What's new

Rooney DE Razor

I have had my Rooney DE for about 3 months and it is now my favorite. Its a little like the EJ Chatsworth except slightly heavier (I think they put a small metal rod in the handle to add the weight). The extra weight is just right. I highly recommend this razor.
I was delighted to find this thread. I thought I was the only person on earth to own one of these razors.

I just got mine a few days ago. My thoughts are similar but with a different perspective.

My head, just as yours, has several tiny "pits" and both ends have about a 1.5mm brass spot as if that is where it was held during plating. In fact, I am pretty sure that is exactly what it is since you have the same issue in the exact same spot. I would describe the finish as very mirror like other than these tiny flaws.

Here, however, is my positive perspective on this finish. It is the REASON I bought the razor. I loved the asthetics. It is a beautiful and "antique looking" razor that could be 100 years old, but with fabulous, modern weight, balance and design. Probably no one but me would EVER even notice these tiny "flaws" (and I do believe they are flaws that could be corrected by the manufacturer) But to me they make it the perfect blend of the look of the past and the function of modern technology. I personally find it adds character to the razor. The handle is "hand lathed" and perfect. Smooth, and perfectly balanced.

I STRONGLY agree that it is NOT a Merkur HD. I also agree that I actually like it better. It does have a slightly wider "blade to bar" spacing, and it just seems to feel perfect for me. I would consider my beard to be not to thick, but very tough. My skin is normal sensitivity. While I bought this razor more based on look and feel and weight, I was very pleasantly surprised with the shave and would highly recommend it for both beauty and functionality.

If you are in to perfect finish, buy something else. If you are more antique oriented or "artsy" you are likely to really enjoy this product. ANYONE should find it to be a great razor in terms of pure utility.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I just received this razor. Very nice craftsmanship. Decent quality. The head definitely looks and feels like a Merkur razor.

This razor has a very balanced weight with a very comfortable grip and provides a great smooth shave.

Its a mild (medium) razor and is not aggressive on the face at all.

If you looking for a quality razor I highly recommend the Rooney razor, along with their silver tip brushes.

By the way...I just dumped the Gillette MachIII and have not looked back!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I got this razor about 3 months ago, and after using it in rotation for that long I believe I can now make a proper review of it. At first glance, it is a nice-looking razor that is very price-competitive with some of the other high end razors out there. One thing I like is the metal pommel at the end of the handle, which I don't see on competitors such as Edwin Jagger razors.

Upon closer inspection, you start to notice that all is not quite as perfect as it seemed. In this case, the handle far outclasses the head. The handle is made in the UK and is excellent, while the head is made in India, which I have no problem with either. My issue is with the additional plating and finishing steps that were done to this head when it reached the UK. I went into greater detail in this thread. It may have been preferable to leave the original Indian plating alone.

OK, but how does it shave? Very nicely indeed. The razor is balanced well and is comfortable to grip. The smooth faux ivory handle may be slippery to those who shave with wet, soapy hands, but I've had no trouble with it. The head looks a lot like a Merkur head, and it shaves a lot like one. It's right in the middle between mild and aggressive, occupying a niche that my HD or 38C reside in.

It gives a very nice shave, and is classy looking to boot. It looks great on my bathroom shelf, as long as you don't look closely enough to see the two spots of plating that my thumbnail was able to scrape off. I believe that if Rooney straightens out the problems with the heads (if nothing else, just leave them the heck alone after they arrive from India), they will have a real winner.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)