What's new

Semogue Silvertip Brush #730

I bought this brush from John at ShavingEssentials.com (great people/company to buy from by the way) and was a little skeptical that such a great brush would be so inexpensive, but my worries were soon squashed. The brush had the typical new brush smell, but after a few bowls of Proraso creme lather it's subsided. I must report that this brush makes lather super quick and it hold's a boat load of it. The handle is perfect, I love it, very ergonomic, great grip, not too big, not too small, just right.

The brush is firm, but very soft, it worked great on a few different soaps, yet it spread perfectly for a few cremes I tried. The density number I rated might be a little misleading because I find it hard for a brush to have it's knot packed and then be open enough to work well cremes. My main brush for cremes has been a C&E (Edwin Jagger) Super Badger Large and in comparison this Semogue 730 is very comparible in it's lather generating ability, but it's a little firmer, so it works good on soaps too. Not so limp it just spins around on top of the soap without picking anything up, but just right. Actually with about 10 spins with this brush being wet I was starting to produce lather on the soap puck.

This brush will be one of my regulars, and for a bang for the buck rating I give it a 20.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Well, i own several Semogues (the factory is 3 streets down...) and all work smoothly and are terrific :w00t: doing some nice lather.

Of course, they have a small problem: they are not widely spread as they deserve outside Portugal...lack of advertising and image...:frown: and it's a pity, such nice jewels so underrated.

Pronounced exactly like Smog :001_rolle
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I am a newbie and this is my second brush but I am really impressed. At $55 (from Shaving Essentials) this brush is a wonderful addition. My first brush was a EJ best badger and I really like it. The EJ is great for my creams and for exfoliation. My new Semogue #730 is really a pleasure to use. It is wonderfully soft but firm. It is gentle on the face but not at all "floppy". It is fabulous for lathering with soaps (Tabac currently). It is the same dimensions as the EJ best badger but the bloom is not as wide and I really like that. For me it works better in the soap bowl and for face lathering. There was a little "funky badger" smell that disappeared within a week. The acrylic handle is comfortable but I wish that the Semogue company would engrave or embed their name/trademark into the handle. The Semongue #730 silvertip brush is a great complement to my EJ best badger and is now my go to brush. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)