What's new

Proraso Red with wheat germ oil

2 bad they stopped making it
liked it better than green
I bought a tube of this a while back, tried it, and then sold it, as I was on a quest to try as many creams as I could... felt stupid for having sold it and bought another tube on friday - paid less than $6 for it.

Had a GREAT shave today. The lather is amazing, very cushiony and good protection. The lower menthol content and no eucalyptus make it a good cream for me - I don't care for eucalyptus. The scent of the cream is really nice.

I will need to snap up a few more tubes of this for my hoard/stash so that I can keep using this for a long time. *can anyone confirm that it HAS been discontinued?

Great package - nice old fashioned metal tube.

Excellent moisturizing - my face wonderful this morning.

BUY THIS STUFF IF YOU CAN!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Mine is on its way. As soon as it arrives, I will review as well!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I picked up a few tubes at Bigelow when they were on sale about a year ago for $5.00 each, but even at the normal $10 price, this stuff is good value for the money. I tried it for the first time today and was very impressed. I have been using Proraso Green since I began DE shaving but this stuff is more moisturizing and seems to have gotten me a closer shave. I don't notice much of a scent but iwhat scent there is not unpleasant. I got loads of lather using a Shave Mac. The packaging is no frills - just have to make sure that no cream remains in the grooves at the top of the tube to crack the cheap plastic screw-on cap.

I think I prefer this stuff to many of the pricier English creams that I have picked up. I cannot believe that they took something that works so well out of production. Oh well, with my rotation, the tubes that I have should last me for some time to come. Maybe they will bring it back or maybe something better will come along.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is my favorite, I currently have like 6 Tubes of this stuff and I got them at a super bargain price last winter as they were being liquidated. So in comparison to the green tube, they are better, less medicin smell (no eucalyptus oil in this formula), the reds smell very,very nice and classy, interms of lather and performance they explode just like the green proraso tubes, They help alot as in the moisture department, I alwaysuse the proraso pre-shave regradless if I am using the red Tube or the Green Proraso soap. This soap inspires this wonderful shaving experience for me where, they usually scream for me to get out odf the washroom as I get carried away with itr. The scent is great, not disturbing at all....this is not an "old timer" smell, and does not linger, will work great with any after shave or balm. recommend this highly if you find it snatch it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a GREAT product. love the scent and the lather is right on the money. I wish this product was still being produced. Found an extra tube at a shop herein Dallas and had to pick up the VERY last tube.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've been trying to find this cream. Where can I order it?

I'm skipping the Green Poraso because I'm not a big menthol fan, but I loved old barber shop smells.
Bought this from someone on the board, so the price was right. I was a little leery of trying this, as I had heard about Proraso having such a strong menthol effect, even though the Proraso was "supposedly" milder. My first outing with Proraso was an awesome event! My face felt totally refreshed, and I could have gone without an ASB. The lather was great... all the way through 4 passes sitting in a heated mug. It provided plenty of lubrication, and though it did provide a nice menthol boost, it wasn't overpowering. Did not detect any of the grain smell others had detected.

Too bad this has been discontinued.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I use this cream every single day. Well I just started so I dont have alot on hand to work with but I chose this because of its price and irritation-free shaves. I am getting bored with the scent though but I love this cream. I dont have anything else to compare to besides the Calendula Toms of Maine which irritated my skin.
As I've said of the green tube...Proraso should be the benchmark by which all creams should start. It's not the best smelling, most moisturizing, prettiest packaged stuff out there but it's been around for decades for a reason. It may not be the pack leader in any one category but it holds its own in every category. Proraso should be a required right of passage for all wet shavers. No matter what I buy and experiment with, this holds it's place in my cabinet. It's the Old Spice of shave creams. The only difference between the two for me is the scent. Something about the red tube just reminds a little more of an old barbershop...of which there are far too few now a days.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is absolutely wonderful! :biggrin: when i got the package, i was amazed at how much bigger it was than i thought it would be. the smell of this cream was a tid bit odd at first, but then it grew on me (it's a very subtle and woody/grain type smell). the first time i used it, the lather seemed a bit dry, but then i just added a few teaspoons of water and blam!! it whipped up nicely :thumbup1:
overall, i say this is a good cream that everyone should try (especially for those with sensitive skin).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is absolutely fantastic. My shave was smooth and irritation free. The tube is bigger than you think!

