What's new

r41 (2011 model)

Pros: mass, agressiveness
Cons: lack of knurling on the handle
The 2011-model R41 by Mühle is designed to cut tough beards. The blade exposure allows the razor to cut efficiently, but the result is an undeniably aggressive shave. Price: Most online retailers sell the R41 for around US$61. A decent price for a high-performance razor that should last decades. (I borrowed one for a few days, so I’ve not yet purchased one.) Quality: Plating is good, but I don’t know what alloy is underneath. User Friendly: Typical 3-piece razor. Blade loading is straightforward. Grip: I expected more pronounced knurling for such a weighty and aggressive razor, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ease at which I held the razor. Aggressiveness: Significant blade exposure makes the razor leap out and grab whiskers. It’s as though my beard insulted the R41’s mother. Adjustability: This is not an adjustable razor. Balance: Center of mass seems to be right at the sweet spot.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very agressive, great for tough beards
Cons: Can dull the blade fairly quick
Ok, I've been reminded by a contributor on b and b that I really shouldn't be using the reviews section to post my initial impressions. Granted I understand what said contributor stated and have been using this razor continuously for a month now with a combination of blades and creams/soaps in order to provide a better review.

I'm only going to comment on items that have changed, so think of this more as an update on the original review I posted.

In terms of it being user friendly I still think its reasonably ok, however I think if someone that has just started de shaving this isn't the razor for them, you do really need to have some experience and have your technique down in order to shave effectively with this.

Aggressiveness, now to me, it feels like your using a straight on your face, almost..although it will get you bbs.

The main issue with the razor, as pointed out by the contributor I was discussing earlier is that by the third shave using this razor the blade is dulled, now to be fair I have found this myself with certain blades, such as feather and astras, although I have been using unbranded Israeli personnas for the last week and only had to change the blade once.

In general it is a quality razor that produces excellent shaves in my opinion, although if you have sensitive skin or prefer a less aggressive feel from a razor you may want to think again.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)