What's new

Sellers of Sheffield 5/8 wedge

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine is just a whisker shy of 6/8, and the scales feel like wood. The spacer is kind of odd - I think it could be lead (some kind of metal I can scratch with my fingernail, anyway).

I got it from Blackstangal (you da man, Al!) for a song when I asked if he had something on the heavy side for me to try. This is certainly that - it feels a good three times heavier than my full-hollow Imperial.

As has been mentioned, it is a little harder to put an edge on it (my first wedge, though, so take that for what it's worth), and the lack of jimps can make it slippery, but the sledgehammer heft and the edge this thing takes more than make up for any such minor hassles. I could just about shave dry with this beast. It's by far my favorite razor, and it's the only blade I've found - straight or DE - that consistently allows me to shave against the grain without irritation. I checked y'day, and I was still BBS on my cheeks 8 HOURS after I'd shaved. :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Hi I have a Sellers oblique point wedge with ivory scales I bought off theinvisibleedge.co.uk I find it a great razor. As you say, they seem very heavy.
Here's the first razor I got. I paid £5 for it in an antique shop in Wales, a price I really can't fault. "John Sellers and Sons, Arundel St, Sheffield".

View attachment 8017

It is a really heavy wedge ground razor, feels like a meat cleaver when you pick it up, I like it! There are no jimps or serrations on the tang, so I'd advise against using it with lathery slick hands. Wipe them on the towel first.

View attachment 8018

This razor holds as good an edge as any I own, and it hold it for a LONG time, which is just as well because it takes a while to hone. It is not a "smiling" razor, but the blade is profiled a bit at the tip, so you need to take care to put a good edge on this bit too. Honing takes a little longer due to the large ammount of metal there is to take off.

Because of the totally rigid blade, and the devilishly sharp edge it takes, this razor will mow down the toughest of stubble, even if you are in a hurry and don't have time to hot towel it etc. I have hard whiskers, so this is quite handy for me! Just don't use any pressure. At all. The blade has plenty of weight to do the work by itself, but due to it's rigidity, is totally unforgiving of bad technique. A light touch, a long scything stroke, and it will reward you.

I find this razor to work best with hard soaps, which do not seem to soften the bristles as much as a cream, but are plenty slick enough to let this razor give a really smooth shave.

I've seen a few of these for sale on ebay, and do not hesitate to recommend them. It may take a little work to put an edge on it, but when it takes one, it will give excellent shaves. It looks entirely plain, but it will deliver the goods.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)