What's new

Proraso Pre/Post Cream

I use the Proraso Pre/Post Cream religiously as a pre-shave. I typically rub a small amount into my whiskers right after wetting my face and let it soak in and work its magic while I soak my brush and then mix up some lather. I find that my shaves are consistently much better when I use this as a pre-shave than when I use glycerin or nothing at all as a pre-shave.

I have grown to like the Vicks Vap-O-Rub scent, but I do find it tends to overwhelm or conflict with some more gently-scented shave creams.

I would never use it as a post-shave, though. That's what Proraso After Shave Balm is for.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I really like this stuff, the quality is outstanding (product and packaging) and to have it available at Target is a real bonus. I have only used it as a preshave and had very good luck with it. I will experiment more with it after shaving. I would definitely recommend trying it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I use this daily. I like it! Great sensation. I will try using as AS balm... I really like a moist feeling and have found Kiehls Ultimate to be the best so far.
Does anyone know a better moisturizer similar to Kiehls?
Best Regards,
Conejo Bubba
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I barely started trying this product and did not know you could use it as an aftershave balm.

I use it right out of the shower when my face is still wet. It goes a long way and you should massage it into your beard. It helps soften the beard and raise hairs.

The best part is the cold rinse. I'm still a victim of the Miller's Crossing/Good Morning Vietnam shaving advice and rinsed and shaved with cold water for about ten years. I now rinse with hot and do a last rinse with cold. That is when this product gives you that good sensation.

My only question is the menthol. On the "Art of Shaving" website is says not to use shaving creams or aftershaves that have menthol because it dries your skin. Any thoughts on this?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Yeah, the Proraso pre-post as a post shave cream is great ; put cold water on your shaven area, use a LITTLE dab, and wow! (plus, water is needed to dilute the product, because it's thick and you don't want to rub the cream hard right after shaving)

considering the price, quality and amount needed (should last a year), it's the best value as an aftershave cream
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I used this stuff this morning in its intended manner, along with Proraso green shaving cream and some after shave liquid cream for good measure. This was by far the "spiciest" product of the three, and applying it resulted in an immediate freezing sensation. I'm afraid I won't be able to use this during the winter months when the air temperature reaches into the high single digits, and that will be sad. The smell is somewhere between tiger balm and noxema, so if you MUST have proraso post shave somethingorother but hate this smell, try this product's milder, sweeter smelling, runnier cousin, the liquid cream aftershave balm.

I will use this product as a pre shave every day from now on, though. Whether that's superstition or not, the day I used it first I had one of the greatest shaves of my life. If you don't think it helped, at the very least, it didn't get in the way.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just like all of the other Proraso products, this is simply a great product at a great price. A containter of this stuff should last ages as you only need a very small amount. I only use this as a post-shave treatment, so can't comment on its efficacy as a pre-shave.

I like the scent, so that's not an issue and think that it has excellent cooling and moisturizing properties.

Good solid container that travels well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
If you know you tore yourself up shaving, this is the product you should reach for. Stops razorburn dead in its tracks. Fairly moisturizing as well. The scent does take some getting used to, but it's not too bad. I would liken it to Noxema. I find that the pre/post is especially effective when cut with Thayer's witch hazel. It also helps you gauge how well you shaved in that it cools more if you got a little carried away. Overall, an excellent product that I will continue to use without hesitation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Now that it's getting warmer, this item will see little use for quite a while. During the cold, dry months, it provides welcome relief and substantial moisturizing. A bit tricky to apply-- I find it goes on easiest on a fully wetted face-- but a jar should last years. The scent is barely tolerable, but it does a good job of soothing my ravaged neck.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pre/Post is absolutely fantastic (as a 'post'). It lasts forever, and it works like a charm. I thoroughly enjoy every aspect of it.

-Nick
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Unlike many other comments here, I *did* see an improvement in my shave with this as a pre-shave, albeit a modest one. It seems to work best if you haven't really, really hydrated your face well. If I don't take a shower before I shave, this does make a difference to me. However, as others have said, this product can really shine as a post-shave soother and moisturizer! Not as good as CAR Hydrolast Skin Conditioner, but its a heck of a lot cheaper! :blush:

--Mark
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I really like this stuff. I do think, however, that when used as a pre-shave treatment, it is best when used in conjunction with the other Proraso products. I can't put my finger on the exact added benefit, but I know I get a better overall shave with the Proraso cream when I use this product with it.

I can see how some guys may not be a big fan of the scent, and if this was the only cream that I could use, I would probably tire of it. I do find it to be a very nice change up to routine. After my initial 1-week evaluation of the product (using the Proraso products exclusively), I have continued to use it 2 or 3 times a week.

As I stated before, I really like this product. I will continue to purchase it and enjoy its use.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've had the green tube of Proraso Shaving Cream for about a year. I've had the A/S balm for about 2 months. This instantly became my favorite Proraso product. The scent needs improving, but it doesn't bother me, however I can see why it would bother others. I don't see a lot of benefit in using "pre" shave, but as a "post" application, this stuff kicks butt!

Randy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
After using this product only once, I would have to agree with Joel. I'm not sure it does much, if anything as a pre-shave cream, but it seems to have all of the qualities of a terrific A/S--its invigorating, smells great, is moisturizing as all get out, and leaves your face feeling nice and tingly, but no burn.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
P1010064.JPG

This is some very interesting stuff.... in that so many guys simply love it - yet so many feel it is somewhat useless - at least as a pre-shave. Well for some time I have been meaning to settle this (at least for me) so I went ahead and gave it a go.

It comes in a little box - very drab looking, and in all Itallian - that is somewhat useless and not all that nice looking - which I am sending straight to the circular file cabinet! Sure is a far cry from T&H and Trumper boxes!

Now some good news you Castle Forbes of yore lovers will adore.... the container is glass! Although it might not seem like a big deal - it sure ads a wonderfully regal experience to the morning routine to have a nice, hefty, manly glass jar. This sucker ain't light - and nor is the cream... that tiny little jar is 100ml and the glass is awful thick, but to me, a good thing.

P1010061.JPG

Once you twist off the sturdy plastic lid - you are immediatly greeted with a lovely "proraso soap/cream" scent - however this pre/post cream seems to be not as rough around the edges. Very invigorating scent, really wakes you up in the morning and has a lot of character.

As a pre shave -
Forget it gentlemen... it is just "ok." Not BAD - but did not make much of a difference with a straigbht razor, de or feather razor -however it DOES greet you with that "old friend" proraso cooling effect. I will not use this as a pre-shave again, as does effect the scent of your lathered soap/cream in a negative way.

As a post shave -
Works incredibly well. To be honest, the verdict is still out - but thus far it is right up there with my favorite 2 or so aftershave balm/creams. The one tricky thing about this cream however - is that like CAR's a/s balm, a little goes a looonngg way. Do not try to arbitratily apply this upon your dry face - as it will immediatly form an uncomfortable, thick, greasy layer on your face, and within a few hours you will be quite oily and uncomfortable. Instead throughly wet your face with some water (or better yet hydrosol, a/s splash etc) and then take just a tiny, tiny amount and rub it all over your wet face (including your nose and forehead) and you will be rewarded with a glorious chilling/cooling effect as the water evaporates and the proraso sinks into your skin. It will leave ya soft, smooth and moisturized all day long. Used in the method I have suggested should get you around 1 years (or more) use out of this incredibly reasonable $12 or so product. For the money this has immediatly hit the "best value" list for a facial moisturizer/aftershave balm.

Nice stuff in my book!
Top Bottom