What's new

Salter Indian Sandalwood

taffy;1409620 said:
Great smell and another great cream from this company, all their creams are good and well worth having in your stock, the lather is pure luxury amd a pleasure to brush on your face giving great results time after time, one company i return to often.

I have shaved solidly for 1 week with this product and I can say, in all honesty that I am extremely happy with this purchase. Cyril Salter does not get much air time and as a rule of thumb, tends to play second fiddle to the 3 T's and DRH, however this may not be the case.
The tub is generous both in the amount offerred and in the size, plenty of room to get your brush in there without it spilling over the sides. The scent is deep and masculine. I now own 3 sandalwoods; Trumpers, C&E and Salters. It's a tough call between C&E and Salters.
Really nothing to add that hasn't been said already other than the fact that salter products are a good buy and should not be overlooked in favour of the other heavyweights from London.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I really like this cream. It's pretty much my go to cream so far. I like it as much as Harris cream and better than EJ cream. The scent is wonderful when I'm shaving. I'm a big fan of sandalwood and this scent is the real deal. Very effective, I get a good close comfortable shave every time I use it. I will be replacing it when the tub runs dry. If I make my lather a little wet I swirl my brush in a tub of TOBS sandalwood soap to thicken it up. The 2 seem to work well together.:thumbup1:
From the moment I opened the box it was shipped in (from Phil @ Bullgoose, Thanks!) I knew this was something special. It has a thick, rich smell that really got my attention, as well as a few compliments from people visiting my office. The plastic bowl is a nice shade of dark/royal blue with a very classic white script. I like.

On to the shave. Compared with soaps and even the creams (CF lavendar, Aqua Di Parma) I've been using this stuff is softer. Doesn't take much pressure or too many swirls to get a nice amount on the brush directly from the bowl. Face lathering was a breeze with lather quickly exploding out of brush along with delicious, spicy, cinnamon scent. I did 3 passes but there was gobs of cream left when I cleaned brush -- maybe I'll use a tad less cream next time.

The lather was easy to make on face and made for a nice, slippery shave. I can't speak to moisturizing as my face is oily and I usually have a hard time assesing moisture of product.

All in all, I am so glad I listened to Phil @ Bullgoose and tried something I normally wouldn't have. It's a great cream. Go get some.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Great smell and another great cream from this company, all their creams are good and well worth having in your stock, the lather is pure luxury amd a pleasure to brush on your face giving great results time after time, one company i return to often.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Salter creams have been my "dirty little secret" for quite some time. Although I have a large collection of "premium" creams such as Castle Forbes, the Three T's, The Gentlemens Refinery, and Tabula Rasa, etc., I seem to reach for a Salter cream 70% of the time. There is an honesty and straightforwardness...a lack of BS as it were, to these creams. Dense, rich, wonderfully scented, and very cost-effective. The Sandalwood is the only one I don't own and I am now tempted to round off the collection after reading your review.
Salter seems to be the red-haired stepchild of the British cream realm. No respect. I think taken as a whole, their line of shave creams are uniquely scented, "reasonably" priced, and shave great. They shouldn't take a back seat to anyone. Anyway, on to the Sandalwood.

Price
Less than $20 for a big honkin' tub (6.7 oz). Not cheap, but certainly not exorbitant.

Quality
Second to none. I can say of all the many tubs of creams I go through, the Salter is the most consistent in texture, scent, and shave. They are very solid products overall.

Scent
The Indian Sandalwood is a sweet and deeply spicy accord. I get a lot of cinnamon-type notes. It reminds me a bit of Vulfix Sandalwood, but more intense and more natural. It is not the dry woody sandalwood of a Trumpers or Taylors. I think it is a wonderful scent, and it really permeates the room as you use it. Intoxicating. Is it true sandalwood? Nope. But nothing really is among creams nowadays.

Latherability
Salter has a much different consistency in the tub compared to the three-T's. It is more highly whipped, but still dense. It explodes into lather with ease. I would grade it a tad less dense and lubricating than some other creams, but it is a subtle difference. Use it with confidence.

Efficacy
Shaves great. Not much else to say.

Moisturizing
I would put it below something like a Taylor Avocado or Trumper coconut. You'll need some sort of aftershave.

Packaging
The usual PVC tub, with some understated lettering on a white background. Nothing to get too excited about, but nothing to complain about either.

All in all, this is a cream worthy of having, assuming you like highly-fragranced products.
Top Bottom