What's new

Robert Williams Elite French Tip Custom

Pros: Nice size, mirror finish
Cons: Not properly honed, uneven bevel.
I didn't rate the lasting edge, smoothness and ease of maintenance so disregard. I was very happy with every aspect of this razor but the edge itself. The bevel was uneven and it was simply not sharp. It felt remarkably smooth, but on the 2nd pass (I get BBS with my Wade and Butcher with 2 passes), I was not happy with the results. Thankfully, I hone my own razors, and I think after I sharpen the Robert Williams, it will be and astounding shaver. This is my first 7/8 razor, and I love the heft. Some say that large blades are hard to navigate on the face, but this was not true for me...there was no change in technique from my smaller razors. I would recommend Mr. Williams razors, but you may have to sharpen it, if you have the same luck that I did. I just honed it, and will retry tonight...will post results. Happy shaves.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
0.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
0.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
0.00 star(s)
I am also an owner of one of Robert Williams' recent creations. I bought mine through Shaving Shop as an already made custom. No wait time. I have had and used mine for about a month and am comparing it to the other custom razors I have owned and used (which is 5 customs), as well am I comparing it to the 100+ other straight razors I have owned and used over the past 2 years.

Mine razor is a high carbon steel (HCS) version and is sized at 7/8. The cutting edge is comparably on the short side which is one of the reasons I bought it. Many custom razor makers seem to increase the edge length when they increase the size of the blade. I personally don't prefer this and like how the cutting edge is an appropriate length.

The razor has top and bottom jimps on a slightly thin tang. I normally prefer a thick tang but with the double sided jimps the feel and handling of the razor in use is not a concern and makes for a very comfortable and sturdy feel.

Mine has a Barber's notch. I think it is basically esthetics and contributes to the look of the razor considerably.

Scales are made from maroon micarta. This is my first experience with micarta scales. I have been learly about getting a razor with micarta scales but I am not disappointed in the least, with these scales. They are much nicer than I thought they would be and for the price I got this razor I cannot complain. The scales are fitted perfectly and the blade closes dead center.

The edge wasn't perfect when I got it but was easily remedied on my hones. I have often heard how hard his steel is and how this makes for a harder to hone razor. Not for me. I found the rehoning was as smooth as could be, and progressed without any trouble. The edge it took was better than I have had in a long time. I really like the feel of this steel. It is not like my W&B Fine India Steel, but comes close.

Overall I am very impressed. I have owned a Joe Chandler, a Buddel, an Ellis Hybrid, a Hart Steel, and now a Robert Williams and have to say that it is presently tied for first place with my Ellis Hybrid. Although the Ellis is stainless, the two razors are wonderful shavers.

I recommend Robert's razors and especially the HCS ones. The availability may be slow for a personalized custom, but it is surely worth the wait. And if you are lucky enough to be able to snag one you like from Shaving Shop, lucky you. As the wait time is much less.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
When I first contacted Robert about making a custom razor, it was after seeing the giraffe bone razor that Joel reviewed. I knew instantly that I wanted one, but I wasn't sure about what I would like to see as a final result. Then, after the long waiting period, I got a call from Robert asking me if I was ready for him to start. Luckily, I had significantly more experience from which to draw, and I told him that I wanted him my preferences (giraffe bone scales in greens and blues, monkey tail, spine work, jimps, and either a spanish or french point - basically I told him to incorporate these features in whatever way he thought would be best in terms of function and aesthetics)

Before I get into the review proper, let me just say that I couldn't be happier with my interaction with Robert, the quality of the end result, or with the value represented here. Additionally, I am not a big fan of hyperbole. I rarely give really high marks for products, and I have had this a week before posting the review. I would have waited longer, but this has been so fantastic that I really wanted to share.

Here are a couple of pics to start:
proxy.php

These were both taken by Robert and posted on his site

proxy.php

Price: This razor cost my $495 including shipping, a case, and a wrench for the adjustable pin. Considering Robert forges his own steel with a proprietary recipe, I'd say that it's hard to imagine a better value. This is especially true when considering the cost of some of the production razors on the market today.

Craftsmanship: I love almost everything about this razor with one exception (which I'll get to in a moment).

- The blade: It came with a beautiful mirror finish without flaw, with fantastic spine work. The jimps are a bit uneven on the top in terms of spacing. The jimps on the bottom were perfect. After studying it, I have not been able to conclude whether the uneven spacing on top was by design or not. Here's why: I told him that I like geometric shapes, but I wanted everything to incorporate the natural elements found in nature. Since nothing is perfectly symmetrical in nature, I feel like he may have made the jimps like this by design. Either way, I gave a 9 out of 10 because of it. I feel like the overall look of it is stunning. The "Elite French" tip is easily my favorite tip now, and it took an edge perfectly.

Grind Symmetry
proxy.php

Beautiful Mirror Finish
proxy.php

Gorgeous Scales
proxy.php

Spine work
proxy.php

Here's some pics of the jimps for you to decide for yourself
proxy.php

I noticed that the jimps were hard to polish:biggrin:

proxy.php

- The scales: I absolutely love the giraffe bone scales. In fact, I think they may be my favorite scale material now. They feel great, and they took the dye wonderfully. Because of the nature of the bone, it's not possible to get the scales to take the dye the same way every time, which I think adds a really cool, organic look.

- The pins: Adjustable pins with a torx wrench supplied. I'm pleased, and the aesthetics are neither helped nor hurt by them, in my opinion.

Easy to sharpen: I'm taking Robert's word on this, but he said it was very easy to sharpen, and I can attest to the fact that it takes a wonderful edge. In fact, it came to me as easily my best shaver.

Lasting Edge: I've given this an N/A because I haven't had it long enough to give a fair judgment to it. However, Robert has assured me that his other customers have been giving him tremendous feedback specific to blade stability and a lasting edge.

Shaving Smoothness:

This was the most incredible part of the razor. I loved the aesthetics, but I was wondering what the shave would be like considering the size and heft. And to be quite honest, I was concerned about that Elite French Tip. This razor easily provided my smoothest shave to date. I had no trouble on any spot of my face, and there wasn't even a hint of sting or irritation. The blade is super sharp and super smooth. There is nothing negative to say about it.

A lot of this can be attributed to the fact that this 8/8 1/4 hollow Beast is perfectly balanced. I could not get over how nimbly I was able to maneuver the razor, and I found that the extended edge on this oblique tip allowed me to reach areas that had previously been more challenging. Even while stropping, the feel of this razor in my hand couldn't be better.

Easy to Maintain:
I am giving this a 10 because of the ease of stropping that I mentioned above as well as the fact that I've not noticed any drop off in edge performance to date. Additionally, I could be biased by my respect for Robert and his relaying the experience of his other customers to me specific to edge maintenance.

In conclusion: This has easily become my favorite razor, and I would recommend working with Robert to anyone who is inclined to commission a custom razor. In fact, I'm already back on the list :cool:

Please discuss this review Here
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness