What's new

Schick Plus Platinum

Very good blades. Might be my favorites from the "Golden Age".
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are wonderful blades from the Golden Age of DE Shaving.

I found a pack of 5 of these at a flea market for $1. Can't beat the price. I understand they go for considerably more on the auction sites, and after using them, I know why.

They seem to work well in any of the razors I've used them in, and are sharp, smooth, and forgiving. Even in a Slim or Super Adjustable cranked to 9, I still have very little trouble with weepers or irritation. They seem to have a good life span and last for at least 5 to 6 shaves without losing quality.

Vintage blades like these seem to stick in the dispenser sometimes, but once you get them out, they're clean and glue-spot free. The back of the dispenser can be used for blade disposal when you're done with them.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I read quite a lot about vintage blades before dipping my toe in. Price, obviously, was a real concern. These go for about a buck a blade, which is pretty steep, but they are readily available on the 'bay.

I settled in to these knowing that I had to get at least 5 shaves out of them, and they did not disappoint. I'm on my second one, and I can say that I'm very pleased. I got six shaves out of the first one, and the last shave was actually very good, but I'm very leery of pushing a blade too far. The second blade doesn't feel appreciably different, but is a touch sharper, so I can feel some difference attributable to wear.

It's a sharp blade, but I found that it was very smooth, and required no break-in period to get comfortable shaves. It is more comfortable than a bleue extra, in my opinion, and is ranking high among my all-time favorites.

As to explain my ratings, I put price as a 6 because lets face it, a buck a blade is a lot of coin. For quality, I think it rates top-shelf. Sharpness, smoothness, longevity and packaging all get high marks, but I declined the '10' rating because there just might be something to surpass them.

I don't know if I'm going to commit to buying and using vintage blades only, but I have enough of these to last awhile, and will certainly be rotating them in, periodically.
-- Chet
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave