What's new

Semogue 830 Boar

Item Description

I can't believe this hasn't been reviewed yet. Semogue makes some of the finest boars and this one is no exception.

Price: For a boar this brush is rather expensive at about $30 shipped, however, given the quality of the brush and everything that comes with it, this brush is a bargain. I dare you to find a brush this good in a badger for the same price - not happening. So it gets a 10

Quality: Semogue is known for their high quality boar hairs, and the semogue 830 showcases this. The knot is extra stuffed, the acrylic handle is a beauty and even the badger imitation banding are all well done.

Density: Having used a number of semogue boars, I will compare the density to them. The 830 is extra stuffed and it shows compared to say the 620 or 1305.

Stiffness: The semogue 620 beats this brush for stiffness having the most backbone of any brush I've used. That said, this brush still has plenty of backbone and will handle both soaps and creams alike.

Softness: The 830 once broken in is one of the softest brushes I have. It is great for face lathering and given that it is a boar, the softness is quite a surprise.

Ergonomic: I have to ding the brush a little here at the handle is too short for me and is not the most pleasing brush to use from an ergonomical standpoint. The 2000 and SOC have much more ergonomically friendly handles.

Latherability: Once broken in, the 830 for provide consistent dense and creamy lather on a regular basis. Mine took several weeks to a month to be consistent.

Overall: I use this brush exclusively for face lathering soaps, but it will work just as well for bowl lathering soaps and creams. I go back and forth on which brush I prefer for face lathering between the 620 and 830, but bottom line, you can't go wrong with either. The 830 is definitely softer and has more density than the 620, while having slightly less backbone (probably due to the higher loft). Semogues make great boars and for the prices, you can try several ones out to see which you prefer. I personally believe everyone should own a semogue boar and the 830 is definitely near the top of that list.

Latest reviews

Pros: Great Handle Design: faceted edges are non-slip. Perfect shape. Nice weight.
Highest quality Boar bristle I have ever seen.; no break-in required.
Inexpensive.
Perfect knot and loft size.
Has lasted me for years of daily use.
Cons: The dyed black stripe may put some folks off.
Not everyone likes red for a handle color.
Just read what I said in the Pros. This is not like the avereage Boar bristle. The other Bore bristle brushes I have tried are very stiff like a whisk broom (Omega for example). Not the Semogue. The bristles are just firm enough but soft enough at the same time with just enough give. If you like a soft floppy brush, then badger is for you. OBTW - nothing wrong with a floppy brush; it's all personal preference.

I have tried a few brushes; including badger. This is my hands down favorite.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Once broken in it beats all other brushes
Cons: takes 10-15 shaves to break (but so what?!)
Once this brush is broken in it blows away all other brushes!
Super soft (softer than my fine badgers) and has an incredible bloom on it!
I use it for face lathering and it is stiff yet soft
I don't know that any other boar can come close to this brush. I was losing 1-2 hairs every shave in the beginning, but I'm not too concerned just yet because it has definitely slowed down on the shedding after about 10 shaves
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent All Around Boar
Cons: dyed to look like badger
In my humble opinion, for the price, this beautiful brush is hard to beat! The lovely clear acrylic handle! The perfect knot size for face lathering. and the beautiful bloom makes this the boar to beat!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)