What's new

Saint Charles Shave Aged Leather Aftershave Milk

## The following review is based upon the aft-used quote of "Your mileage may vary!". This product may react differently on your skin. ##

I hold the dubious distinction of being the first person on Badger & Blade to order - and then return the combined kit of ASM and EDT based on her Aged Leather formula.

Price: Sue is very aggressive with her pricing and her collection packs of aftershave milks and EDT's are priced very well.

Quality: I love the glass triangle bottles that Sue uses with her products. They are heavy, solid and nothing to be ashamed about having out on the counter when company drops by. I am giving the packaging and even the lovely font used on the label along with Sue's time spent experimenting as the measure of quality in this review. If the product were not in question this would be a 10 out of 10. However, see below.

Scent: Flat out honest the scent was so horrible and rancid smelling on me that I had to wash the stuff off my face! Even after washing my face my lass pointed me back to the bathroom to wash my face a few more times before she would let me near! :cursing: I don't know what happened in light of the fact that her savory rose and lavender ASM's are magical and excellent but I would have rather shaved in an alternate dimension of warm stinky cheese than uncork either bottle again!!

Efficacy: The points are for Sue's time experimenting to find quality products and combinations for us. This is to balance out the otherwise 0/10 I would give based upon product alone.

Moisturizing: My face did not feel as moisturized as when I use her savory rose or lavender ASM. The application was dryer and the minute or so that I had it on did not give any sort of appreciable soft, moisturized face-feel. The product took about five washings to fully remove but the scent lingered around until I slapped on some Old Spice to try and mask the oder. :mad:

No Alcohol Burn: There was a bit of a burn with the ASM but nothing close to something that would indicate an allergic reaction on my part in comparison to other products that I react to. The burn was subtle though, like an application of Speick versus the hellfire of Pinaud Bay Rum or Old Spice.

To be honest, this product could be wonderful for some people. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I mailed this back to Sue and don't regret not putting it up for sale on the forum. To her credit, and my appreciation, Sue did provide excellent customer service in light of this problem and did issue me a prompt refund for my original purchase price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
My first aftershave milk ever purchased, back when I didn't know any better, was Dr. Harris. Was it new formula, old formula? I dunno. I just know I liked the light scent and the way it helped to moisturize my skin after.

Fast forward to when the ADs had really set in. I decided it was time to try some SCS stuff, but what? I couldn't get any EDT being up here in Canada. I had a copious supply of soaps and creams (see comment about ADs really setting in). So what? Why not some aftershave milk?

Aged leather sounded like a manly aroma, so I ordered a bottle.

The milk is very nice and thin, which is the way I like my aftershave milk. The aroma isn't quite aged leather. It's a bit leathery, but a light sweet scent layers over that one. So the scent isn't quite there for me.

But in terms of taking care of my skin, I give it top marks. Lovely moisturizing properties. Not greasy after (I find the Dr. Harris is a bit oily for a bit too long after applying it). And the scent is pleasant, not the cucumber like Harris but nice enough. Aged leather though? I dunno. Too sweet to my nose for that.

All in all, an excellent value purchase, and for skin care it's top notch.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)