What's new

QED Select 24mm Best Badger Brush

I just want to echo the other reviews of the very impressive QED Select in Best. The 24mm is a pretty large blooming brush (just FYI--you can also get 20mm and 22mm); but, it's simply a fantastic brush and it's absolutely my recommended value brush. By "value brush", I certainly acknowledge it's a great lower cost brush; but, I equally mean this brush performs well above it's pay grade. Charles did the community a service selling this brush at this price. [Disclaimer: The BBE would be another recommendation, but it's no longer readily available.]

I agree with the previous reviews: the QED Select totally, utterly, and completely smacks the C&E BBB down, unless you really like a looser, scratchier brush. That's OK--brushes definitely have a personal preference factor--but the QED brush is denser, softer, and to my mind simply much better. For fans of the C&E BBB, and I'm one myself, please understand I'm not pooh-poohing that brush; rather, I'm singing the praises of a brush that I think is even better than the very worthy C&E BBB.

This largest version of the QED Select in best would run you about $15 more than the C&E. If these brushes are available (and I've only very recently heard disenheartening rumors they aren't), and you can possibly stretch from $35 for the C&E up to $50ish for the QED brush, I really believe the $15 is worth it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I'm amazed by what Charles has delivered for around $50. For $16 more than the C&E BBB, you get much higher knot density, much more backbone, better hair, and a handle with better ergonomics. I have Simpsons, Shavemacs, EJ's, and a Plisson, but this one is becoming my favorite all around brush. It does it all, and well. It generates a fantastic lather and lets it go easily. The only negative I can come up with is the hint of scratchiness that it has, but that comes with the territory with a best badger brush. Now I want to try one in Silvertip!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Unfortunately, I do not have much more to add. The first 2 posters hit the nail on the head. If you are in the market for a quality brush, give this brush a try. This is a fantasic brush at any price point.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this brush for about 2 months now. I wanted to wait to get over that initial feeling of joy after a new purchase.

The price of this brush is a real steal. $51 for the best badger is pretty hard to beat. The price of this brush makes me wish I would have never bought another brush.

Quality is top notch in my book. In the 2 months I have used this brush I have no complaints. I have lost about 7-8 hairs in that time which I am not concerned about. The handle is nothing special compared to high end brushed but it is also not skimpy and has some good weight to it.

Denisty is good. I only can compare it to a vulfix and a C&E BBB. The density of this brush blows the other 2 away.

Stiffness of tips is great. This brush is not floppy and when creating lather I don't notice any bending unless I press overly hard.

Softness is good. For a best badger I don't find this brush prickly or at all. To me it is quite soft to touch.

Ergonomic. I have this a 7 becasue the handle does take a little getting used to. It has a longer handle than what I am used to and I do find I like a little shorter handle.

Latherability is awesome. When I first started I had problems making lather with my vulfix and my C&E BBB. After several posts most people told me that it was my technique. After much practice and no better results I ordered this brush. Without changing anything but brushes my ability to make lather increased ten fold. I can whip up lather with half the effort with this brush. This brush works equally well with soaps and creams.

I highly recommend this brush, especially to newcomers. You don't have to spend lots of money to get a quality product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I apologize in advance for not having any pics of this brush. If I had a digicam, you guys would've gotten a full run-down of the lathering fun I had upon receiving it.

These are the new brushes that Charles has had in the making for about two years now. They are finally available to the public, and are available at very low prices in a variety of hair grades (Pure, Best and Silvertip), knot sizes (20mm, 22mm and 24mm). This review is for the 24mm brush, which the stock photo shows for the review.

More information concerning prices, hair grade, sizing and handle type can be viewed here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=740166#post740166

Let me start by saying that I am by no means a brush connoisseur that many of you gentlemen are, so take this with as many grains of salt as you see fit. However, I don't think anyone needs to use thousands of dollars worth of brushes to see that this is a high quality piece of shaving equipment.

The dimensions of the brush may be found in the thread linked previously, and the diameter of the brush in full bloom is about 85mm. This is not what I'd call a huge brush, but it's certainly not a small brush either. At first, I thought I wanted a small brush but I've been very happy with my decision this far and the brush is not too big at all. The ONLY issue that I see with this is that if you're lathering from a bowl of soap, you may get some spill-over. But that's pretty obvious, isn't it?

Price - Easy 10 here. Take a look at the prices. You'd be very hard-pressed to find a high quality brush for any less than that. Everyone knows Charles is very picky, and he doesn't compromise quality at any expense. The cost of my brush was a mere $51. I could see myself spending much more than that and still being perfectly happy with my purchase. Prices start at a mere $27 for a Pure 20mm, all the way to $65 for a 24mm Silvertip. Very, very reasonable, and for the money I feel it blows a C&E BBB or comparable brush out of the water.

Quality - No skimping. The handle has a very nice hefty feel to it, and it just feels like you're holding a high-quality piece of equipment. The knot is very tight. The brush is just beautiful fully bloomed, and though these are intended in no way to be a replacement for the Savile Row brushes they have a similar profile. I also would like to add that it seems the "Best" quality hair in this brush is superior to that of the "Best" hair in the C&E.

Density - Again, I don't have a whole lot to compare it to but density is not lacking. Not overly dense at all, mind you.

Stiffness - The tips have a fair amount of stiffness and spring to them. It's certainly not floppy, and works just as well with soaps as with creams.

Softness - Despite the "Best" grade, these tips are pretty damned soft. The C&E Best is quite a bit pricklier, IMO. Feels amazing on the face, yet the stiffness keeps it from being overly soft.

Ergonomic - I find this brush extremely comfortable and efficient for loading soaps. I have rather large hands, and the handle isn't too small at all.

Latherability - My favorite part :w00t:. Despite the handle being especially ergonomic for soaps, this brush whips up creams just as well. This brush holds quite a bit of water, but I can create superfluous amounts of rich, thick lather with conservative amounts of product. This is not what I normally do :lol:, I am normally quite generous with product, this was just to give her a go. Loads up on soaps quick as lightning, and transforms that pre-lather into gorgeous shave-able goodness quickly as it hits your face or your bowl.

I hope I've given you a decent rundown of the new QED Select from Charles. Again, it is obvious that Charles really put his heart and soul into offering an affordable yet highly effective and high-quality brush at a very affordable price.

I've lost probably a dozen hairs overall in the first couple days, but none since. Mind you I whipped up probably 20 bowls of redundant lather the first day :lol:. I told myself I was going to purchase an SR3824 after this, but if the brush keeps performing the way it does I will see no need. No, I'm probably lying, I'll probably end up with one anyway :lol:.

Charles is apparently getting a new site with these brushes on there :w00t:, but it's one of those things I'd have to see to believe :001_rolle. You may have to contact him via phone or e-mail in the meantime.

Here's the discussion thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=748081#post748081
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)