What's new

Sharp Practice

awesome little book has plenty of humour and good tips and comments.

Ideal for any male, i wish I had this book when I was a teenager.

It is a pity he doesn't mention the name of razors used though I guess it shows he is more about method than the brands:001_tongu
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
1.00 star(s)
Imagine walking into an old, weathered pub. The kind that has lots of antiqued brass (by time, not chemicals), wainscoting, oil lamps, a fireplace, and real wood and leather seating. You strike up a conversation with the gentleman next to you at the bar, and somehow the conversation turns to shaving. You know next to nothing about the subject. Only enough to somehow remove most of the hair from your face with some level of pain and discomfort. You find that this gentleman knows quite a bit about the subject, both in history and practice. He sits down at a table in a quiet corner and tells you in a no nonsense way the ways to go about shaving, the hows, and the whys. He doesn't have any strong opinions, but leaves it up to you to use the information he relates to make informed decisions. During the conversation, he also relates bits about the history of shaving and personal stories from various points of his life. In the end, you come away with a new appreciation of the subject and feel compelled to make some positive changes to your daily regimen.

A pleasant, laid back conversation over a pint. That's how Anders Larsen's "Sharp Practice" reads. While organized into a different subject per chapter, it never feels like it leaves off one subject to pick another up. It just flows in a natural, informal manner. The basic table of contents is as follows:

Chapter 1: The Cut-throat Razor
Chapter 2: The Safety Razor
Chapter 3: The Electric Razor
Chapter 4: Preparation
Chapter 5: The Shave
Chapter 6: Mopping Up
Chapter 7: Stropping and Honing the Cut-throat Razor
Chapter 8: Headshaving
Chapter 9: Common Chaving Problems
Chapter 10: Moustaches and Beards
Chapter 11: Why I Wrote This Book

Each chapter is prefaced by a mini chapter with some historical shaving topic from the Dawn of Man to Castro and Guevara. The back of the book contains some useful wetshaving addresses such as Trumpers, Classic Shaving, and The Gentleman's Shop. There is also a list of books referred to.

The author injects a lot of humor into the book, quite a bit of directed at himself. He has led quite a colorful life and has the stories to prove it. Many of these involve mistakes he has made and I found myself smiling with the knowledge that I made many of the same ones.

The book itself is very well made. Heavy paper, a strong binding, and a robust dust jacket. There are limited black and white illustrations, but most of the descriptions are verbal. It would look great on display with your gear, on a coffee table, or on the bookshelf.

There really isn't a whole lot to criticize about the book, and much to praise. It's funny, insightful, classy, and even passionate in a low key way. The author relates a lot of information without too much detail (that's what forums are for :) and only stresses that it is up to the reader to find what works best for himself. My criticisms of the book, if you can call them that, are more due to some generalizations he has made. Things we would quibble about back and forth here on B&B. Ultimately, there is nothing that would steer someone new to wetshaving awry. I would recommend this book to anyone from newbie to experienced shaver. It has something for everyone in between.

I should mention for the sake of being fair and balanced that I received this book free of charge from the author. I inquired with him a while back as to if and when the book would be available in the US and he kindly offered to send me a copy if I would give it an honest review. I have attempted to do just that.

Mr. Larsen has helped to fill a nearly empty niche as far as wetshaving goes in the book world. The only thing comparable that I know of is Zaoui amd Malka's "The Art of Shaving," and it reads like a manual, albeit a nicely made and photographed one. Give "Sharp Practice" a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)