What's new

Schick 2002

bubalu;984302 said:
I don't think that these blades were a predecessor to the Twin blade cartridge (except maybe Schicks), but rather a response to the Gillette Trac II. As I recall these blades were wildly unpopular where I lived (Pittsburgh). I guess the thought was that they were just ripping off the Trac II, and that the Trac II must be better since it was an engineered cartridge and Schick is just slapping together two blades. I also remember many people thinking that the Trac II was just nonsense, yet within a few years just about everybody migrated to it.

You're absolutely correct. This was an answer to a question that no one asked. It was a cheap attempt to cash in on the Trac II craze. Whereas the Trac II was probably the best cartridge razor ever made, these things are like a Mad Magazine parody.

I have a pack that is about thirty years old. Shaving with one of these is not something I can ever see myself attempting to do again. These blades tug and scratch at your whiskers while leaving your face red and stubbly.

The only recommendation I have to purchase these is as a curiosity piece, or as part of a collection.
I don't think that these blades were a predecessor to the Twin blade cartridge (except maybe Schicks), but rather a response to the Gillette Trac II. As I recall these blades were wildly unpopular where I lived (Pittsburgh). I guess the thought was that they were just ripping off the Trac II, and that the Trac II must be better since it was an engineered cartridge and Schick is just slapping together two blades. I also remember many people thinking that the Trac II was just nonsense, yet within a few years just about everybody migrated to it.
Wowza, never imagined this!
Are these still available somewhere? Seem like a novelty to try ;-)
I have so far only tried one of these blades, and it is quite strange. It feels just like a normal DE blade to me, but it provides a smoother shave. The dispenser is quite nice, and the blades look well-made. However, I must say that I was glad to get back to my DE blades, as the double blades were causing me irritation, which even an aftershave splash/balm would not cure. Also, I cannot do the same S-N passes in the middle of my neck (where my hair grows into opposite directions) that I can with a single normal blade. However, the shave was very smooth, and fairly close. I can't really comment on longevity, as I changed my blade after 3-4 shaves (the irritation was getting too much).

To me these seem almost like one last marketing ploy to get some more purchases for DE products after the cartridge razors appeared, and although they work well, they are not for me. That said, as long as you don't get the irritation, the blades would work very well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I've had my first couple of shaves with these funky blades and here are my first impressions.

These blades are a different beast and feel very different from any other blade I have ever used. The first thing I noticed was that they pulled a lot more than other blades. They pulled enough that I was kind of shocked by it. No problem though... After a few strokes I adjusted to this and continued on. About 3/4 into the first pass, I realized by the lack of bleeding on my face that these blades were mild and fairly forgiving. This feature is a must have for any blade I use on a regular basis. (The last time I used a Feather, my kids asked me if the "Hash Slinging Slasher" had gotten to me. I think the Hash Slinging Slasher has something to do with Sponge Bob , but I digress...). First pass done...Hmmm, Not bad.. Onto the second pass. Much of the same. Even ATG, this blade caused no irritation or weapers. When I washed my face after the second pass I was very close to BBS. The shave was actually as good as I usually get with three passes from the best of my other blades. No need to go for a third pass, I was done. Overall, I think they are great blades. A little strange feeling at first, but a great blade none the less. I can't help but wonder how the "stubble rubble" gets out from between the two blade edges... But that's probably a question for another day.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I got a really nice shave this and the other morning using these blades. They seem heavier than an individual DE blade but they do NOT appear to look like two individual blades stacked on top of each other as the photo does. My camera doesn't have the ability to take close up photos so I can't get one, but I might be able to get a scan of one.

The center of the blade seems to be as thin as a regular DE but when it moves to the edge there are clearly two blade edges. The bottom "edge" sticks out just a little more than the top "edge."

I was selling these but didn't want to put up a review until after the sale, for obvious reasons. All those that bought a pack, I would appreciate a review.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)