What's new

Rooney "Special" 3/1 Super Silvertip

Item Description

So the brush finally arrived yesterday after great anticipation. I ordered it from Vintagebladesllc which was a great experience in itself. Definitely going to shop from there in the future. They have great prices. Especially on this Rooney.

Rooney "Special" 3/1 Super Silvertip in Imitation Tortoise Shell
Overall Brush Height: 97mm
Handle Height: 50mm
Brush Loft: 47mm
Knot Diameter: 22mm

Price: For 75 dollars, I believe this is a very competitively priced silvertip. The only brush I've really used before was a C&E BBB. It's a great brush, but for 75 bucks, this Rooney is so much more spectacular. It was definitely money well spent.

This is an extremely well crafted brush. The quality of the imitation tortoise shell is simply beautiful and the handle has very classy and elegant lines. It's very pleasing to the eyes. Even though this is my first silvertip, as soon as it touched my cheeks, covered in lather, I knew this was a darn good brush!

This brush is so dense, if it were a guy, he'd be an idiot! Compared to my C&E BBB, this is really thick and dense. I've been told by several that there are many brushes with denser knots, but for 75 dollars, I couldn't ask for more.

The brush is so soft. The knot is nice and dense, giving it great stiffness for soaps and not floppy at all. But the tips, WOW. I couldn't describe how it felt at first. I told SWMBO that it felt like doves flew past my face with their wings covered in lather. She said that didn't sound all too great. So now it's angels! Angel wings!

The brush feels great in the hand. I love the 22mm knot size. I've never tried the big brushes, so I can't honestly compare. But I think the medium knots are perfect. And it sounds like many others agree. The handle is very comfortable. It has a nice weight, a little heavier than the BBB, which I think is great! Can't fault it as far as ergonomics are concerned.

This thing lathers amazingly! The lather is nice and cushiony. And after 3 passes, I still had plenty of lather left. I look forward to the next shave with this brush. So far I've only used it with DR Harris Cream, but I'll try it with the Tabac next. I'm more of a soap guy so I'm looking really forward to that!

Okay, enough of the chit chat. After all, I know what you guys want are the pics!

Here it is compared to the BBB pre-bloom
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice and dense
proxy.php

A little soak
View attachment 52877

A bit of D.R. Harris on the tips
View attachment 52878

After a bit of bowl lathering
View attachment 52879

After 3 passes :wink:
View attachment 52880

Post-bloom
View attachment 52881
proxy.php

Latest reviews

Pros: Soft, barely scritchy, excellent lather maker
Cons: Core sometimes drops water when pressed againt the face
I purchased the Rooney 3/2 in best badger two years ago and it has been my daily brush since then. Well, until I bought a shavemac off Ebay recently anyway.I love the Rooney. Scritchy enough that the skin is worked a little, but not anywhere near irritating.Makes a great lather, especially with creams. I use Truefitt & Hill, Castle Forbes and Queen Charlotte creams and a Truefitt & Hill soap.I do need to be careful about shaking out most of the extra water before lathering. I can always (and I usually do) add another dollop of water when starting the lather. If I forget to shake out the excess water, and I sometimes do, when I start lathering the face, the pressure pushes water from the heart of the brush out and it runs down my chest.It shed a few hairs during the first few months of use and since then rarely loses one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I got one of these off the BST.

And, at that price point ($75 new, I paid $65 used), this is the densest and most luxurious brush I've had.

It lathers extremely well, holds a great deal of water, feels fantastic on the face.

Super Dense...I have a Kent 2009 B&B LE and it is far less dense, though both are super soft and great with both soaps and creams, the difference is visible and tangible.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I've been using a Rooney 3/1 Super for almost a year. 99% of the time I use it to bowl lather creams. Like this brush so much I PIF'd the Omega I started with and sold an 830 I used less than 10 times. I consider the 3/1 my best DE related purchase.

Item information

Added by
just1nsturm
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
0.31 star(s) 13 ratings

More in Shaving Brushes (Reviews)

Top Bottom