What's new

Shave Secret

Pros: Degree of comfort, ease of use, cheap price
Cons: Scent is meh, lack of lather might be a turnoff
I am plagued with extremely sensitive skin. Always have been. When I was using my 2011 R41 to get absolutely BBS, my skin got red, inflamed, and angry. I am currently using a Feather AS-D2, and though that is better, my skin still gets red and inflamed after each shave. Though I love the ritual of shaving my face does not. I have tried every product imaginable, the gentlest soaps and creams available, the most rigorous post-shave creams and balms... Nothing worked! Until I spent $3.50 at Wal-Mart on a whim.

My prep was minimal. I didn't shower beforehand, just held a hot towel to my face for a minute or two, put a few drops of Shave Secret on my skin, and went to town. I could see everything, and when I blade buffed the skin did not get red behind my razor. It seemed almost like there was no hair coming off, it was so easy. 3.5 passes, easy BBS.

There was hair stuck in the razor, true, but a quick dis-assembly and rinse took care of that in a minute.

The true test was when I applied my Speick aftershave. Normally it burns like hell, but today it didn't even register a tingling sensation. The Shave Secret left my skin completely fine!!

I strongly recommend this stuff to anybody.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Great stuff. I've been using this as a pre-shave oil for a couple years now. When I first started out DE shaving I was using AoS pre-shave oil and, like many others, found it too thick and not all that helpful for achieving a better shave. I swore off pre-shave oil for quite a while and dabbled in other pre-shave options including water soluble formulas. I achieved moderate success with these but it still wasn't perfect enough for what I was shooting for.

After reading many positive reviews I decided to give Shave Secret a shot and I haven't looked back:

-It is very light and almost completely absorbed by your skin. What this means is no greasy feel after the shave and just well moisturized, smooth skin.

-Hands down it makes the shave easier and aids in skin protection to reduce irritation. It adds lubrication for sure but what I really think it does is soften the skin and make it supple to accept a blade scraping over it. Don't think it really softens the whiskers to any degree.

-Definitely reduces nicks by the blade...see above. I always get more nicks if I don't use it.

-It doesn't gunk up your brush since it is light

How I use it:

I use more than most and apply 15 drops to my wet beard in the shower after washing my face. I lather right over the top for the shave. I rinse the left over lather off after each pass but the shave oil benefit stays on for the next pass, no need to reapply.

Overall, this is one product that definitely has a positive impact on the shave. Works better than other shave oils. Best part is that it's available at all Wal-Marts and is cheap. It is less than $4 for a dropper vial that will last you for months. The only reason I gave it a 9 for price is because a 10 would only be if it is pennies or free. I highly recommend this one and I can't forsee any reason I would ever stop using it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
For me, works better than any soaps or creams I have tried.
No learning curve.
Works the same every time.
Can be used as pre-shave so you can still enjoy lathering your soaps and creams.
Wow is it cheap!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
To be frank, I'm offended by the implications of the company's tag line about who constitutes an American:

"Shave Secret Shaving Oil, The Best Shave Ever!
Proudly Made in America by English Speaking Americans.
© 2003-2004 USA Kings Crossing Inc., All Rights Reserved"

I refuse to purchase a product from such an ignorant company.

Scott
I bought some last week at Wal-Mart and tryed it as suggested as a Pre shave oil. It gave me the best BBS shave I have had since I started earlier in 2009.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
http://www.shavesecret.com/

For the price, Shave Secret shaving oil really can't be beat. It runs about $6 a bottle from Walmart, but I've heard you can order a 4 pack for $20 from their website (and larger packs for that matter if you are so inclined). It comes in a small dropper bottle that's easily stored in a bathroom kit for travelers as well. Typical use involves only about 3-5 drops of the stuff to coat an already wetted face and gives a pretty slick coating that greatly minimizes razor drag and burn. The scent isn't overbearing, but it seems to smell like a mix of menthol and cloves to me.

I had to give it a 0 on latherability, but that's only because it's not a soap or a cream. It's an oil afterall, but it seems to coat the face very well. It also seems to do a pretty good job at softening the skin on your face, so it may well serve those well who have leather where skin should be.:001_cool:

For the price, I'd say it's worth a shot, especially for those of you who have never bothered with shaving oils before.
This stuff is awesome. Noticed it one day while I was perusing the shaving section at Wal-Mart. Under $4...it's a total necessity for my kit.

Smells heavily of cloves...took a while to get used to, but now I love it.

I first used it before I started wet shaving, and this stuff can be a small nightmare with multi blade razors. Gunks up everytime...but nothing a couple good sink taps won't fix.

Then I put some in a m&p shaving soap I made instead of using a blend of EO's. It not only provides a nice smell, but it definitely helps with the moisturizing effect of the shave.

