What's new

Schick Super Stainless w/ Krona Comfort Edge

These blades shave very well. I have noticed that they require more passes than I typically perform with other blades such as a Feather. However, the final result is very smooth. Smoother than any modern production blade I have used.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Close, comfortable, multiple shaves & vintage
Cons: Not as available as I wish
Another vintage blade that out performs some of today's production. IMHO this blade out performs the famous 74* in comfort and equals it in longevity. As I'm writing this I have had 10 absolutely wonderful shave with the same blade and it shows no sign of losing its edge. I tried it in both a Gillette British Rocket HD and a fat handled NEW with equally impressive results. I try to purchase these every chance I get.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
So my latest "AD" has been VNOSBAD, or Vintage New Old Stock Blade Acquisition Disorder. It started after I picked up some spoilers on the Bay. I also noticed there are not many reviews on here regarding the older stock, so over the next few weeks, look for reviews of other blades, as I work through some of my new, NOS stuff. For now though, on the the review of the Schicks:

Price: I gave it a 5, since I got 50 for about $16.00 on the bay. A little pricey compared to something like a Derby, but not too bad considering it is a vintage item, that is also usable unlike the carbon blades. I would also consider it a luxury item, as the experience is simply sublime.

Quality: Definitely a 10. These things have kept a clean shaveable rust free edge for over 50 years. That speaks for itself.

Sharpness: Gave it an nine. They are not as sharp as a Feather, which is my personal benchmark blade. Sharper than a Derby or a Shark though. They cut through whiskers almost as good as the Feather, but 9.5 isn't an option in the drop-down.

Longevity: I will have to update this, as I only have two shaves on it. That explains the zero rating. There has been no noticeable decline in shave quality over the first two shaves though, so expectation are high. Anticipate getting 10 or so shaves out of this blade.

Smoothness of Shave: Again, this is where these blades really shine. I would put a spoiler at a 10, and again, no 9.5 available. I would say that from day to day, this blade and the Spoilers could jockey between the 10 rating. They are INCREDIBLY smooth.

Packaging: I love old stuff, and these fit the bill. Cool looking back-card, cool graphics on the dispenser. Metal dispenser that just looks quality. The colors are a cool red green and off white.

Overall, I would say if you can get your hands on some, and want the full-on DE experience from the 60's to the 80's, this is your blade.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)