What's new

Sharp Stainless - Version 2

Smooth. Forgiving. Sharp enough for me.

The price is not bad for a stainless steel blade.

The quality looks to be very good.

Sharp enough for several DFSs with 3 or 4 passes. I swap out after 3 shaves, but only because of the longevity ratings here. I will try for more and see what happens, or not. At this price they are a deal at 3 shaves.

Longevity = undetermined. I have been pitching them after 3 shaves. Never a bad experience.

Smoothness is great with proper preparation. I shower, whip up a super lather, take my time.

Packaging is nice and sensible. No plastic. Two wrappers. No glue.

I like low-cost stainless steel blades. These are similar to the Shark SS blade, perhaps my favorite. SS blades serve me well in a Feather stainless steel razor, or an HD, or a Futur, or a classic Merkur.. Zero irritation, no burn, no weepers, no problems. Shaving with this gear is comfortable and painless. I don't need platinum, chrome, or exotic coatings to get DFSs. YMMV.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I was quite surprised when I tried these the first time. I received them free with an order of other essentials, and soon ordered more. I had been using Feathers and was getting some of the best shaves of my life, though the price of Feather blades was a little much for me. Sharp blades seem to be quite as good as the Feather, but without the smoothness I associate with Feather shaves.

The downside to these is that they do not last long at all. After three shaves, out it goes, or irritation will be a major problem. On the other hand, they are cheaper than Feather, and I can only get about five shaves from a Feather, so the value is better with Sharp.

Highly recommended blade.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These blades have earned a solid "B" in my razors. They were part of the WCS "everything" sampler, and they cost about $16 per hundred in bulk. I have used these blades with a "Chessman" vintage Merkur slant and with the new-ish incarnation of the Mühle R89.

My first shave with the Sharp did not go well, but as my technique has stabilized I find that I can get 3-4 good shaves from each blade. The fourth shave generally isn't as close, but is still fairly smooth.

I doubt that I will replace the five-pack, but they did give me some excellent shaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Very "tuggy" and rough shave for me. I bought a stack of these based on some of the reviews here and I'm ready to toss them now having arrived at Feathers through many trials and (like these) errors.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I love these, when I use my Slant bar DE Merkur, these are what it is loaded with. Smooth, sharp, conistent, and well priced. I like the cardboard boxes, and they are double wrapped w/o glue on the blade, so I love that too. I hope you have as much luck with them as I have had.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Super smooth shaves...gotten 5 quality shaves out of this blade.

Couple nicks at first...by shave 4 or 5 it was less sharp but still gave one heck of a shave.

Not as sharp as Feather or Derby, but I would prefer this blade over either of those.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I can't say that I agree with the OP.

I have a coarse beard, and very sensitive spots under my chin (due to a cowlick in my beard, so anyway I shave it's pretty much ATG somewhere on the first pass). These blades, no matter how well I prepped my face, just didn't cut it. I ended up throwing a pack and a half out.

I can't really suggest this to anyone with a coarse beard... they are a far cry from my favorite smooth blade (Astra) and I would not buy them again.

Sorry, I'm not a believer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I was kindly given a pack of these blades by another B&B member (Many thanks to PMast for that - along with some other blades)

The packaging, although not as robust as the plastic dispensers really wasn't bad at all, a nice slim cardboard box with the blades very neatly wrapped with 2, yes TWO layers of paper. Unwrapping the blade was like unwrapping a Christmas present, rather exciting. Really had my hopes up for this blade!

Loading the blade into my Futur was fairly idiot-proof, lathered up as per usual and let the shaving commence!

My heart sank the moment I took my first pass. The blade had an uncomfortable tugging sensation as if the edge was made of rubber. I thought it was a bad blade so put in another one and the same thing happened. The tugging action caused me to get more nicks than I bargained for. I even looked at the blade edge to make sure it wasn't serrated - thats what it felt like on my skin.

Before my ability to shave gets questioned, I have used Feathers, Derbys, Merkurs and Gillette Bleue Extras and they all shave much better than this junk and I hardly get any nicks with them.

