What's new

Provence Sante Shaving Brush

This was the first real brush I ever had and I think it did a wonderful job. I got mine in the set from a high end soap store. It was a christmas gift from my mom. I still have mine and I don't use it that much only because I don't want the handle to get broken because I am not sure I could replalce it. I'd give it :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I switched to wetshaving about four years ago (and used an M3 razor until last week.. :001_smile), and started by getting the Provence Sante (PS) soap dish and brush from a high-end grocery store. I think the brush cost about $45 and the soap + clay bowl about $20. The brush is now $50 and the soap w/ dish $25 at Baudelaire (http://www.baudelairesoaps.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_307).

I've been using the Provence Sante soap exclusively, and the brush does an adequate job. It lathers well and generates a thick lather pretty quickly.

But it sheds like crazy. I used to think this was something pretty normal, but after joining B&B and reading, I realize that it's the mark of a poorly made brush. Each shave results in three to seven lost bristles. It's really unfortunate. :thumbdown The red clay handle matches the soap dish very nicely.

The red clay handle often slips out of the hand and it's got tarnishes that don't look that great. See pic below.

The brush also isn't the softest in the world. (I've asked my fiancee for a Rooney Heritage Stubby 2 for Christmas! :001_rolle)

While I love the PS soap and even think that the red clay soap dish is pretty cool, I have to suggest that folks pass on the shaving brush. It wasn't a bad starter brush for me, and I'll keep mine around for sentimental value. But there are much better values out there.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I believe this brush is available by itself but the sources had it listed as unavailable.
The look, feel, and balance of this brush is great. Lathers well.
According to the only official description of this set the brush is "made of finest badger".

View attachment 61690
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips