What's new

Sandalwood Smoke Shave Cream 4oz.

Pros: nice jar
Cons: everything else
This is my first experience with The Holy Black and their shave cream. I ordered the 4oz Sandalwood smoke. The amber jar it's packaged in is nice, it seals well but that's where my positive experience ends. I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed with this product almost all the way around. The label on the jar I received was not as pictured on their site. It was pieced together from 2 different labels stuck together, they didn't even match, and they aren't anywhere near water resistant so they will disintegrate after a few uses of the jar. My 8 year old could have put together something a little more professional looking. On to the cream. It was way over scented. I used it almost 2 hours ago and it was still extremely strong, which would be OK but the scent dried down to something awful. My wife described it as rotten mayonnaise. I've tried to wash it off but it is extremely stubborn, I had to use witch hazel and then Osage Rub to make it go away. The lather it produced was mediocre, and it dried out in the time it took to drop a new blade in my Gillette Super Speed. I rinsed it off and reapplied the lather to begin the shave. The shave was on par with an ancient puck of Williams soap (bad). It took twice the product to produce a useable lather and offered less than half the protection as any cream from the big three (Taylor, Trumper, Truefitt).

I placed an order for a custom scented cream from Al's on the same day as I ordered from these guys. The CUSTOM cream from Al's was shipped Priority Mail the next day and was on my doorstep in 2 days. The box from THB was also shipped Priority Mail but was shipped 6 days after I ordered and took a total of 8 business days to get to me.

Overall, I'd say this cream was a complete waste of a shave and my money. I copied this review to their site but I'm not expecting it to show up. Of course, I could have gotten a bad batch, they could have been having a bad week, or I could just be a little too picky, but I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone. YMMV too!
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)