What's new

Robert Becker Medium Scuttle

I bought a RB scuttle on Ebay (which is where you get these).

It works well. It maintains warm lather throughout the shave, as it is supposed to.

The quality, however, is average (hence the 5). It is lighter (indicating less product or less dense product went into making it), and they are not hand-turned on a pottery wheel. Therefore, the lack of hand-work, and the lighter less "substantial" feel warranted the 5. It isn't falling apart, however, but in comparison to my G5 and my Moss, it feels cheaper.

Useful in a couple ways...I find building lather in it to be easy...no problem, and if you are in a hurry or don't want hot lather that day, using is as a lather bowl is easy and affords you the ability to not have a second piece of pottery on the counter. (My Moss is too small to lather in, so I have an Ayers lather bowl to match, which allows this, but it's a second piece of pottery on the table).

Because of the light weightedness, I imagine the durability is less than a heavier piece. But, as we aren't throwing these around, as long as one is careful, it should last a long time.

It came packaged wonderfully, very secure and safe, very protected.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
2.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)
I picked this up from an ebay vendor that is getting some good reviews on the shaving boards. The outside bowl measures 5 1/2" diameter by 3" deep and the inside bowl is 4 1/2" diameter by 2" deep. This is the medium scuttle. Robert offers a smaller one and a larger one. Very reasonably priced at $25.00 (at the time of this review) + SH. I can't compare it to any of the other scuttles since this is my first one. It does what it's supposed to do, keep your lather and brush warm between passes. You might need to adjust your hot/cold settings til you get it right. My water to me isnt that hot but after a few mins in the Becker scuttle the lather was getting a little thin so it retains heat well. It's light weight but sturdy. I think as time goes by you will see more and more of Robert's scuttles on the shaving boards. Add another satisfied customer to the list.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)