What's new

Real Shaving Company Shaving Cream

Pros: lathers really well in hard water
I'm relatively new to wet shaving so I don't have a lot to compare this product too. I've used proraso soap in the green tub, and I've also used some creams from www.yorkgrooming.co .

Before I go any further I need to mention that I have well water that is incredibly harder. So hard that even a water softener won't do anything.

With the first two products I tried I could never get the rich lather that you hear people talking about. I always got thin useable lather that shaved better than the canned gunk but never anything that I'd write home about.

Enter in this new product that I saw at the local Shoppers Drug Mart. Talk about a lather. A little dab on the brush and I had enough for 3-4 passes, though I only do 2. Lather felt great, didn't irritate the skin or dry it out either. And the smell was relatively mild and didn't linger.

While I look forward to trying out new creams and soaps this will most likely be my go to cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Low price, Available at Local Rite Aid, Decent Shave.
Cons: Boring
To me this seems like the poor man's version of a traditional unscented cream, like AOS unscented or something along that line. It doesn't quite work as well as many traditional creams but for the price, you could do a lot worse. Overall, I found this to be a decent buy, and it is nice to have it in your arsenal in a pinch. In fact I think that is the best way to describe this cream...decent. It provides a decent lather, gives you decent protection, and will give you a decent shave. The price however, is not decent, it is great. I have tried much worse creams that cost more. I am not running out to buy more, but I keep it around just in case I need it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap!!
Cons: It's kind of cheap
No bad, cheap so easy to deal with. I quite like it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, ease of use, and requires a small amount for great lathering
Use as a super lather. Pea sized amount combined with soap du jour results in outstanding lather.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: It is an all natural product with no chemical additives.
Cons: The lather seemed a bit thin to me.
I found this in my local Rite Aid for $4.99. The previous week it was on sale for $3.99, but I seemed to have missed it. The first time I tried it I used one of my favorite straight razors and I had no complaint except that the lather seemed a bit thin to me. This may be my lack of familiarity with it. It seems to be basicallly unscented. All in all I was very pleased with it and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an all natural shaving product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This Product is now on shelves in DFW Area HEB Grocery Stores.
Price - I picked this up at Rite Aid and it was fairly cheap- $5-7 range.
Quality - The cream has a nice, white, somewhat metallic color to it and it performs well.
Scent - A little lacking. It has an earthy scent, but something more would be wonderful. No artificial cloying junk.
Latherability - Couldn't get much better than this. Lathers in under a minute, but make sure you mix the water right.
Efficacy - Smooth as silk.
Moisturizing Properties - Pretty decent- it doesn't dry the skin out at all.
Packaging - Nothing fancy, but nothing awful either.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This review is for the MOISTURIZING variety, which has been reviewed a lot here so far anyway, so I didn't think I needed to start a whole new thread. Actually, I hear that there is not much of a difference between the moisturizing and sensitive versions anyway. I have bought a tube as recently as 2 months ago, so I am not sure when the Rite Aid stores in CA will get the previously mentioned "traditional" variety in place of the other variations. On the RSC site, it shows the "traditional" as the product selection of the day. I would be interested to know what, if any, differences exist between the moisturizing and the traditional.
I actually started using this stuff when I was blind to the world of wet shaving, so I know that this cream does well even without a brush and while shaving with a cartridge. I got so hooked on it, that when I saw it again at Rite Aid I bought all three tubes they had on the shelf. Since then, I pick one up every time I go to a Rite Aid, so I have at least 3 tubes in reserve. I liked it so much, that I went reading reviews of it, which led me to B&B, which got me into DE shaving... the rest is history.
Not a lot I can add with the copious reviews done so far, except for the longevity of a bottle. I use only an almond sized portion a day, and a tube ends up lasting me the grater part of 6 months. That is a great deal for $5.
I am not sure what the issue is with people not liking the scent, as to me it just smells clean. I rely upon my aftershave for fragrance.
As for moisturizing, I rely upon my aftershave lotion to help me out there.
This is my first ever B&B review, so the disclaimers are that this is my only cream, I use an EJ DE89L with feathers, and witch hazel afterward with an American Crew post shave moisturizer chaser.
If this really is so hard to get a good lather out of, then any creams I try from here on out should be a breeze!
I hope my insights have helped.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
This has been my cream of choice for the last few weeks (I am too nervous to try out my high end creams:laugh:.) It's a great shave cream for the price ($4.99 here in the states) This cream will give you a close, comfortable shave, and leave you skin feeling very smooth. However, this is assuming that you can lather it up. I found it hard to get consistent lathers with it, as the cream is very picky about how much water you use. Still, it's hands down the best shaving product you can find in drug stores, which makes it a keeper for me.
Overall this is an amazing cream. I was bummed when I ran out of my AoS Lemon shave cream cause I didn't want to spend the money for more. I saw a review on this cream on Mantic59's YouTube channel and figured I'd try it out.
Wow!!! Its amazing. Right on par with AoS IMO.
One word of caution: a little goes a long way. Don't use too much or you will end up with a ton of lather (like thats a bad thing :tongue_sm).

