What's new

Semogue 830 Boar

Pros: Great Handle Design: faceted edges are non-slip. Perfect shape. Nice weight.
Highest quality Boar bristle I have ever seen.; no break-in required.
Inexpensive.
Perfect knot and loft size.
Has lasted me for years of daily use.
Cons: The dyed black stripe may put some folks off.
Not everyone likes red for a handle color.
Just read what I said in the Pros. This is not like the avereage Boar bristle. The other Bore bristle brushes I have tried are very stiff like a whisk broom (Omega for example). Not the Semogue. The bristles are just firm enough but soft enough at the same time with just enough give. If you like a soft floppy brush, then badger is for you. OBTW - nothing wrong with a floppy brush; it's all personal preference.

I have tried a few brushes; including badger. This is my hands down favorite.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Once broken in it beats all other brushes
Cons: takes 10-15 shaves to break (but so what?!)
Once this brush is broken in it blows away all other brushes!
Super soft (softer than my fine badgers) and has an incredible bloom on it!
I use it for face lathering and it is stiff yet soft
I don't know that any other boar can come close to this brush. I was losing 1-2 hairs every shave in the beginning, but I'm not too concerned just yet because it has definitely slowed down on the shedding after about 10 shaves
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent All Around Boar
Cons: dyed to look like badger
In my humble opinion, for the price, this beautiful brush is hard to beat! The lovely clear acrylic handle! The perfect knot size for face lathering. and the beautiful bloom makes this the boar to beat!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, Latherability, Backbone, Size
Cons: none
This brush is a lathering beast! I primarily use this brush to face lather soaps, but have been using it lately for creams as well. it took me about three weeks to really break this brush in and since then it has continued to get even softer and softer. when the bristles are wet it is one of the softest brushes i have ever felt, yet it has the backbone and stiffness to absolutely destroy soaps! i have pretty small hands and this brush feels perfect in my hands. i also have a pretty small face and it gives good coverage on my face without being to large to face lather. if you are thinking about getting into boar brushes, you will not be disappointed in this brush.... oh and it is probably the coolest looking brush you can buy as well.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great latherer, great price.
Cons: None
I've been wetshaving about 2 years now. I've used nothing but silvertip brushes. I started with a $100 Baxter, then moved to a $200 handmade Rodney Neep super silvertip. I travel for a living, so I thought I'd pick up a cheap travel brush. Looks like I'm going to have to buy another as this is my favorite brush...after the first use! To make my lather, I have a bowl with some Col Conk melted into it. Into the brush I put a pea sized amount of Proraso. Swirl the brush over the Col Conk, and the lather is awesome. I've always read that boar was a poor retainer of water...well duh, there's a sink full of water right in front of me, just dip the brush in as needed. I'm going to order a 620, based on the comments here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks, Price, Feel, Quality
Cons: As with all boars, takes a little time to break-in
Big Fan! My go-to brush with soaps. Lost a few hairs in the first couple of weeks, but settled down nicely. Tips were fairly soft to start with, and have improved slightly since. Only gripe is that I wish the same handle were a little longer (maybe 1 cm). That said, it does its job very well and is a pleasure to use. I’ve moved primarily to soaps since acquiring this brush (RR La Famiglia line may be partially to blame for that also).
Great brush. Compares very strongly to my medium EJ BBB and restored Ever Ready with 22mm TGN 2-band.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, nice loft
Cons: takes ages to dry
Well where do I start....
I have many a Badger Brush, mostly from Kent brushes, and some simpsons....

I bought this as a cheap every day brush, to save the Badgers.....

it's not a bad brush at all, nice loft, nice soft-ish tips, lots of backbone.

Some people rave about Boar brushes, I'd say, they do exactly what they say on the tin, and be done with it.

Are they better than a Badger, absolutley not, are they a good brush for the price..YES..

few points to note, I have had a Kent BK8 for about 4 years now, and used to use it everyday, not one single hair was or still is lost.

2 days after using this brush, there is 4 missing already, and boar takes an age to dry....like an age !

for the money...a good starting brush, if you have badgers...don't bother buying one of these.

:mellow: Over all...Average
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Great boar brush from Semogue.

Lathers terrifically, nice dense knot, very soft on the face. Digs well into soaps, and the handle is very comfortable and classy looking. I really like the acrylic.

Nothing bad to say about it. There may be others some like better, but this is still really good.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Quick informal comments (no ratings submitted): This is, in my opinion, the Rooney 3/1 Super of Boars. It's an excellent all-arounder, though perhaps it's better suited for face lathering with soaps. The build quality is superb, the bristle is well-packed without being overly dense, and the tip softness (especially once broken in) is velvety smooth. Is it somewhat pricey? Sure, I suppose - but it's an excellent brush that will not disappoint.
For my very first review I have chosen the part of my den that have surpriced me the most.

As many others I started with a cheap boar brush, I tried a couple different ones before I went over to badgers instead, the boars I had used were just not comfortable at all.

