What's new

SCS Rosa Damascena EDT (Bulgarian Rose)

I think it's nice, but is more what I'd describe as a fairly single note rose frag; not that it's a problem!

At first spritz, I can detect the tar, geranium, myrrh and a tiny touch of vetiver, but it soon dries down to a fairly linear but slightly musky rose. A few woods are there, but all the other notes are very supportive of the rose and simply lend themselves as "back-up", per se.

As a side note, I might also add that I don't see a ton of similarity to #88. The rose is essentially the same, but the other notes in #88 are pretty different, IMO. Is one better than the other? That depends on personal taste and the situation. As far as I'm concerned, the dark notes of #88 relegate the fragrance to cool, if not gloomy weather. SCS, on the other hand, is more versatile.

Price - Really not bad at all considering the amount of rose oil that's used; there's obviously a lot.

Quality - Surprisingly high considering it doesn't come from a "professional" house.

Packaging - It comes in a bottle. No, I'm dead serious.

Scent - See above.

Complexity - Again, SOMEWHAT linear, but there is some complexity going on here. It's not as complex as #88, however.

Staying Power - Bright and projectile at first spritz, but dries down and stays close to the skin on my person after an hour or so. Not a problem.

Quality of Atomizer - It, like, sprays and stuff.

All in all, definitely one to sample if you're a rose lover.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
D
I'm not a frequent reviewer, but I just discovered the mother/daughter operation called Saint Charles Shave dot com. Recently I ordered a seasonal/limited sample product pack based on Bulgarian Rose oil and so far, the EDT is amazing.

Price: I gave it a 6. It is expensive at $20 per ounce but only because the Bulgarian rose oil is very dear and precious. But it is legit EDT strength so a little on the normal hot spots goes a long way. If price is an issue, they currently offer a sample pack of the shaving soap/After Shave Milk/EDT for $10 plus shipping.

Quality: How do you rate quality of an EDT? Either you like it or you don't. I absolutely love it so there you go. It's a 10. If you haven't tried their products, I highly recommend them. Nothing about their products is cheap except the price on most items.

Packaging: N/A I am reviewing a sample from a 1 mL tube.

Scent: 10. Needless to say, I am blown away. It is masculine yet very distinctive and unique. I will let the ladies describe it for you: "The EDT is a blend of Bulgarian rose, woods, bergamot, vetiver, moss, myrrh, light florals, frangipani, cassis, geranium and tar. It opens sharply and dries down to its heart of rose." I've got a load of fragrances, and this is in my top 2 or 3 already.

Complexity: 9. To me it's very complex. I can smell nearly all of what is described, and while it does dry down to the wonderful Bulgarian Rose scent, there is something else there as well, perhaps powder? And a hint of spiciness.

Staying Power: 9. Lasts a good 6-8 hours to my nose, and several hours more to the nose of others I have asked.

Quality of Atomizer: N/A I assume it's wonderful, as this is their business and they are passionate about it, but I have only the 1mL sample to go by at this time.

Bottom line: I would hate to have this seasonal product disappear into the ether because it's too expensive to make and too hard for a mom/daughter operation to market. That's what these forums are for. Do yourself and future buyers a favor and try this product! Sue is a really nice person to deal with.

Bulgarian Rose, (Rosa Damascena) is produced from the Bulgarian Damask Rose and is very expensive. Only about 1 ounce of oil is obtained from 60,000 Damask rose petals. Most of the roses grown around the world do not produce oil, Rosa Damascena does. These roses are grown and harvested primarily in Bulgaria for the production of it's oil. Bulgarian Rose is a very complex, sweet floral scent. The oil itself is a rich deep orange-yellow color. The Damask rose is well known for its fine fragrance, and their flowers are commercially harvested for rose oil used in perfumery and often referred as to as liquid gold due to the high cost of this oil. The color of this oil is a very dark yellow/orange. We have added no color, nor have we attempted to lighten the deep yellow with titanium dioxide. We hope you enjoy this warm and rich fragrance. (from the SCS Website, seasonals/limited editions page)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)