The only thing I don't like is the scent. Its hard to put my finger on. Maybe a little tea tree, but it doesn't really have the best scent. Worse is that the scent drowns out the scent of my soaps, so I can only add a tiny bit of cream if I'm using a soap with it so it doesn't drown it out. I can live with that though.
This is a fantastic cream and I'd recommend it to anybody who is looking to try out a great product or simply wants great quality at a low price. :thumbup:

$5 at Rite Aid.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
They started stocking this where I work, so I had to pick up a tube to try after reading the reviews here. I purchased the "Moisturizing" cream.

Price - I paid $3.85. It is more expensive than VDH soap (my usual), but it is definitely not expensive.

Quality - I was surprised at the quality of the product. I love the pearl-like sheen that it possesses. It's very interesting.

Scent - I wasn't too turned on by the scent. It seems a little too fruity for my nose, but it is definitely not a bad scent by any means. It goes away quickly after applying aftershave.

Latherability - I've used it twice using my regular lathering methods, and it seems that it is rather picky about how much water you add to it. I ended up with runny later the first time I used it, so I slacked off on the water the last time and the lather came out perfectly. Nice, thick, and rich.

Efficacy - It has given me very close shaves the past two times that I have used it. The moisturizing properties are a great addition, especially here in the mountains during the winter.

Moisturizing - This stuff saturated my skin. I didn't need to apply a balm after using it. This may be a flaw for some folks who do not have dry skin. For me, the additional moisture is welcomed.

Packaging - It's in a tube. That's all it needs to be in I suppose. It's a simple, yet refined look.

Overall, I'll probably keep a tube of this laying around. It's a nice change of pace, and it does perform very well.
A pretty dense/thick cream that requires careful attention to the water mix. You need to take care in generating lather as it is not as forgiving as other creams. Great moisturizer, but personally I am disappointed by the scent.

For the price it can be found, it is recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price: Good, just $6.99.

Quality: Decent.

Scent: Decent.

Latherability: Below average.

Efficacy & Moisturising Properties: Slickness and razor glide aren't very good with this cream. I end up with nicks and dry skin after shaving.

Packaging: Nice presentation and colors, but just a regular tube.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Gave it a try and stopped by a Rite Aid and bought some. This is a performer. I think the scent leaves something to be desired. Overall, it is a great performer. BTW, after I bought it I went to the RSC site and saw they had a $2 coupon available.. I could have saved even more if I'd checked online before I pulled the trigger.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This shaving cream lathers well, is quite slick yet rinses off easily, and is paraben free. Luxurious. Slick to the very end. Not as moisturing as I hoped. Even the Moisturizing version doesn't moisturize as well as some other creams.

A wonderful companion to a badger brush and a iridium loaded DE89L.

Forces me to choose my After Shave Balm for the day. :wink2:

Don't know how long these formulas will be available at Rite Aid. New formulas have the word "Traditional" on the tube.
The local Poundland has piles of the stuff on sale for £1 a tube!!!! Now that's what I call cheap!!!
D
No comment on the moisturizing properties.

This stuff is cheap, decent quality, lathers well with very little water, and lubricates well enough. There's far better stuff; but shake your brush thoroughly and throw it into a small blob of this and you get something useful.

I was not impressed with the scent. I love my aromatics. Saint Charle's Shave made a nice Pipe Tobacco scented shave cream for a while, which I love (I don't smoke); I'm much into Bay Rums; and my first experience chasing down shaving products was with Gillette's Mach3 gel in a can, which smells STRONGLY of limes. The scent is not unpleasant; it's just near non-existent, and what is present is unimpressive.

Be forewarned, this stuff is sensitive to water and breaks down fast. I shook a VDH Boar Brush out experimenting, almost completely; and mixed enough in a 1.5 size Dirty Bird scuttle. Adding a few drops of water at a time slowly built me various decent consistencies; my final addition was wetting and shaking out my hand, then squeezing a fist above to get 3 or 4 drops into the fluffy, slick lather I'd built. This completely collapsed the lather, as if the brush had just been washed. Up to that point, I had decent lather. Use very little water.