After a few months reading all the praise of a good boar brush here on B&B I decided to try a high end boar, and asked our fellow members for advice.
Of all the replies I got, Semogue in general was the most adviced along with some Omegas.

Based on the advice from other members I was left with a couple Semogue brushes, my choice fell on the 830 because af the looks of the handle.

Price: Quite expencive for a boar brush, but worth every penny.

Quality: When you first hold this brush, you feel the quality, it's well built and after about 30 shaves it haven't shed a hair.

Density: Based on my previous experience with boars, very good.

Overall Stiffness: Quite soft for a boar, but work great with both soaps and creams.

Softness: This was what surprised me, even at the first shave I got a badger like feeling, and the more it gets broken in, the better it gets. I had never thought a boar could be so soft and gentle!

Ergonomic: YMMV, but I love this handle, it feels great in my hand, I am definitely getting more brushes with this handle.

Latherability: When I first got this brush I was bowl lathering, it needed a little extra effort to get as good lather as I got with my badgers, but after breaking in it has gotten very close.
Now I have more or less converted to face lathering, and for that purpose this brush is great, it whips up great lather in no time.

If you're looking for a boar brush this one will be a good choice, with that said, I donæt think you can go wrong with any Semogue :001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have a few Semogues - the 1305, 620, 1460 and now this 830. I sold my SOC, as I've come to prefer small to medium sized brushes. I mention the others because I've been through break in with a few. This one is a doddle - very easy to work with during break in. It's at this point I offer a review, as I've got a good handle on where this brush is going.

The 1305 was the most frustrating because with mine, the tips 'quilled' up like a paintbrush for a week or two. The SOC was just so dense, it took about 3 weeks. The 1460 served up consistent lather and soft tips from a few shaves in.

The 830 felt very soft from the first couple of shaves. Lather has been consistent and very good, using either soap or cream. I'll give an opinion based on the 1305, as they're very similar, and many people are often 50/50 on which to buy.

As mentioned, the 1305 may frustrate at break in, but it turns into a fabulous brush - very soft, but still plenty of backbone. The 830 has the same specs and hair, but the knot is set at a different angle, due to it being used in a different handle. This means it splays more than the 1305. To allow for this angle, Leon at Vintage Scent has confirmed elsewhere that 10% extra bristles were added. Real world difference are quite marked; even early at break in the 830 is a far softer brush, and provides less backbone than the 1305.

Quality: Excellent. Never had a badly finished brush from Semogue. Not one has shed a single hair.

Density: Good

Overall Stiffness: Very soft, even at break in. Should get even softer though. Those wanting more backbone, should consider the 1305, or for extra extra backbone, the 620.

Softness: At the tips - very soft. Very badger-like.

Ergonomic: Personal, but fits my hand great.

Latherability: Great quality and consistent latherer, even during the first week, with a variety of products - P160, Speick (stick) TOBS Avo, and Proraso cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Price: This is a well made boar brush.

Quality; Typical Semogue - excellent. I do not think it has shed a hair in 30+ shaves.

Density; = 9

Stiffness; this has become quite a soft - floppyish - brush since it broke.

Softness ; One of the most luxuriously soft brushes I have used.

Ergonomic ; = 9

Latherability ; it is a workhorse.

I prefer to use this brush with creams, it is very luxurious.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I can't believe this hasn't been reviewed yet. Semogue makes some of the finest boars and this one is no exception.

Price: For a boar this brush is rather expensive at about $30 shipped, however, given the quality of the brush and everything that comes with it, this brush is a bargain. I dare you to find a brush this good in a badger for the same price - not happening. So it gets a 10

Quality: Semogue is known for their high quality boar hairs, and the semogue 830 showcases this. The knot is extra stuffed, the acrylic handle is a beauty and even the badger imitation banding are all well done.

Density: Having used a number of semogue boars, I will compare the density to them. The 830 is extra stuffed and it shows compared to say the 620 or 1305.

Stiffness: The semogue 620 beats this brush for stiffness having the most backbone of any brush I've used. That said, this brush still has plenty of backbone and will handle both soaps and creams alike.

Softness: The 830 once broken in is one of the softest brushes I have. It is great for face lathering and given that it is a boar, the softness is quite a surprise.

Ergonomic: I have to ding the brush a little here at the handle is too short for me and is not the most pleasing brush to use from an ergonomical standpoint. The 2000 and SOC have much more ergonomically friendly handles.

Latherability: Once broken in, the 830 for provide consistent dense and creamy lather on a regular basis. Mine took several weeks to a month to be consistent.

Overall: I use this brush exclusively for face lathering soaps, but it will work just as well for bowl lathering soaps and creams. I go back and forth on which brush I prefer for face lathering between the 620 and 830, but bottom line, you can't go wrong with either. The 830 is definitely softer and has more density than the 620, while having slightly less backbone (probably due to the higher loft). Semogues make great boars and for the prices, you can try several ones out to see which you prefer. I personally believe everyone should own a semogue boar and the 830 is definitely near the top of that list.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)