What's new

RazoRock

First of all I want to make a preface, writing down what is my personal relationship with Giuseppe (Joe) of Italian Barber. Since this question has been asked me so many times by a lot of people on this board, here you are. We are great friends, only great friends. Our friendship started right here on B&B, as soon as we registered on this beautiful site and much time before he opened his on-line shop. To be more precise, Giuseppe always repeats that it really was my passion and love for wet shaving in general and Italian made products in particular that inspired him on opening Italian Barber. We were, and obviously still are, in continous contact for discussing about shaving questions. And, time ago, Giuseppe told me his intention to introduce some new Italian made products on his store, with his copyrighted RazoRock logo. He also said that I “necessarily” had to try them and let him know my thoughts. Therefore he was kind enough to send me a free pack with some of his new items. Last week I received his new artisan soap, his new RazoRock XXX and his new AS Wax.

Here is my review of the RazoRock XXX cream/soap.

The RazoRock XXX (as well as all the other RazoRock cream/soaps) is made in Italy by Biochimica S.p.A., the distributor of the legendary P.160 and actual manufacturer of Acqua di Parma, Collezione Barbiere. This cream/soap has the traditional consistency of most Italian made shaving creams and soaps, i.e. the classic “in between” density of hard creams or soft soaps. To be honest it really is a bit softer than Cella, P.160 or Vitos. Hence I would more precisely describe it as a semi-hard cream, rather than a soft soap. It comes housed in a simple plastic black bowl with the RazoRock logo on the top of the lid. Nothing particularly fancy or attractive. But I like it, also because this kind of inexpensive packaging helps keeping the price very low. I checked on the Italian Barber site, it’s price is $ 8.99 ($ 7.99 on sale) for a 150 ml bowl and I truly think this price is excellent. Now the scent: spectacular. Simply spectacular. The fragrance of the XXX seems a mix between a top-shelf Italian cologne and a traditional barbershop smell. Something wonderfully good that represents a novelty and a pleasant change from the classic Almond scents. The latherability is exceptional. With no efforts you can generate a beautiful creamy lather for a very close, comfortable shave. The lather, particularly thick and slick, gives superb glide to your razor and an amazing post shave feeling. Moisturizing properties are also outstanding: superb hydratation during and after the shave, really no dryness or whatsoever. The reason of this terrific performance? I think the quality of the ingredients used. This is the key secret of the RazoRock XXX. A ton of skin friendly and protective agents. Just give a look at the ingredients list on the bottom of the bowl… Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Extracts of Mallow, hydrolised Wheat Protein, Lemon Balm and others. Furthermore, NO SLS and NO parabens. In conclusion this cream/soap is not only a top-shelf product, but it’s comparable to the very best Italian classics. Or, if you prefer, the RazoRock XXX is a winner under every aspect. I am seriously impressed. Grazie, Giuseppe.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I wanted to use this a bit longer before I did my review and now I'm ready.

This stuff lathers! A cold bowl does fine but a warm scuttle makes it lather a bit faster. Wax is one of the ingredients so I guess the heat from the scuttle is making the wax work better but don't be concerned. It lathers in a cold bowl or mug too!

It loves water but I would suggest adding small amounts at first so you can test out what works for you. If you're not getting peaks of lather try some more water sprinkles.

This is really nice and slick and gives a great shave and it will still work well if you don't get the water exactly right.

Smells like almonds and cherries and I know smell is subjective so if you like that smell you're all set. I happen to like it.

I've tested it out a few more times in a metal bowl and a ceramic mug and for some reason my metal bowl pretty much kills any scent. The mug
on the other hand holds the scent very nice right through the shave. Once the cream hits my face the smell changes but it's still a nice scent. It smells classic.

Once the shave is over the scent is pretty much gone but there is a clean smell left just not perfumed.

I put a 10 for moisturizing because it doesn't dry out my face but I'm not sure it moisturizes it either. If it dried my face at all I wouldn't put a 10.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a great cream at a great price, it lathers well smells great and makes a great lather. The container is not the greatest but it works. Id love to be able to try more brands for comparisons sake but if it works...... The other favorite
o mine is Fraser's also from our Maple leaved brothers up north,Those Canuck's know what the good stuff is Thanks Italian Barber you is the Latherman:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Not much to say about this stuff, it's AWESOME. Dirty cheap, smells good enough to eat, lathers up like crazy and works fantastic.

Face lathering is a dream with this stuff, 10-20 swirls on a brush and you are set for 3-4 passes. Bowl lathering is also great with it. You get a nice consistency either way and it's a nice slick shave and leaves zero irritation on my sensitive skin. When I know I need a good shave, i reach for my RazoRock. The only reason I get an 8 for scent, was it sometimes does not last the entire shave, but i don't know of a soap that does.

I have both this and Figaro and they are IDENTICAL as the description on ItalilanBarber.com says. Not sure who else sells it, i got it from IB

If you live in Canada, you get get this stuff online for $5/tub, about 1/2 the pricer of other comparable soaps.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is the container. It doesn't seal properly after use, as it's not a screw on lid, it's just a pressure fit. My solution was to transfer the contents into one of my kids old body butter jars (after I cleaned it out) and now with the screw top, it's PERFECT.

If you haven't tried this stuff, there is no longer any excuse. You know where to get it and it's cheap, so buy some, NOW
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have now used RazoRock several times with different Razors and Blades. I have achieved the same results each time. An excellent shave

RazoRock is a semi-hard cream (not as hard as Cella) which lathers well with almost no effort. The lather is rich, slick and very moist. It does leave a light film after each stoke so you can even go back over an area without fear of skipping or dragging.

The scent is of marzipan with a hint of cherry. A little off putting for me but the scent does not linger.

The packaging is a little flimsy. It comes in a thin plastic tub with a pry of top. But I assume the lighter, thinner plastic allows them to keep the cost down.

Overall I find this to be a very nice quality cream which definitely has a permanent place in my have den.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)