What's new

Saint Charles Shave - Tony's Choice Aftershave

This was not the first aftershave I've got from SCS, and wont be the last, but I just cant get into the scent. It seems like a quality product just like any other products from SCS. No it's not the most cooling( I honestly could care less in the winter. The ambiant air is cooling enough where I live) and doesnt destroy razor burn if I rough up my face, but does moisturize very well. I bike commute even in the winter and if an as doesn't moiturize well my face chaps up bad. I just don't like smelling an after dinner mint.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Okay, I agree with pretty much all that has been said here. Although, I found it to not be greasy, but it did take quite a while to rub in. I just got done using this stuff, and I still have a little razor burn, but it's nothing compared to using no aftershave. As a newbie to shaving, I can only compare this to alcohol splashes and using no AS at all. The scent lasts literally all day for me. I can even still smell it on my hands after some days. When you put it on, of course, it's a little stronger, but the subtle scent lingers all day. I can't describe the scent, but coupled with the scent of my coconut shave soap it smells rich and sweet. So, mint chocolate is a little too rich and not sweet enough to describe the scent, if that makes sense. Either way, this AS has some razor burn protection, although not enough for moderate-severe razor burn, it has an amazing scent, it's really cheap, it moisturizes alot for me, it has a very light tinge of alcohol burn, and the only cooling sensation I get is the kind you get from evaporating water. Overall, amazing product for the price. :thumbup1: to you Sue.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I like it. There is something about the scent that I cannot place, but I find it to be a very comforting smell. I find that it absorbs quickly and does what I expect from it. For the price, it is a good value.

-Scott
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Good evening Gents...

I thought I would add another brief review.

Price : I Purchased a bottle of the sensitive skin version for a whopping $5.95 during the St. Charles white sale. The regular price = $6.95

Quality : A very fine product made by St. Charles Sue. I placed a very small amount of the product on my finger tips after my shave and applied it to my face after rinsing off what was left of my shave soap. By the time I was finished cleaning up the shave den, I found that the aftershave was just about dry and not tacky in any way. It took care of what minor irritation I may have experienced from my morning shave. I did not notice a heavy or greasy feeling on my skin & did not leave a shine at all.

Fights razor burn : I cannot comment on how this would treat an extreme case of razor burn but (again) it took care of what minor irritation I had.

Cooling sensation : None

Scent : When opening the bottle, my first reaction was "coffee". My second reaction after giving a second "whiff" was "something sweet". Upon application to my just shaved face, I noticed it is the same or very similar to the new Spice offering from Sue. I happen to enjoy the scent very much so this is no problem for me. I did not slather my mug heavily with this aftershave so by the time I was dressing for work, the scent was barely noticeable. It certainly did not clash with my EDT.

Moisturizing : When I noticed there was some oil in the mix for this product I will admit my apprehension. For me, this is an excellent choice for the winter months as I travel in my vehicle for work and my skin gets extremely dry on my face - to the point where is flaky in spots. With the weather being sub-zero for the past few days, I feel as though this has helped me considerably.

Alcohol burn : Zero but please note I used the sensitive version. I believe the "normal" version does contain some alcohol.

Gents - at $7 for a bottle this is really a bargain. While this product may not be for everyone, it is certainly better than any product you could pick up from a store. Kudos to St. Charles Sue!

s~s
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Have only used this ASB once, but what an aroma! Its actually better smelling and more long lasting than some of my colognes, so be careful if you're layering, and make sure you like it before you use it in public.:lol:

Mitch
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Hi guys,

I use the TC's-AS now about two months in rotation with the other AS.
But sometimes I use it as an EdT, cause I don't like the overpowered scents of some EdT's, so I use more after shaves...

The Tony' Choice AS has a very good cost-value ratio and an absolut great scent.

A big:thumbup1: :thumbup1: for it and for Sue, she did a great job:thumbup:

And then I must say, that I like the American stuff more than most of the European, except Proraso-AS and my lovely Swiss Pitralon...

Regards

Thomas
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I enjoy Tony's Choice A/S. If I've really irritated my face, it's not what I reach for, and it does have a bit of greasiness, but the scent is one of my favorites, and it feels nice.

-Nick
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

First off... let me say - kudos for Sue switching to a more suitable container for her aftershave balm. This is MUCH easier to use than the aluminum canisters she was using in the past, and it is also handy to see how much product you have left.

As you can see, I have used a decent portion of the bottle, and I have given this product a pretty good go. I had tried/reviewed Sue's products in the past, and did not like them - so I decided to give them one more go. Some of the products (reviews to be posted in the near future) were better than my initial experience, however this was not one of them.

I must earnestly say, I do not like it. It has a nice chocolate/mint scent to it... but after that - it really does not have much to be offered. It did not seem to reduce irritation, moisturize, soothe, etc. For me at least - it did not really seem to work... at all, and left my skin feeling greasy and oily, and then mid day, my skin would be quite dry. One way I test a/s balms/creams, is I try to use them as a hand lotion, to test their soothing/moisturizing properties, and this product did not hold up very well. My hands would quickly dry out, and the product would wear off quite quickly. I PERSONALLY find Nivea balm to be more efficacious than the Tony's. This product just didn't do it for me.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 1
Ability to Reduce Razor Burn/Irritaiton – 0
Scent– 2
Efficacy – 0
Moisturizing properties – 0

Total – 3 out of 10
Top Bottom