What's new

Queen Charlotte Soaps Cedarwood/Lemongrass

PRICE: It's affordable, $7.50 for 4oz. (probably more), shipping's cheap from NC to GA.

Quality: Very high, a fairly hard cream soap with TALLOW! and scented with EOs!

SCENT: Heavy on lemongrass, cedar is there but definitely in the background, I like the mellow lemony smell with a hint of cedar.

Latherability: Makes meringue-like lather in no time, I use a boar heated up under a hot running faucet, squeeze it out, do about 5 swirls and this stuff explodes on your face.

EFFICACY: QCS has smooth tallowy cushion that makes your razor glide and slice those whiskers with the greatest of ease.

Moisturizing Properties: Another thing that I like about tallow soaps is they leave your face basically how it was before you started except clean feeling, this is the same.

PACKAGING: It's a fairly standard Parkway Plastics polypropylene container, keeps the good stuff in and protected, it's a screw top and it's packed to the brim.

:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
PRICE: for $7.50 a tub, you cannot go wrong. A dense shave cream soap that will last a long, long time. 4+ ounces of product loaded into the tub.
Considering how much-err, how little is needed to load on the brush and my rotation, I'll definitely get my money's worth! :thumbup:

QUALITY: Upon opening your package, you think oh,just another shave cream. However, upon opening, inhaling the scent, and realizing it's made by a member, you realize this could compete w/ the big boys-watch out Castle Forbes! :biggrin1:

SCENT: I did not realize how well these two scents would mesh. The lemongrass is dominant(to my nose), but the cedarwood catches you every time you move your head. You can smell this shave cream from start to finish.

LATHERABILITY: Winner, winner, chicken dinner! If you have a problem lathering w/ this, then back to the end of the n()()b line you go! Matthew must be a face latherer(like myself) because this cream explodes into creamy goodness. After soaking my 2009 LE, I shook it twice and loaded the tips. I had enough lather for 2 head passes and 2 face passes. This is on the other end of the spectrum for lathering as compared to another artisan cream SCS. I believe my dog Jazz could lather this cream just by licking the tub!
I am starting to believe that if you aren't named Sue, then your initials had better have CS in there somewhere. :thumbup1:

EFFICACY: The cream/soap provides glide, slide, and ride. My razor(Lady Gillette) loaded w/ a Bolzano blade(2nd shave) mowed the whiskers down with ease. I only needed 2 passes on my face to get BBS. No tugging, grabbing, or drying out. I think this cream/soap could provide a good shave w/ a Merkur blade!:wink2:

MOISTURIZING PROPERTIES: Getting the proper water to cream/soap ratio was fairly easy. Every time I went to the scuttle for my brush, the thinned out portion on the bottom of the brush was wet enough to mix up well with the remainder further up the breech. My face stayed soft through out the shave. Upon rinsing, I noticed that my face was basically light bulb smooth-a 1/2 step above squeaky clean. Firm, but not tight and ready for whatever product was going to be used next.

PACKAGING: Now this is how you package a product! Shipped priority mail and securely wrapped. Each tub of shave cream was also sealed where the top screws into the tub-no chance for escape! :thumbup1:

All in all, I appreciate the effort that Matthew and his testers put in to deliver us a fine product such as this. My shave w/ the key Lime was superb also. Although Matt claims it to be a dry scent, it is definitely not 'just' a summer scent-I will definitely be a 'Limey' this winter. :sneaky2:

Queen Charlotte Soaps is a grand entry into the world of wet shaving and I'm happy to be one of its customers.

marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Got mine today, and while it is too soon to post a full review...

I have to say this a remarkable product!
:thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
So I received this cream from user mretzloff on Monday. Some of you may have participated in some of his beta testing of his tallow based shaving cream. Well, I am happy to say that I received my first full tub of the actual production run, and it's a good thing, since I was hoarding my last shave of the prototype I had left until I was sure I could get more!! It's that good. Couple of words about Matthew as a businessman before I get to the review. He put a lot of thought into the product, and finding testers, getting feedback, from us, his target audience. Also, I ordered the soap on June 3rd, and received it on June 7th from NC to TX, so he shipped promptly, with no problems. First class all the way. So, on to the review:

Price: $7.50 for 4oz. $3.00 shipping to TX, so $10.50 total. It's your standard size tub, loaded all the way to the top, so I think it was a tad over the 4oz. So less cost than say a proraso, for a little bit more quantity, and a better cream, with a custom, artisan feel. A definite 10

Quality: Overall quality for me is a 10. Having said that, I am all about when the rubber hits the road, er, razor hits the skin. What does it shave like trumps everything else for me, and this is a quality product in that regard. Lathers like the dickens, lot's of it, and the lather is S-T-A-B-L-E. Once it is built, and it builds with the consistency of whipped cream, it's built. Thick and creamy.

Scent: It took a hit on scent a 9, only because I was looking for a stronger cedar note. Scent, for me though, has the lowest weighted value when reviewing soaps or creams, as they don't stick around long anyway.

Latherability: 10. Easy to create a dense, thick, creamy lather. Not tricky as far as the water ratio goes. As long as you add a little at a time to the lather bowl, you are not going to get it to "break" and become unusable.

Efficacy: 10. Very effective with great razor glide. Good cushion and protection. Does exactly what it is supposed to do with a definite luxurious feel.

Moisturizing Properties: 10. Doesn't dry, but does not add so much that you get buildup with a nice ASB afterwards. The way I look at this category is does the product interfere with my skins natural balance, and still allow me to utilize an ASB. So in the regard, it scores high.

Packaging: 10. It is the standard tub that we all receive our artisan soaps and creams in. It was well packaged for shipping to avoid damage, and was completely intact when it arrived.

Overall, do yourself a favor and give this stuff a try. I can't see that you would be disappointed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)