Hans Baier Silvertip for 40 €

little bit of trumpers rose shaving soap

20 seconds

40 seconds

quality is AAA

i'm fine :)

thanks to Shavemac