What's new

Royall Bay Rhum

I really adore this AS. Sweet but not too much. Warm, but not hot. Ideal for rainy days like today. I find the mix of clove, bayrum and pepper almost perfect but I didn't find any menthol in it. Maybe because I'm used to Spanish Floïd.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I used my bottle of Bay Rum as an AfterShave also. I finished the bottle this morning, that's why I am reviewing it.

The clovey aroma is the main scent coming out of the bottle. The product works well. It burns a lot, with a few drops of cold water, it's bearable.

I gave a good grade to staying power as SWMBO is able to smell the cloves at the end of the day (I can't).

I found the Royall products to be a bit expensive (well, down under they are). I know, I can get cheaper AS or a much more expensive AS. For me, this is an expensive AS but good quality.

Would I buy it again? No, I do not like cloves that much, that's my only down side. It's a good product and I recommend it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
The Royall Bay Rhum all-purpose lotion ... I use it as an aftershave, and my review below is based on that premise, although it's strong enough and long lasting enough for it to potentially be a cologne as well.

Price: if you get the 8oz bottle online you can find some pretty decent deals. This stuff isn't "cheap like Velva" nor is it "pricey like Floris" ... sort of in the middle.

Quality: Good stuff. Not great, but good. It isn't in the top of the heap like Musgo Real or Speick, but certainly worthy of being used, especially by anyone who fancies himself a real bay r(h)um sort of chap. While there is a good dose of that "bay rum burn" associated with bay rums generally, it is less than the Pinaud variety.

Packaging: Top Notch. A superb glass bottle with a pewter screwcap (with plastic liner). The lable is quality, and there's an embossed bay r(h)um in the glass on the back. The packaging that you throw out is great too, if that matters, right down to a red wax seal.

Scent: a good interpretation of bay rum. In comparing it to the Pinaud variety, I find it to have more clove, decidedly so.

Complexity: Not much ... the clove sort of takes over. That may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your opinion of clove.

Staying Power: I find this stuff lasts well. You will probably want to skip the cologne, or wear a complimentary cologne of some sort.

Quality of atomiser: n/a. The 8oz bottle I have is a "pour" bottle, so no atomiser to judge.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
This stuff smells great! I thought it was discontinued. Really glad to see I can still get it online! Highly recommended!
Along with Pinaud Bay Rum, the Royall is also one of my favorites. Compared to Pinaud BR, the Royall seems less "sweet" and a bit more medicinal. It has a clean, strong scent when first applied and dries down to a subtle scent fairly quickly. For me it lasts for a few hours but I will still get whiffs of it later in the day.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but you can find good deals online. I bought the four oz. size but in hindsight should have bought the larger bottle because lately it has been a go-to a/s for me. You will get a bit of burn with this but it's tolerable and subsides quickly.

As an aside, the packaging is top notch. You get a really classy bottle with a metal crown top and the outer wrapping has a lot of the old style marketing snazz printed on the inside..Fun to read!!

I think this will always be in my rotation....Big thumbs up..

cheers,

Marty E.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
I recently picked up the small size of Royall Bay Rhum at Cambridge Chemists in NYC. The small bottle doesn't have an atomizer, I think the large size does. Its a very nice bay rum scent, with a crisp menthol finish which gives it a nice cooling effect. The old-fashioned label also includes the use as a "head wash," but I'm hard pressed to find the purpose apart from giving your hair a nice scent? I use it as an aftershave primarily, and it doesn't have too much burn. It goes very well with my Trumper's Coconut Cream.
Definitely recommended if you like Bay Rum scents, and the nice glass bottle will look very stately on your bathroom counter.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)