Works great as a pre and post shave too.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
Per recommendations I've seen here, I had to try Shave Secret myself.
As others, I followed the directions and did indeed get a very good shave. However, I do miss the lather and the ability to "see" where I've shaved.
Now I use 3 drops of it prior to brushing up. It really makes for a comfortable shave. I enjoy the scent of menthol and clove which doesn't stay. A couple of rinses will knock that out for the most part.
If you're looking for something to put your razor into "glide mode", this is about as cheap of a solution that you'll find.
I'm new to true wet shaving, but I've been using Shave Secret a while now... even using my shameful Mach 3 I got a much nicer shave (in the shower) than any canned cream I've ever used. My question is specific to you because I noticed you've been using your brush and Shave Secret together for a long time. I heard that pre-shave oils, and Shave Secret in particular can gum up your brush. I'm starting with a C&E BBB & Merkur HD (look at me using acronyms like an old pro) and I'd hate to mess it up with a pre-shave oil. Have you noticed any problems? Any special maintenance for your brush due to Shave Secret? Thanks in advance!
I have been using shave secret going on 2 years, before using this I always had razor rash, redness etc..:frown: Not any more, here is my routine I find best. Hot water as hot I my hands can take then apply 6 drops of Shave Secret rubbing in well the clove and menthol kinda jar ya awake. Grab my badger brush saturate with HOT water and into the Mitchells woolfat soap, apply liberally using tight circular motions all over face and neck. Grab my handy dandy DE razor and start shaving. After which rinse face with hot water first and then cold water, apply Nivea after shave balm (scent free) after allowing the face to dry then application of Dominica Bay Rum aftershave. Outfreakinstanding.:biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Great stuff. Love the menthol. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
As others have noted, I picked this up while at Wal-Mart and was intrigued by the advertising claims. I travel all the time and normally use only hot water after a shower with a regular multi blade razor. Tried this product because it fits easily into my DOPP kit and the small size does not flag the TSA machines.

Quick. Easy. Comfortable. Highly recommended. There are other options when you are at your own home with plenty of time and a ceramic shaving mug. When you have none of these, this is the solution.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I purchased my Shave Secret Oil at Wal-Mart. I have used this oil as both a stand alone (as per the instructions) and as a pre-shave oil under my shaving cream.

I recently ran out of my favorite blades (Feather) and put in a Merkur blade which is not one of my favorites.

For my first shave with this oil I used it as a stand alone. It worked wonderfully well and made my Merkur blade feel more like a Feather. I had an extremely close shave and I rinsed my face in warm then cold water. My wife and kids couldn't believe how smooth my face was after this shave. I can only describe the feeling as like a child's skin.

For my second shave with this oil, I used it underneath some generic Aveeno. This cream is not one of my favorites but I wanted to see if a mediocre cream reduced the quality of this oil. My shave this time was equally smooth, though I had less residual oil left on my face than I did when using the oil alone.

I can say that this oil provides a great shave either alone or with cream, although I prefer the cream so I can more easily see which areas I have already shaved. The cream also allows more water to stay mixed with the oil for longer. This is important because the directions indicate to use more water, not more oil, if your face starts to dry out. I occasionally slapped a little more water on my face when using the oil alone, but did not have to do this when used with the cream.

For the cheap price of this oil, effectiveness in eliminating razor drag while increasing shave closeness, and it's overall lubricating abilities, I believe this oil should be in everyone's shaving rotation, even if used only once in awhile. It makes follow up shaves more pleasant since your skin never was irritated at all from the previous day's shave, and since it can be used with traditional shaving cream, it doesn't take away from the feel of having a classic shave.

The one drawback it seems that people have, the strong smell of this product, dissipates quickly and is barely noticeable after the shave. With a water rinse after shaving, the smell is almost completely gone. I would rather have the smell than tamper with whatever divinely inspired ingredients are in this oil. :smile:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I purchased this based on the reviews of fellow B & B members and have not been disappointed one bit. This Shave Secret stuff performs as advertised, at least for me.

I have been using Shave Secret for two weeks straight as a pre-shave. Five drops massaged in palms of hands, spread over face and neck followed by a warm towel for a couple of minutes. Next I place two drops into my shaving bowl, add shaving cream of the day, build lather and go to it.

Provides a slick, lubricating suface and razor just glides over the wiskers. Between passes I add a little warm water to face and neck, relather and do it again.

Does not appear to reduce the latherability of my Speick, TOBS, Nomad and G.R. creams.

Try it you just might be impressed.

Danny
I found this forum because I wanted to find out if anyone else had used this product and given a review for it.

I have been using Shave Secret for about 9 months in my barbershop. I apply Shave Secret, then hot lather followed by a hot towel. Reapply lather and start the shave. I have noticed a big difference since using this product.
I highly recommend using this shave oil under hot lather!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I tried this while on vacation in the States with a King of Shaves Azor disposable razor and I was impressed and left with a clean irritation free shave. A must for those trips on the road, or where carrying all the shaving goods may not be prudent!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have never used this shaving oil for my face but rather for when i shaved my head.
I was a baldie for awhile when sporting a new look for a Leukemia pledge drive.I had the bald look for about 6 months before growing it back.
This shave oil is truly a wonder when shaving your head. I used disposable Bic razors on my head and combined with the Shave secret received a BBS smooth shave almost every time.

If you are looking for a head shave,this is wonderful stuff!

Jim
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
works good, the only gripe with this shave oil is the smell is to strong.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I passed on trying Shave Secret for a couple of years, seeing it on the shelf at Wal-Mart and wondering why I would need it.

After I started experimenting with pre-shave oils I wondered how it would perform in that area, and I was pleasantly surprised. Used as a pre-shave under a warm towel, this stuff softens your beard and provides a slick coating for your shave. Use too much, and your blade will be tracked full of goo that WILL NOT come off. I use just four or five drops (one on each cheek, each side of my neck, and one on my adams apple area).

Following the directions, you massage it in and let the formula go to work. The smell is of a clove menthol flavor, much more enticing than it sounds. After my beard feels soft enough I splash hot water all over and then apply my cream or soap on top of it and go to town. The blade just literally slides across your face with almost zero drag. Very nice, but I couldn't see using this as a stand-alone item. But for three bucks and some change it's by far my pre-shave of choice.

I also use this as a post-shave oil. If I'm shaving in the shower and it's going to be a few minutes before I can apply aftershave Shave Secret works great in the interim.

Buy it and try it today.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance