What's new

Royall Lyme After Shave

The company says:

Derived from an authentic island formula favored by colonial Victorian gentlemen. This delightfully crisp all-day refresher combines the oils of the plumpest West Indian Royall limes with 77 rare essential oils to produce a zestfully unobtrusive yet undeniably lime scent. A timeless, cooling essential for after shower or shave.

It certainly is a unique product. I got the 8oz splash and the bottle is amazing, nice thick green glass with a lime in the glass in Bas-relief on the back. A cool parchment label on the front and a real pewter crown cap make this look like it's some 1900s vintage bottle.

The aftershave works pretty well to tone the skin and calm razor burn. It's not amazing, basically just alcohol water and smell. So works about as effectively as other aftershaves of that nature, clubman, etc.

It's lacking any moisturizing ingredients like aloe or glycerin so it really doesn't do any moisturizing. however, this seems like a scent you'd want to apply on a hot balmy summer day so you, most likely, do not want or need any added moisture. On the other hand, it doesn't have any cooling effect either. The stuff did numb my lips somewhat when I applied it so that was interesting, and it does burn like any other alcohol first aftershave.

The scent is...odd. When you splash it on it smells like you just smashed some limes and are now rubbing them on your face. In about 30 seconds it fades to a candied lime peel smell with an annoying turpentine note. I couldn't figure out what that off smell was at first but then my girlfriend said I smell like her paint thinner and when I compared them side by side, that note is definitely turpentine...
The scent lasts 15-20 minutes and that paint thinner scent is not my cup of tea, but the first 30 seconds are great!

Overall, if you can find it for $30 it's a good deal. You get a lot of liquid, it works well and the bottle is fantastic! If you are really into limes, this is the way to go, if not I might suggest going with another one of their scents as the turpentine smell is quite offputting.

Ingredients:
Organic alcohol, water, fragrance, citral, citronellol, coumarin, eugenol, geraniol, isoeugenol, limonene, linalool
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: I enjoy the scent, feels great on the face after a shave
Cons: Can be costly, scent is not long lasting
I decided to try out Royall Lyme, since I really like thier Bay Rhum. I actually purchased my bottle from a forum member ( thank you ). Bay Rhum is decidedly not a summer scent for me. The Lyme leaves my face feeling nice after a shave, it has a slight burn to it, but nowhere near the category of Osage Rub:scared:

I have to say I really like the fresh clean scent of Royall Lyme, I just wished it was a bit longer lasting, though in fairness, many lime type scents do not last very long.
The Royall brand name may seem more expensive than some other brands, but I like the classy glass bottle with its parchment label, and metal crown cap. I am even thinking of trying the Royall Vetiver now, hmmm.
To sum it up, this is a nice aftershave for the warmer months ( or any ).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I bought a bottle of Royall Lyme All Purpose Lotion at a local drug store after . The price is stiff but, after using it 4 times I'm convinced that the quality is at least competitive.

When I spray or pour the lotion into my hand, it seems like it's going to be oily. But when I rub it on my face, it's absorbed quickly, and it smooths my skin without being oily or sticky. The feeling is very pleasant, and I don't need more than a few drops to get this effect. It doesn't seem intended as a cooling product, but, since I'm not a menthol guy, I'm good with that.

Alcohol burn is mild enough to be refreshing. Much less burn than with, for example, Thayer's AS (the version with alcohol in the 4 oz bottle). The burn lasts maybe half a minute.

The fragrance is like lime zest--not chemical, medicinal or sweet. Some might wish the fragrance lasted longer, but I like not smelling like AS.

It's good to have a splash like this to alternate with a balm (T&H Ultimate Comfort is great) and WH (I use Thayers toner w/aloe).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
There is some confusion about this product. On Amazon they sometimes list it as a cologne. It is not a cologne. It is an aftershave and on the bottle it's labeled as an "After shave and all purpose body lotion".

I wouldn't use it as a body lotion because the oils in the aftershave will stain your clothes. It stained my white undershirt yellow.

It fights razor burn pretty well. It smells great and lasts as long as my other aftershaves. It cools the skin, making it perfect for warm weather.

It is a splash and it has alcohol so yes it will burn for a few minutes so I will not downgrade.

Again the scent is amazing. It smells clean, crisp and will appeal to most.

The only downside is the price, which is around $32.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)