What's new

Savile Row Silvertip 3118

Wow! This is no ordinary badger. I've used Simpsons & Rooneys but this little guy can hold its own with ANY of 'em! Crazy good lather and feels GREAT on my face in the morning - what a brush! Short, squat, but full of life. Excellent! Highly recommend.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I love this thing!
It is the perfect balance of softness and stiffness.
I lathers awesome. In around 5 seconds I have lather I could shave with.
Quality? It has only lost 1 hair in the first 2 years I have had it. Compared to my Simpson which loses 2 or 3 every time I use it.

I cannot recommend this brush enough. Provides tons of lather. I don't know why anyone would ever need anything bigger.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This brush is the perfect size for me. Great for lathering in a bowl, and ideal for face lathering (helps you get lather where you want it and not where you don't). I do tend to like slimmer handles, so that's the only area where I wish it were different. The lightbulb shape is my preferred profile (vs. fan shaped).

Based on the performance of "Il Bambino," I've sold my 4" brushes and going with my 3-3/4" Vulfix and 2-1/2" SR 31118.

Dave
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Excellent little brush. Lathers very nicely, mini densely packed and soft tips. Scubby when needed and luxurious when applied. The handle is a tad small and my preference goes to the 3118 handle or even better the 3120. Same quality brush only a tad bigger. All the SR brushes are top notch. Can't go wrong with any of the Savile Row and plenty of knot sizes to chose from!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
My shaving experience changed dramatically when I started using this brush...It is perfect. It's small enough that the lather process lasts a while, but full enough that it's not ridiculous. It's soft but not floppy. And boy does it lather. And at its price, it's a total bargain...I'd recommend it to anyone.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
This was my "starter" brush and after using it for several months now I have
absolutely no symptoms of SBAD as the SR 3118 is everything I could want in a tool. I do have: RAD, B(lade)AD, SCAD, real bad, but I do not have SBAD. The SR 3118 is just so superb I think I may be dissapointed in any other brush, so I feel no need or desire to try other brush's.

This is a great brush for anyone. I particularly recommend it to the newbies attention as this lovely "tool" makes whipping up a batch of perfect Badger Batter a simple task. I can create enough lather with just a teensy tiny dab of cream for 6 or more passes. Since, I do 3 passes + a TouchUp. I keep trying to use less 'n less cream to get started. This brush lathers up so well it's almost ridiculous. I may have paid a little more for the brush but I'm saving money on creams & soaps due to the SR3118's efficacy.

The brush's size also allows for precision application of lather so your face is
not all lathered up where it doesn't need to be lathered up. And it is lathered up precisely where it should be lathered up.

The Silvertips are delightfully stiff when face lathering which I think helps to
get the whispers standing up tall & proud for a mowing. Yet the brush is
smooth and soft when "painting".

Unless, I missed something, my SR 3118 has not lost ONE SINGLE HAIR to date. The pride of craftsmanship is quite apparent in the SR line.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I was considering buying an SR 3722 since I didn't own any Savile Row brushes and wanted to try one. I already have five 22/23 mm brushes in my rotation so decided to buy the 3118 to give a bit more variety. What can I say - this brush exceeds my expcectations on all counts. It was reasonably priced, Charles shipped priority for a nominal cost and the brush was in my hands a couple of days after I ordered it. The workmanship is excellent - symmetrical knot, well-finished handle. The bristle is fine quality with a good stiffness and soft tips - almost as good as brushes costing several times as much. Despite the small size, this brush delivers plenty of lather and it is comfortable and easy to use. The brush holds plenty of water. I have used the brush with a variety of creams and two hard soaps - good results with all of them. No shedding. This is also the first badger brush I have owned that smelt OK from the first use. I had to make a spacer for my brush stand since the loop was too large for the small diameter handle - not a problem, more a comment.

I highly recommend adding a 3118 if you have a collection of brushes. If you are in the market for a good quality starter brush, this would be a good one to consider even though it costs more than some of the "standard" starters.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I think this is the perfect brush for me, and I absolutely love it. I own 6 brushes now from small to large in Supers and Silvertips, and for the money, this brush tops every brush I have, hands down. What do I like about it? Well...

Price - This brush costs $75 from Charles at QED. This brush simply blows 3 and 4 times more expensive brushes I have out of the water. Often Vulfix is recommended for a first brush. I say forget that (in more forceful language) and go with a Savile Row silvertip for just a few dollars more. There is just no comparison between my Vulfix and this brush.

