What's new

Savile Row 3824

When Charles of QED is involved, it's hard to be disappointed; the 3824 is no exception.

For a modest price, you get a rather small but still very capable brush that works as well with soaps as it does with creams. Terrific all-arounder.

The 3824 may not be the densest brush in the world, but it's dense enough to load any shaving medium with ease and not be a burden to the user.

As far as the stiffness/softness is concerned, the hairs have ample backbone for it to not be relegated to "creams only", but soft enough to feel wonderful on the face.

For someone with large hands like myself, even though the brush is fairly small, it fits my hand fine and latherability is second to none.

Definitely recommended at the price point.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
In my second year of use I really believe that the SR 3824 is all the brush I will ever need.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
I went through a period of buying very dense brushes with small to medium sized knots, thinking that they were better suited for my use of soaps for lathering these days. These brushes were nice and I was getting good shaves from them, but I wanted to try something different. Remembering that the SR3824 won the first brush wars and having read all of the comments about it, I decided to select it. For one thing, it was a craft alternative to the Rooneys and Simpsons, but it was also counter to what I thought a shaver like me should use.

I have been extremely pleased with this brush. I am glad to have purchased it now, after Charles had shortened the loft on the knot, because the brush is a marvel. The knot has a nice density, but is not so dense that there is no flow through the hair. When you bounce your hand on top of the knot, the hairs have a very nice springiness, and combined with the silky soft tips makes for a luxurious shave. Face lathering with this brush is a dream. Given the density and springiness of the knot, it is not remotely floppy, so it performs like a brush with a smaller knot. The brush handles soaps and creams equally well, and was the first brush to make Cade soap work in my hands. It feels very good in hand, and is a pleasure to use. At the price QED charges, you get tremendous value for your money.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I received my brush from Charles at QED about two weeks ago. Charles went out of his way to ship the brush to me in Australia and although not included in the review, Charles and QED customer service is a 10/10.

The brush itself is brilliant. its dense, ridiculously soft ('cloud soft' as often referred), and produces insane amounts of lather either with soap or cream.

Prior to getting the SR3824, I had been using a Rooney 2/1. On initial inspection between both, the Rooney appears denser, however after using it, I think both are equal. The SR3824 is deceptively dense, and think the Rooney appears denser because of its shape, the Rooney is fan shaped, while the SR3824 is bulb shaped.

The handle is well designed, fits my big mits, and is comfortable loading and then producing lather in a bowl.

The SR3824 is superb, and beats the Rooney. Its a great quality brush, and for the price can't be beat.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Acquired mine from QED about 2-3 weeks ago and have used it almost daily. Previous brush a Vulfix 2234. No comparison. The Vulfix is quite floppy and while I really didnt know anything better I enjoyed it. Since obtaining the Savile Row 3824 I have to say that it is outstanding comparatively. Of course it was twice the price, but if you are going to have one brush this is the one. Good with soap and cream, stiff enough yet soft on the face. Won't flop. Great brush and highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
You get them at QEDUSA.

Short and sweet: My favorite brush because its just a great all arounder. There is no weakness to this brush at all!!!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I love Shavemac brushes and Savile Row brushes look sweet too. Where online can purchase a Savile row brush? Someone said they got one from QED, i dont know what that stands for? Please help!
Although not the best looking one in the crowd BEST performer
I am very pleased with this brush, and provides a great lather. I enjoy this brush much more than my Rooney or Muhle. I would recommend this brush, which I think is a great value!
Price- For $115 from QED you may not find a better value.
Quality- Well built, solid, has a nice amount of weight to it.
Density- Very dense
Stiffness- Holds up really well when lathering the face. Not floppy at all.
Softness- As soft or softer than anything out there.
Ergonomic- Fit perfectly in my hand, which may be a problem for big handed follows
Latherability- Awesome, more peaks than the Himalayans. And it isnt a hog either.

Charles is the best, he knows his stuff, and his products are top quality. His balms are natural and he spares no expense on the ingredients. Get this brush
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I just received this brush on Monday and used it last night for the 1st time and
WOW...this is an incredible brush, hand down my favorite of the three brushes I own. The handle shape fits my hand better than my 3124 and it's a lather machine.

I used MWF soap (for only the third time) and it made plenty of lather. The feel of the brush splayed on your face as your lathering, feels like it's an octopus sucking and lifting the beard away from the face.

I can see why this brush won the brush wars and why the last shipment Charles received evaporated before it landed. I'm still in the learning phase, but I can tell this is a quality brush.:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Let me start off by saying I have no where near the experience with brushes that Joel does. He has literally tested DOZENS of brushes. I say this to convey a respect for his experience. Charles at QED(and Joel as well) pounded it into me a long time ago that much of what we perceive as high end in shave brushes has more to do with lore and what a glowing reviewer said than with reality. Believe me or Joel or whoever on this one; it is right there at the top. Joel's review was better worded than I can do. Notice that a few of my ratings were higher than his. This is simply because this is the best brush I have used so far. That my friends is not damning with faint praise. This is one SUPERB brush. I have used it with cream, triple milled soaps, glycerin soaps, you name it. It handled all with ease. That old fox Charles has really nailed it with the Savile Row silvertips.

Regards, Todd
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

This is really an outstanding product.... now - by outstanding, I don't mean "good" and it's not just "outstanding" because it is reasonably priced... it's outstanding because it just plumb works and feels better than nearly any/every other shaving brush at ANY price... and hell - it's good looking and comfortable to boot!

So what makes this brush so special? Well - before we go there - i'd like to first address a rumor that Savile Row shaving brushes are made by Shavemac... well are they? Probably - but, and the BIG but, is this is NO shavemac, and I mean that in a good way. Now not that a shavemac is a bad brush, they're quite nice actually - but the shape, style, density, shape of hair, quality of hair, etc - are all vastly superior to Shavemacs. Just comparing and using this brush war brush side by side with the Shavemac brush war brush (of the same knot) really goes to show, this is a VASTLY superior product. So - before I delve into what makes this brush so special - let me say clear as day - who cares who makes this brush.... Charles from QED designs 'em, stands behind them, and inspects them... and for all of us who know Charles - we know he is very, VERY, VERY picky.

So - again, what makes this brush so special? Well - it works equally magnificent with shaving soaps as it does creams, which is quite rare for a shaving brush. Not only does it work superb with glycerin based soaps, but it kicks butt with tallow soaps, triple milled soaps, milk/clay soaps, etc. This sucker is just an all around performer.

Bristle - the bristle on this brush is quite dense, as much so as a Simpson PJ3... maybe even a touch denser - but the bristle is quite soft at the tip. This brush really has a VERY silky soft, delicate, magnificantly luxurious feeling. The brush will "splay" when pushed against your face, however retains it shape, and will immediatly spring back, so it can generate quite a "sucking" effect.

Handle - While the handle is plane jane white, and the Savile Row logo is a touch plain, the shape of the handle is outstanding and it is about the most comfortable brush money can/will buy.

Quality - Simply first rate. Feels great, loses 0 hair, and is something to really be proud to own.

Overall - If I had to recommend ONE brush from the brush wars - after one year of rigorous use, get this - it would be this moderatly priced Savile Row 3824. Considering this brush has gone against quite a few radically more expensive brushes - from VERY prestigeous firms, I must say this is incredibly impressive. Overall just an outstanding shaving brush, a superb value, and a gem to own. Of all the brush wars brushes - this is the one I reach for most.

To discuss this review please see THIS thread!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)