I'll try Musgo or Proraso next; at $7 a tube, RSC cream competes on price but I heartell these are similar to a degree, and a good place to start comparing.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
At $2.99 you'll feel like you stole something. It lathers like crazy, and gives a nice smooth shave. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, Creightons, the parent company behind the RSC brand, is the OEM behind a lot of shaving creams from other high-end English brands. So at $2.99 you're getting a fantastic product. The only knock, if that, is the smell is a bit synthetic. But that's very minor. Run to your Rite-Aid!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Ive been using the Real Shave Co. shave creams in my rotation for about 6months now and I couldn't be more happy. This cream is one of the few traditional lathering creams you can buy in your local Rite-aid or Duane Reade pharmacy and its only around $5. IMO this cream is as good as the much more expensive high end English creams in every way except for its scent, its sort of a generic citrus/woodsy scent and you don't have any other scent choices. The fragrance is nothing special but it doesn't seem to linger and once you rinse and splash on some aftershave you wont even notice it any more. So if your looking for a great cream thats readily available, doesn't cost a fortune and works as well as the higher end creams , The Real Shave Co. cream may be just what your looking for. Right now Rite-Aid has the cream on clearance for $2.99 but you better hurry I picked up the last 3 tubes that my local Rite-aid had!
Highly recommended :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Just to be clear, this is the "sensitive" version. I also picked up this cream at Rite Aid on sale for $2.99. This cream is one of Creighton's house brands and looking at the ingredients and observing how it lathers and such it appears to be virtually the same basic formula as the "regular" creams from more expensive brands such as Taylor's and Trumper's. The main difference is that this cream contains allantoin and tea tree oil and has no parabens.

The scent of this cream is strange, especially for a "sensitive" cream. The tea tree oil is almost overwhelming at first but is just fine once you get the lather ready to shave with. Truthfully, I would prefer a slightly more subdued scent. There is some fragrance that I can't put a finger on but it basically smells like an inexpensive old style barbershop cologne scent and a more modern "sport" type scent used typical drugstore men's hygiene products like deodorant, body wash, etc. It's not going to win any awards for have the best scent in the world but it certainly isn't bad or offensive. The tea tree oil component is pretty strong, so if you don't like the smell of tea tree oil stay away from this cream.

Latherability is excellent, and this cream is a bit more concentrated that you'd expect, even though it comes in a tube. You'll have to experiment to get the water to cream ratio right but definitely resist the temptation to use too much cream just because it comes from a tub and not a pot.

Efficacy is also quite good, again, it works pretty much the same way as Trumpers, Taylors, or any other cream that is produced by Creighton's. Adding the allantoin is a nice touch, but I the effects of this ingredient are so subtle that you're not going to notice a huge difference in shave quality over some other cream that doesn't have it. Putting tea tree oil in this cream is a weird choice for a sensitive skin cream. My guess is they put it in there for its antiseptic qualities, which is fine. It also has astringent qualities, so it might be a little drying for some people. In rare instances, some people may be allergic to tea tree oil and develop a skin reaction from it. Personally, I have sensitive skin and it didn't bother me. My skin did not feel overly dry or super hydrated after using this product, it felt about normal. Hence the 7 rating for moisturizing.

Personally, I would prefer if they used a more healing type of ingredient, such as aloe vera instead of the tea tree oil. Adding extra glycerin and a little sesame oil to the cream might make it a little more slick and moisturizing. Again, this stuff performs fine as is, but for a "sensitive" cream, I would hope for a bit more. For example, this cream is not as good as Taylor's Avocado or the old formula Body Shop shave cream, mainly because it lacks the extra moisturizing ingredients those creams have.

The packaging is fine but I prefer plastic tubs instead of tubes. No big deal given the price.

NOTE:

I believe RSC have discontinued this cream and are in the process of launching a new formulation of it. I was in a Duane Reade pharmacy recently and saw that the "sensitive" and "moisturizing" creams are no longer on the shelf. Instead they have "traditional" shave cream by RSC which now includes sweet almond oil as well as some other things that were not in either of the previous formula. They have taken out the tea tree oil and it now comes in a 125ml tube instead of a 150ml tube. I'd be curious to try the new formula to see if the performance, particularly in the moisturizing department, has improved.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)