What's new

Proserpine Razor Company Custom Razors

A new Australian custom razor manufacturer hits the stage.
Custom Spanish Point in African Rosewood Scales
Pros: Very high quality of finish.
Exceptionally good steel using the same blanks as Ralf Aust.
Very good value.
Cons: Communication with the manufacturer can be very difficult at times.
From order/paying to shipping took about 16 weeks.
The manufacturer is Steve Colling of Proserpine, Queensland, Australia. I ordered what I wanted and that was exactly what I received. Cost was about USD 150 (December 2021).

IMG_20220419_122825.jpg
Steve no longer supplies his SR's in a timber case, telling me that they took as long to make as the SR. They now come in a normal cardboard coffin.

With the design I specified, I found that my custom Colling SR was a perfect fit into an old timber SR case that I had lying around.

IMG_20220419_185736.jpg
I specified a 6/8 blade width. The one I received was closer to a ⅞. This is the same as Ralf Aust and most German SR manufacturers who measures their blade widths from the top of the spine wear and not the top of the spine.

The SR arrived shave-ready, honed without tape as requested. My first shave with this SR revealed to me that it would need just a little more work to bring the edge up to the standard that I am use to. A few laps on 1μm film and a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression produced the perfect edge for me.

I put Steve Colling's work at about on par with Ralf Aust. Yes, it's that good.

If I can contact him, Steve will now be my preferred custom SR manufacturer.

Note: Neither Steve's website or Facebook are currently active. He can be contacted via email:

[email protected]

If that doesn't work, try his wife, Kelly:

[email protected]
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: Time Bandit
rbscebu
rbscebu
International shipping from Australia is currently (May 2021) under USD 30 maximum to almost anywhere in the world, taking from 1 to about 5 weeks. That includes tracking and insurance.
Doc Dan
Doc Dan
I just discovered him and then did a search and found this review. I ordered a full hollow, Spanish Point with Paua Shell scales. Excited to get it. He said his HRT is 62 or so. Good enough.
Top Bottom