What's new

Semogue 1470 Boar

Pros: Great price, the tips break in really soft, the handle is quite ergonomic
Cons: The brush is a little less dense than i would appreciate, but only slightly
It's a great little face latherer, but if you soak it too long it will become too floppy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
I've bought a few Semogues, they're cheap, well made and excellent quality.

This one is no exception. I bought the 1460, which is the same brush, but painted.

proxy.php

Same size and loft as the more widely known 620, but with better bristles. I found I prefer small to medium brushes and this one fits that bill. The 1305 is as big as I will go with a boar, having found the SOC too big and floppy once broken in.

The 1460 broke in even before I knew it. Other Sem's have taken 2-3 weeks, this one lathered and slathered 2-3 shaves in. Tips go nice and soft, but retain decent backbone, although the 1305 still wins out here I think.

Because this brush isn't too dense it can load really easily, and for me, holds enough lather for 3 passes more consistently than the 620. But here I am playing around with brushes and soaps, so take that with a pinch.

It's hard to go wrong with this for about $15 delivered.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I can't believe I haven't reviewed my all-time favourite boar brush!

I bought this a while ago from vintagescent and at this price, I should have bought 2!

The quality is just fantastic. It has a well sealed and great looking wooden handle with Semogue branded on the base of the handle, very classy! The build quality is excellent and it only shed about 3 hair on the first lather and none since.

It is not highly dense which is why I love it. It will put the lather onto my face without a problem, instead of hogging it like dense brushes do. It will hold enough lather for my full 3 passes, which initially I didn't think it would do.

The loft is 50mm so it has great backbone but not so much that is doesn't have good "spring". The tips are great! They broke in very fast, just 3 test lathers and it was good to go and then became great within just 2 weeks of use!

The handle is a great size and easy to use.

So, whether you are a beginner or a pro in this game, you owe it to yourself to try out this fantastic boar brush, you wont regret it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
A great little brush that can really eat into your hard soaps and whip up a ton of lather. I have big hands so the handle is a little on the small side but I've learned to live with that.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This brush is a top notch boar latherer. It breaks in fast thanks to being short loft and not too dense. It feels good on the face and is comfortable. Frankly this is probably my favorite Semogue Boar (making it my favorite Boar period).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I found the 1470 to be a great little brush. It lathers very well & broke in relatively quickly - for a Semogue. I found it to be a little too soft for my liking.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Semogue boars are a cheap option for a lot of brush quality. I'll compare the 1470 to the 620, which have the same dimensions but different grades of hair. The 1470 has a wooden handle that is a little more comfortable than the 620, but they are still not great from an ergonomic standpoint. The density of the 1470 is noticeably less than the 620 as well as the stiffness of the tips. It is definitely softer though and provides decent, repeatable amounts of lather.

Both are great options. If you are looking for a short, dense scrubby brush then go for the 620. If you are looking for a short, less dense soft brush, go with the 1470.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This is an outstanding brush and costs all of $12. I have compared it to 13 other brushes at <http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1991663#post1991663>
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)