Quality - This brush is the same quality of brushes that cost much, much more. I have not shed a single hair since owning and using it nearly everyday.

Size - I have decided I am not a fan of large brushes. Lathering is one of my favorite parts of the shaving routine. When I use a large knot size brush or a brush with a large bloom, lathering is just too simple and short and it takes almost no effort or scrubbing and soon my entire face is lathered up and ready to shave. If I use these larger brushes for extended lathering/scrubbing, lather just gets everywhere - in my hair, ears, nose, sink, etc... simply because of the size of the brush. The 3118 is perfectly sized for lathering and gentle scrubbing. Lather goes where you want it and not where you don't. I have a brush smaller than the 3118, and it is too small. This is not a "give me a Wee Scot" ego thing - really small is not better for me. This brush is much bigger than a Simpson Wee Scot.

Density - This brush is densely packed in a lightbulb shape. It is not nearly as dense as a Simpsons Chubby but much more dense than a Vulfix 2234. The hairs are taller in the center and shorter on the outside - it honestly looks just like a lightbulb. I find this shape and density to be perfect for lathering. Between the lightbulb shave and the flat-top method shaving-type brush, I prefer lightbulb.

Everything Else - This brush is decidely soft and luxurious at the tips due to it being a finest silvertip, but it has a great density that makes it scrubby as well. You can lather is a circular motion and get a nice scrubbing action but then move to painting the lather on and it is as soft and luxurious as can be. This brush handles soap, creams and shave sticks the best of any brush I have. The smaller size make is perfect for lathering up soaps in jars and bowls yet big enough to whip up creams in my lather mixing bowl (a Pyrex medium size mixing bowl). It is a lathering machine, generating and holding plenty of lather for 4 passes and beyond.

I do not have a single negative complaint about this brush. Since buying it almost a year ago, I find myself using it everyday unless I force myself to pick something different. I could use this brush for the rest of my shaving life and will be buying backups to ensure I always have it. The Savile Row 3118 will be the brush I give to my son when he starts shaving. Charles should be very proud of this brush line up he sells.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Il Bambino a great little brush and possibly the best brush dollar for dollar out there. At $75 you can't afford not to have this little Silvertip. Ron our resident Lathermeister has posted an amazing thread were he broke down this brush. Here's a link to his thread. I would also like to thank Ron for the pictures I'll post in this review, I borrowed them, Thank you Ron. Your knowledge and expertise is always appreciated. :thumbup:
View attachment 2998

Price - $75 for a quality Silvertip brush. I don't know of one cheaper. This is definately a 10 on the price scale.

Quality - 9.5 Like all the SR Silvertips I've had, this one of of very high quality, IMO though, this one is not quite up there with 3824, but still a great, well made brush. It's also remarkable sturdy for it's small size.

Density - This brush is very dense for its size, but compared to larger knots of similar quality it just can't compete. But this is by no means an invertebrate brush. When compared with a Vulfix 2233 with a 22mm knot, this brush is just as dense even though is 4mm smaller.
Here it is compared with SR 3128
View attachment 2997

Stiffness - I would actually give the stiffness an 8.5, but there is no mark for that. This is a scrubby little brush. For those whose of you who enjoy feeling your shave, this is a good choice. It will provide a wonderful scrubby feeling without an harshness on the skin.

Softness - I've found something unique about ths brush when you shift over to a painting stroke, this brush becomes very soft. But the stiffness beats out the softness, IMO.

Ergonomics - With this little handle, this brush is as ergonomic as any I've used. With it's small size can be held by the base of bristles of at the very end of the brush. Also this brush is small enough that anyone can precisely whip this brush anywhere on your face and get it everywhere you want and only exactly where you want.

Latherabilty - This little brush lather's like a Champ! Definately where the illustrious names comes from. I would never expect a brush that looks like this to lather the way it does. You can very easily generate enough lather for 4 passes and then some and you can use a smaller amount of cream because you also don't need much water with this brush.
View attachment 2999

This really is a great brush and a wonderful addition to anyone's arsenal. It's also a great starter brush for those who wish to upgrade to a quality brush, but don't have as much to spend. Take Il Bambino out for a run at the ballpark, you know you wanna!

If you would like to discuss this brush, Here's a Link to the Discussion Thread.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)