What's new

Rooney synthetic shaving brush

Item Description

Rooney is a big name in badger brushes, but they also make a synthetic brush. It looks nice enough, with a pleasant handle. However there are problems with this brush, possibly stemming from Rooney thinking that what is good when making a badger brush is good when making a synthetic brush.

displayimage.php

The biggest problem with the Rooney is that it is very densely packed. While that might be a desirable attribute in a badger brush, it's not what you want in a brush with relatively stiff synthetic hairs. The Rooney has hairs that are near identical to the Men-U brush, but packed a lot denser and with a lower loft height.

This is for me the problem with the Rooney. While the Men-U works well and feels soft, the Rooney feels too compact, and stiff. It creates lather okay, but not quite as well as the Men-U, and when you've made your lather the densness means it won't part easily when applying lather to your face either. Strangely enough the tips feel ever so slightly softer than the Men-U, which I hadn't expected.

Still, not the best of synthetic brushes, and is outperformed by it's brother the Men-U Premier.

To discuss this review, click here.

Latest reviews

I have compared this brush to 13 others at <http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1991663#post1991663>
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Rooney is a big name in badger brushes, but they also make a synthetic brush. It looks nice enough, with a pleasant handle. However there are problems with this brush, possibly stemming from Rooney thinking that what is good when making a badger brush is good when making a synthetic brush.

displayimage.php

The biggest problem with the Rooney is that it is very densely packed. While that might be a desirable attribute in a badger brush, it's not what you want in a brush with relatively stiff synthetic hairs. The Rooney has hairs that are near identical to the Men-U brush, but packed a lot denser and with a lower loft height.

This is for me the problem with the Rooney. While the Men-U works well and feels soft, the Rooney feels too compact, and stiff. It creates lather okay, but not quite as well as the Men-U, and when you've made your lather the densness means it won't part easily when applying lather to your face either. Strangely enough the tips feel ever so slightly softer than the Men-U, which I hadn't expected.

Still, not the best of synthetic brushes, and is outperformed by it's brother the Men-U Premier.

To discuss this review, click here.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips