What's new

Rooney Style 1 Size 2 Super Silvertip

I have compared this brush to 13 others at <http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1991663#post1991663>
Price
0.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
A bit expensive, but the densest brush I have ever seen. A firm backbone, superb for soaps, and several attractive handles to choose from. The handle is actually some what heavy making the brush feel substantial. Highly recommended. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
awesome brush , just received mine a few days ago and wow... very very nice.

handle felt great , hairs were dense but soft enough on the skin and great latherability .

real nice .

price was okay , but i guess you have to pay for quality so maybe my 7 was a little harsh .
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I just added this brush in "Finest" this week to my already great collection, a Chubby 3 "Super" and a Dachs Horn "Silvertip". It fits right between the two in terms of size, but can hold its own with the Chubby 3 for lather and knot density. Extremely comfortable, weather swirling or painting the lather on, and easy to hold and control over your face. I would call this a classic and high quality brush. Whether it's worth close to $300 is going to depend on what you consider value. For me the British made quality of this brush is worth every penny.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I have a style 3 size 1 in super silvertip, and it's such a nice little brush that I could easily have continued using it without ever needing another new brush. But as SBAD sunk its talons into me, I started wondering what a slightly larger Rooney would be like. I found myself casting flirtatious glances at the classic shape of the style 1's handle. I quickly broke down and ordered the Style 1 size 2 with ebony handle. I really like the slick look, but this color requires it to be wiped down well after each use to prevent unsightly soap scum build-up. This only adds about 10 seconds to my morning routine though.

displayimage.php

I'm really comfortable with a brush about this size, and I find that the handle, with it's sculptured lower end, fits my grip as well as my Tulip 3. Equally good at mixing up lather in a bowl or face lathering. I have average-sized hands but I think people with ham hands or small mitts will still find this a very useable brush.

displayimage.php

The knot diameter and loft is about the same height as my Tulip 3 as well, and while the Tulip is a firmer brush with little bloom, this Rooney is more about luxury and comfort. It is firm enough to face-lather a stiffer cream like Musgo but the tips are so soft that you just want to continue working it over your face for a while.

The brush does a bang-up job generating lather. It doesn't matter what cream I use, I have plenty for my usual 3 passes plus touch-ups and even still there's enough lather to do another pass or two.

The knot is not as dense as a Simpson but it is by no means a floppy brush. This may be because Jim at Vintage Blades has been ordering his Rooneys with slightly shorter lofts than the stock brushes. Either way, I find this brush to be a great addition to my morning shave routine.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)