YMMV as the saying goes, but I got no mileage whatsoever with these.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
They're not that smooth, they don't last that long, and they're not easily available for me. That being said, I really love their 'look', and the fact that they're double-wrapped.
I tried these before reading reviews so didn't know what to expect. The first time out they felt sharp and dangerous in my 40's super speed. I kept a light touch but still felt like I was about to shear off my cheek at any time. However, after three passes plus touch up I had one of the closest shaves ever. The second blade I used felt a little smoother, but still sharp and delivered a great shave. I've since started using an Merkur HD and get excellent results from it as well. It isn't the smoothest blade in my arsenal but is the sharpest. I find that it's easy to over shave with it which can result in some irritation, but if I do everything right I'm awarded BBS and irritation free every time.

I can get three shaves out of these without a problem.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Every since I started using a double edge this is a brand that I have really been wanting to try. Glad I waited as long as I did!

I like how the razors is double wrapped even though outer packaging is nothing special.

As soon as this blade hit my face, I knew there was trouble coming. It pulled badly...especially on my chin and upper lip and the blade just seems really dull. The dullness caused my a few weepers. I will highly doubt the blade will give me two shaves since the first one was so dull. The blade lacked smoothness.

The Sharp blade seemed to be too much trouble getting a BBS! Like another stated, "It requires more passes than usual." I would agree a thousand percent with that statement. If this was the only blade made for a DE razor, I would be left with no choice to go back to cartridge land and that is a bold statement I stand behind.
I got this in a sampler pack and good thing I do not have many left. By far the worst blade yet and it disappoints me because I really wanted to like this one.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I have used these daily for a couple of months now in a variety of razors including a Merkur HD, SS, Fatboy, ball end tech and feather travel razor. I have gone through several using some for one shave some for two shaves and some for three shaves. I have only used them with VDH delux soap and Tom's of maine-callendula.
What I have observed-
The price-ordered from Howard1616 on Ebay they are about $15-16 for 100 and his shipping speed is scary fast-I've wondered if he isn't a neighbor and the mailman just runs them up the street.
The quality is good in that they are consistantly sharp and smooth, but I have noticed some variation between packs. Also some times I get a blade that sits in the razor with more blade exposure on one side than another. I use the merkur HD to double check these blades due to the tighter fit and sure enough some are wider by about 0.5 mm on one side. Perhaps one in ten. I usually just make note of this and use the different exposures for different passes-hey I'm easy to get along with.
These are quite sharp. I have a tough beard that is very dense along my chin and jaw line in particular. The blades shave with very little tugging, but take at least three passes to get a ccs. I have not had any significant cuts or nicks from them, but They can cause some irritation if you push their limits-read on.
Longevity-shave one is smooth comfortable and free of irritation. Shave two is not so close unless I want to do four passes, blade buffing and have some minor irritation. Third shave is not worth it. For fifteen cents use them as one time only blades-perfect for a barber shop I suppose.
Smoothness-First shave only. It rolls down hill from there.
Packaging-I am pragmatic and prefer the minimalist packaging. It more than adequately protects the blades and saves cost and materials.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Well, I only tried one pack of these, but I didn't like them too well. I could have gotten a bad pack, or I could have just had a bad technique back then. They weren't really "bad" they just weren't anything special.. Very mediocre on all accounts. I'll try them again now that I'm a bit more experienced and see what I think.
This has been my daily blade for about a year. For most of my shaves I use a 40's Superspeed and Provence Sante soap. I have tried the blade in adjustables and other fixed razors with solid results.

Price: Varies, but trusted sources on B&B provide good deals and excellent service.

Quality: Over the time I have used the Sharps, I have only had a few blades that were dull open first use.

Sharpness: Very good but not quite on par with a Derby in my usual set up.

Longevity: Like Kyle (the original Kyle), I can only get 2-3 shaves per blade before I need to replace it.

Smoothness of Shave: Very smooth. I find the blade to be forgiving and smooth for 2-3 shaves but not as smooth as a Derby blade.

