What's new

Roger and Gallet Jean Marie Farina Eau de Cologne

Always a fan of Muelhens 4711 cologne in the warmer weather, I recently sprang for a bottle of the Roger and Gallet Jean Marie Farina Eau de Cologne. These two colognes have a common ancestry. It came in a very nice 200th anniversary (actually 2006) refillable atomizer bottle reminiscent of a Penhaligon's bottle.

The cologne is quite different from 4711, more in the league of Acqu di Parma. It opens with a "citric blast" again similar to a Penhaligon's product -- Blenheim Bouquet. The citric is not nearly as powerful or long lasting as BB but has the same grapefruit sharpness. This wears off after about 1/2 hr. followed by a heavier bergamot-rosemary scent with some residual citric elements. The scent then levels off with the heavier notes lasting 3-4 hours after which they are barely detectable. Time for another spray.

I recommend this for summer use, especially good on hot, sticky days when a heavy or very floral scent might be too much. While 4711 is very short lived and nice to use after a shower, the Farina has a bit more staying power and a real dry down making it more suitable for an evening out.

attachment.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Classic cologne - citrus, zesty with a hint of herbs. I don't like this bottle its female/metrosexual bottle it should be much menly at least this is a grendfather of all colognes. I prefere 4711 scent is very similar - more clean and light - but the bottle is great - ''classic classy'' old stylish
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
1.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Just got a bottle today from eBay. Nice soapy, woodsy, citrus scent. Neroli is pronounced with other citrus. Lasts about an hour tops. Smells like Williams Shaving Soap in cologne form!
Top Bottom