What's new

Shave Bar (Clay Mint)

Item Description

Dr Squatch's Shave Bar is a unique smelling soap with a great masculine scent of clay, mint and a very nice citrus hint at the end that stays with you after the shave.

During the time of this shave I had two weeks facial hair growth, a new Persona blade in a Phoenix DOC Safety Razor.
I do have to say at the beginning using this soap while blooming it I was almost about to give up, there is a certain way that this soap needs to be lathered. If you fail to lather it in the way that it is designed to you will be very disappointed in the results.
This soap is a very hard soap to lather if you do not know what you are doing. If are used to a wet brush and blooming your soap this soap will cause you to change your habits. This soap does not like excess water, if you use too much water you will be very disappointed to see the result, that result being a foamy lather. When the soap is applied onto the face correctly with minimal water you are going to have to hydrate the soap roughly 45 seconds to a minute in order to keep it as a cream, if you choose not to it will dry out on your face. I also noticed that this soap works better with a smaller boar size brush due to the size of the puck being 4.5 oz. My best result was with an Omega 46065 boar brush with a face lather. I also tried with a 30mm knot Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger brush and a Esccali badger brush, the soap worked great in both a face and bowl lather although I would recommend a bowl lather as it is a lot easier to see the reaction of the soap and add water.
When this soap is loaded correctly the soap is a great soap, with a strong masculine smell and glide that it supplies could be a soap I would turn to on a regular shaving basis. I would be reluctant to use this soap while shaving a longer growth just because of how much attention has to be applied to the consistency of the soap, if there is too much or too less water you will not enjoy the shave. I would not recommend this soap for newcomers to the art of traditional shaving just because of all the factors that come into play. Price of this soap is 12$ for 4.5 ounces that puts the cost as 2.66$ per ounce which is beyond fair in my eyes.

Loading ability of this soap is going to be lower due to just how picky it is for this soap to form a good lather. I will give it a 4 out of 10.
Peaks with this soap are very nice and deserve nothing less than a 8 out of 10.
Gliding ability with this soap is a 7 out of 10.
Scent of this soap would receive a 9 out of 10.
Overall this soap would receive a 7 out of 10.

Of course I always would recommend a good pre-shave to help with the gliding ability.

Latest reviews

Pros: Smell
Cons: Hard to load
Please see description above.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)