Packaging: the blades are double wrapped in paper and packed in cardboard boxes. Nothing fancy, but they require a separate blade safe for disposal.

Kyle
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
D
I'm surprised it took so long for others to discover these babies.. I've been using them in my rotation since January and have thought they are among the best blades. I I like them with my older Gillettes and even my GEM 3 piece shaves masterfully with them..

For 14 buckaroos or so for 100 blades including shipping on Ebay these can't be beat. I believe the seller I got them from was Howard1616..
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a 1/2 lot of these blades from RichGem(tyx!) and finally got around to using them this week. I have my 38C loaded and have shaved so far with HoneyBee Bay Rum and Tabac SSoaps.

These blades are very smooth and sharp w/o being dangerous. They remind me of the Swedish G's in how they shave, but the difference is the price.

I was able to do 2 passes.WTG and XTG and obtain BBS;normally, I would need a Feather loaded in the Slant to accomplish this feat!

What's funny is that when I opended the package and took the blade out of it's wrappings, I felt that because of its thinness as compared to other blades,it lacked metal(and mettle!) This I thought would be an interesting shave , but one in which my expectations were low. I guess you really cannot judge a book, err blade by its cover!

I'm just sorry it took me so long to buying some!

Marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Sorry SSLStudio, I meant to write this ages ago, with Xmas and all, I know - bad excuses, so here goes:

Price: Free to try from SSL studio, so a 10 here!

Quality: I gave a 7 here. For me, not quite as good as Derbys but very close behind.

Sharpness: For me this wasn't great. The blades seemed to nic quite often and i found myself covering more passes than I usually do.

Longevity: Again, not as good as Derbys in my opinion. The blades seemed to dull after just a couple of shaves, and I wouldn't consider myself as having a 'course' beard.

Smoothness of Shave: Pretty good, not a problem here.

Packaging: I gave a 4 here. I kind of liked the retro looking card pack, but the durability of it isn't great and there also is no 'used blade compartment' common on the plastic type packages.

Summary: They won't beat Derbys for me, but YMMV:wink2:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price: I grabbed mine at Rene's Christmas sale, and, for $10.50 shipped for a 100 blades, these puppies were a steal.

Quality: The blade that immediately came to mind as it touched my face was a Swedish Gillette. More forgiving than a Feather, but you won't lose any closeness. And I haven't had a bad blade yet, so quality control is clearly much better than the Israelis.

Sharpness: Almost as sharp as a Feather. Again, quite close to the Swedes.

Longevity: Two shaves. In the interests of experimenting for you gentlemen I have indeed tried a third shave, and the decrease in quality is quite significant. Now, it's still possible to get a half-decent shave from it, but it's not at all something I'd suggest.

Smoothness of Shave: As good as you'll get with a Swede or Feather.

Packaging: Okay, so the blades are in a flimsy cardboard box, but at least they're double-wrapped. No, it's not the greatest packaging in the world, but it's clearly an excellent attempt at providing a sufficiently secure package at the lowest possible price, and it's an effort that I'm quite pleased with.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
:thumbup1:

The blade is sharp, smooth at the same time. It has a very different feel while shaving. Not like any other blade I've tried (feather, personna, israeli, derby, swede) I couldn't quite figure it out at first, it just shaved different. Thinking about for a short while, I would guess that the blade is thicker or heavier than other blades. Sturdier. A much welcome change-of-pace/blade.

All in all, a superb shave. BBS to the max. I get all my trouble spots (jawline, neck) with ease. It looks like I had my whiskers laser-removed. Very smooth, very clean shave.

I got so excited about these blades when I first got them, I mailed a few out for free.

*I give longevity a 10, knowing what to expect out of it....make no mistake, this is a one or (at most) two shave blade.

attachment.php
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Kyle really has said it all.
I now use Sharp blades for all my "Mission Critical " shaves. They are very forgiving...so if I am going out for a night.....I use a Sharp. Just use it once and throw away....with no nicks or burn. I have yet to find a razor/Sharp combination which does not give an excellent shave.

Brian
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave