What's new

SCS- Morocco

I had the opportunity to try this soap in an early version. I assume that it it about the same as when I tried it. The soap is different from Sue's regular soaps that I love and also different from the new cold process soap. This soap is great at providing all the properties a wet shaver could want except that the puck tends to get real soft real fast. If you keep that in mind you will do well with this soap. I do not recommend a pre-soak at all. Hit it with your moderately soaked brush and get it to the consistency you like (I always believe in squeezing the brush out to get the feel of the lather before face application). The soap will not require heavy reloading since the puck can get pretty soft. I have moderately sensitive skin. The soap may cause a bit of a tingle on the third or subsequent pass. Even though I have had this sensation I have kept the soap in rotation because it has performed so well otherwise. If you have sensitive skin you may want to pass on this soap. Otherwise, give it a try. It gives a great shave.
Morocco is the first soap I've tried from St. Charles Shave, and a new one from Sue. This one uses red Moroccan clay and looks like the red clay in Georgia (or the red cliffs in Sedona, AZ) as a result. I wanted to try it because of the clay; I've tried different formulations with kaolin and bennonite clays. I think clay content can be one of the most important parts of a shave soap's formulation. On to the review:
Price- At $6.00, Sue's soaps are pretty darn cheap. Her shipping is a wee bit high, but she posted awhile back about the need to increase shipping to cover her actual costs. I ordered some other soaps, so it really wasn't unreasonable, plus she tossed in some generous samples of some of her other products.
Quality- I've been reading others laud Sue's products for several years now, and I can see why.
Scent- For some reason this one smells a bit like calomine lotion to me, but maybe it's just the reddish color of the soap. It's not an unpleasant smell at all and lasts quite long.
Lather- It doesn't explode with suds like some soaps (ie. Tabac), but I'm not a big fan of meringue-like lather anyway. It was plenty for three full passes, maybe four.
Efficacy- Here's where this soap really shines! This is SLICK! This clay must really do the trick. This is the only soap I've found that can compete with tallow-based triple milled soaps. I got a great BBS shave with nary a nick or weeper in sight.
Moisturizing- Not bad. I think the clay might be a tad drying, but I always use a balm or lotion anyway with any soap and even most cremes.

All in all, I think Sue has something different with this formulation and a real winner. Please use this thread for discussion if you don't wish to write a review.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)