Buy it now if you can find any and save it up because I'm going to try my hardest to squirrel away at least 5 tubes.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Fantastic cream!
For the price, you can't get better than Proraso red. Less cooling than the green one but cool enough for me!
Latherability is excellent. A real old school shaving cream. Too bad they stopped the production. I'm not sure but I think It's still available in can.
I bought a can on Saturday during my trip to Holland. I will let you know when I'll try it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
An outstanding cream and my favorite by far. Not as strong/cooling as the green variety, but in a good way.

I picked up a bunch of it on clearance at $5 a box, but even at $10 it is a great value.

This stuff just works and is my go-to cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is blue-collar worker. Efficient, effective, and great value. It's my go-to-cream for important occasions. Lathers a ton, moisturise my face very well. But I tend to get bored with it if I use for long time due to lack of perfumed scent. But otherwise, it's a winner hands down. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
After using it's counterpart for all last wintertime I thought I would try the red for this season. I think it's going to be a winner. It still has a refreshing cool sensation to it but not as pronounced as the green, which I got used to after using for a few weeks straight.

I picked up four tubes from C,O at a great discount price and I'm glad I did. This stuff performs better than the green and does a great job at protecting the skin and making it feel great after the shave. I personally rank it above taylor's but below C&E... only slightly because the lather isn't as quick and rich.

Load it with lots of water and you get a great mixture that thickens when applying to the face.

Scent could be better in my opinion.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
After reading all the rave reviews of this product I managed to track some down for sale at small local shop for $15; a fair price when you consider that it is widely available for $10 widely with various online sellers, plus factoring in shipping costs. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it really was as good as everyone has been saying. The Proraso Red offers a nice clean and unique scent. It's easy to make great lather with only a small dab of cream. I now understand why Proraso has developed a sort of cult following among DE shavers. Although its an excellent product, I'm not sure I will continue using it long term due to its price tag compared to other products.

I question whether anyone has actual confirmation of the alleged discontinuance of this product or if this is a persistent Internet rumor. The shop where I purchased it said they had received no notice of a discontinuance from their supplier and they intend to continue carrying both Red and Green.

A great product - I would recommend it for anyone.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I too used this the very first time I started shaving with my DE. It's been a love affair ever since.

Nice, mello smell (you can smell the wheat if you sniff hard enough) and it whips up perfectly wioth your brush and goes on like silk. Always have consistantly good shave with this.

I gave the price an "8" as it is now out of production and as a result, you are starting to see price increases at those places who still carry it. (15.00 US at some vendors sites -- it use to be about 9-10 dollars...).

Always a sad day when something so good ceases from this world.

Two words: HOARD NOW.:excl:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Picked up a tube of red Proraso in a drugstore in Rome for around 2 euros. Qualitywise it's more or less equal to the green variant, which means absolute top quality lather, lubrication, and moisturizing properties. I definitely prefer the red because I spend most of my time in cold countries, and so do not feel the need for menthol/eucalyptus. Red Proraso does however have a slight cooling effect, which is just right for summer. It has a milder, more balanced scent than the green. If I want a menthol bomb I just use the Proraso preshave under the cream. In Italy there was no sign that it was going to be discontinued, but this remains to be seen.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I bought this one in the can after Ron (guenron) reviewed it, because I hurt my wrist.

It has a less intense cooling effect without the menthol when you compare it to the Proraso in the green tube.

This worked well with my skin type, and produced a nice lather to boot. White peaks, the whole nine yards. It came together real easy for me.

It provided a nice shave, slick and moisturising, no complaints. It's in my rotation.

I've also heard that this was going to be discontinued, but the beauty shop where I buy my shaving stuff, just received it (Jan 26,2007), so hopefully it's just a nasty rumor.

Although I gave packaging a 10, the Proraso, comes in a metal tube and a cardboard box. Packaging doesn't influence my purchases one way or another. The crux of a review here at B&B do.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)