What's new

SCS New Spice soap

The scent did strike me as egg nog/cake mix ~ something food related.

Not one for me. Otherwise the soap was decent.
Price: $6. Let me say that again......$6. Nuff said.

Quality: Just had my first "true" shave with it.....not a sample.....and I have to say in terms of quality it seems like the best of all the soaps I've tried so far. Very well made.

Scent: I didn't really get an "egg nog" scent like some of the other guys. The only way I can describe it is a creamy sandalwood musk. If that makes any sense. Very sexy and manly.

Lather: Oh wow!!! I love this lather!! So smooth. Silky. Soft. Protective. Long lasting. I could go on and on!! Great stuff.

Efficacy: Once I opened this soap I couldn't resist getting a quick shave in. No prep, just water on my face for a moment. Gave me a DFS with just two passes!! No irritation or anything.

Moisturizing: I only knocked it down 1 for this. I rinsed my face off and towel dried. Didn't use any after shave or balm. My face started feeling a little tight after about 10 mins. This just means my next order is going to be the New Spice after shave splash!!

Overall: This is my new favorite soap in my rotation hands down! When you add a great price, great product, and fast shipping there's really nothing else a man can ask for in a shaving product. I can't wait to try the other soaps!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Weird...my wife smelled it and said "egg nog" too!
I feel that SCS soaps often take a back seat to the other Sue's and after trying them all I really don't know why because this SCS soap to me is clearly the best of the private soap-makers (haven't yet tried QED or TGQ). In fact I think SCS soaps are far superior to the creams (which do get a lot of talk)

Price: Excellent Value. It's only 9 because 10 is reserved for the HBS 6 soap sampler.

Quality: 10

Scent: 10, love the New Spice scent, it burned a bit when new but has mellowed out after I left the container open for some time.

Lather: Excellent lather, I'd give it a 9.5 as 10 is reserved for Tabac but I find it to be excellent. Very very creamy, easy to build. I think the trick is that it needs less water than the other private soapmakers. Once I figured that out, I got excellent, thick, creamy lather in almost no time.

Efficacy: Provides an excellent shave. Very slick, very good at beard softening, very protective, basically the perfect shave. In terms of performance I like it better than any other soap (including Tabac).

Moisturizing: Very good. My skin feels very balanced and conditioned afterwards. I wouldn't need to use an aftershave (but I do anyways).

Overall, great soaps from SCS and I look forward to trying out the rest of the line.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I got a sample of this soap as part of the original Comprehensive Sampler kit, and with all those samples to choose from it took me a while to get around to trying it. I created a spreadsheet to track my impressions of all the samples, with the date I tried them, a numeric score 1-5, and a text box for my comments. SCS New Spice shaving soap received my first 5/5 rating, and was one of only three products to receive a perfect score.

Why? Open the container and let that heavenly scent of warm caramel waft over you. Touch your wet brush to the soap and watch the lather damn near create itself. Lather it on your face and feel the razor glide over your cheek like a greased cue ball over ice. This stuff is the real deal.

My first order to Sue at SCS was not long in following, and a full-sized cake of New Spice soap, plus a bottle of the EdT, were the first two things in my cart. Considering this soap is a mere $5 (!!!!), it is absolutely insane how well it works. I would put it above almost every other soap I have tried, including the vaunted Mitchell's Woolfat and Pre de Provence, and second only to Provence Sante as the finest shaving soap I have used. When you factor in the low price, it's an absolute no-brainer.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price: hands down the best I have seen for the price

Quality: While it does not stand up to MWF, Tabac, or L'occitane It also is less than half the price of its next cheapest competitor in this list.

Scent: outstanding. Seriously, people have not been overhyped this one on the boards

Lather: Not quite the long lasting lather I would like. Have not had enough time with this one to see if adjusting how much water is used will help

Efficacy: After getting this in the mail, I could not resist trying it (even w/o my usual hot shower before hand). Gave a VERY great irritation free shave.

Moisturizing: Acceptable, nothing fantastic in this area.

Highly recommended
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Since I am the first to review this product, I will try to be as thorough as others have. I received this product, along with the matching shower gel and AS milk, as part of a prize from winning an email contest that Sue ran. It is the first of her products that I have tried, but it will not be the last.

Price: It was free! I got just a refill puck, not in a bowl, but generally I don't buy the bowls. I have some cheap plastic ones that I pick up from the container store.

Quality: It was a great soap. I got a great shave with it. Honestly, I thought it lathered as good as the more expensive soap I own (L'Occitane Cade).

Scent: I am horrible at this. But to me, I was reminded of egg nog. I loved it. It is a nice, warm scent. I was a bit worried, because the word spice brought to mind Old Spice which brought to mind old. But this was a great scent. No sharp scents in it. Just mellow and soothing.

Lather: This does have a steeper learning curve than other soaps I have tried. I honestly couldn't get a good lather worked up in a bowl with my C&E best badger. But, when I switched to just lathering on my face, it literally exploded on my face. Nice thick lather, and more than enough for the 2 passes I normally do.

Efficacy: I thought it worked great on my face. I am not yet experienced enough to distinguish a lot of the subtle differences between products. For me, it either does what it should and gives me a smooth shave without any razor burn, or it doesn't. This one did.

Moisturizing: My face didn't feel at all dried out after using this. Some soaps have done that.

Overall, a very fine product from a company that tries hard to keep their client base happy, from everything I have seen. Like I said, with that scent that reminds me of egg nog, I think I have a good Thanksgiving and Christmas shave coming up, combined with that AS milk!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)