What's new

Proraso Pre/Post Cream

I can't tell if it really helps as a pre-shave cream. I do know it works best with Proraso products and not very well with Trumper Coconut. I think its post shave value is minimal serving at best as a mild cooling moisturizer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
1) Pre-Shave
After having used it for about 4 weeks now, I can't really confirm its effectiveness on softening my beard. I usually apply it right after getting out of the shower so it can work in while I'm making my lather. Up till this point I get a soft beard with the right shaving soaps & creams & a tough beard with the wrong ones. The Proraso Pre Shave Cream has no impact on my shave.

2) After-Shave
The new jars don't mention the "after shave" any more, and I tried it once, and it felt really uncomfortable and hurt for a quite a while. I'm used to a short sting from aftershaves. I read somewhere in another forum that they changed the formula and that it's not suitable as an aftershave anymore.

I'm not biased against Proraso products, since I absolutely love the green shaving creme. I also believe that it works for some people, hence the positive reviews here, my suspicion is that it doesn't work well for tough beards.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
This is a wonderfull product from the Proraso company. I use this product mostly as a post shave product. When I had a bad shave I always know I can depend on the pre/post. It kills any burning sensation immediately, plus there's a nice cooling sensation added. The scent is also one of my favourites. I'm sure other people will think I'm crazy, but this scent reminds me why I switched to DE shaving. When I use this as a pre I use this before going in the shower. I like to think that the steam from the shower gives a little extra in opening the pores. I use this as a post shave because the Proraso Aftershave Balm in my opinion isn't worth the money, there are cheaper alternatives that work better. Bottom line if you have razor burn this product works best. To me as a pre it doesn't add anything to my routine.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I use it only as a pre-shave.
The ingredient list is more or less like their cream or soap, but probably in higher concentrations. Therefore, I guess the best way to describe this product is like a concentrated dose of Proraso shave soap / cream to get a head start in softening your beard before your first stroke of the blade.
As an aftershave, I find it too pasty. I prefer their balm or lotion as a much better alternative.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I recently received a jar of this fine preparation and I was worried that it was going to be a product I was never going to use. Off to the Shave Den, I opened up the jar.. Sniff. Smells a little like a vicks vapor rub. I read the directions.. Massage a little in and shave with your normal shave cream.. huh? Ok, so I massaged a pinch in and thought.. well it went on nice.. doesnt leave too much on your skin.. I grabbed some C&E Sienna and started whipping up lather.. When I pulled my DE across my face, I heard an evil hiss.. and a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this..

Anyways.. No tugging, no scraping.. I could barely tell the three day old blade had removed anything.. I felt my face. Oh MY.. was it smooth. !!!!

This Proraso creme melted the beard down!!! It was light enough that I didnt lose the Sienna smell, but I could feel the menthol for about an hour afterwards. I am a new fan. I am guessing that this product has been reformulated, so if you tried it in the past and hated it.. Maybe its time to try it again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I have to disagree with the first review, about this being no good as pre-shave, I personally use this as a pre-save regardless of any soap or cream I use with the exception of the aveno gell as that is pretty much a sel- lubing gel, I have used with the Wilkinson soap as well and its awesome, I have tried it as a post shave and would not use it that way, use the proraso balm or aftershave if you want to keep that proraso freshness going, but if you are are planning to use designer parfums (Ralph Lauren,Armani,Versace), dont use it as post shave unless you want to mask their smells with vicks vapo rub. I use it religiously and recommend it higly to anyone, even if the are not doing wet shaving and standard cartridges...the product is simply outstanding.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Perhaps it's the voodoo, but as a pre-shave, the results seem better for me. I usually put this on underneath a T&H "Ult.Comf." shaving cream. Every day, smooth and surprising. As I said, perhaps it's the voodoo, but not using this causes me problems.

After the shave, the aroma will dominate. It's subtle, yes, but it's omnipresent. It also endures. If you don't like the unique aroma of Proraso, don't use it as a post-shave cream!

I tend to use it only very lightly post-shave for exactly that reason. I don't want any interference with my cologne (Floris Santal), which has one job (smell great) and does it admirably without need of extra menthol. ;)

This is, most definitely, a "YMMV" pre-shave, but I'm totally hooked on it. Then again, I'm a superstitious man...

Toodlepip,

Hobbes
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
The Proraso pre/post seems to be such a popular item, and I just don't get it. :confused1

It just didn't do anything to enhance my shave, pre or post. (I should note here that pre-shave products in general don't do anything for me-so I'm a little biased. A shower and a nice lather applied to the beard is all you need, IMO.)

It does have the menthol cooling effect and the distinctive fragrance (ben gay?), but that's about it. Not for me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I really agree with the rest of you who have panned this as a PS. Honestly? I can't see very much difference is using this as a PS versus a post shave cream. The menthol aroma is pretty darn strong, but as a cooling agent, it works. This is a summer product to me. I'll often use it under Proraso's saving cream tube but can't tell much difference. Again, this really shines post shave. It's really
moisturizing. a tiny bit goes a long way. A small jar should last for a long time. This is what it is - an older product, but as eficacious as it was when I was first released.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Unlike several anterior posters I disagree with the notion that this product is better in a post rather than a pre shave application. I tried using this weekend both as a pre and post treatment within my shaving routine and will definitely continue to do so in a pre manner. The instant cooling sensation feels fantastic before lathering up! Great product all around winner.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Bought that product in Holland (Maastricht)
What is great about this product is that the cooling sensation is fantastic! But it takes a long time for my skin to absorb it. The scent is nothing special and I like the package. The guy in Maastricht also sell full range of proraso products:cool: and he said to me that Floïd will be available soon.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
OK, I bought the stuff on clearance at Target. I would've really been upset if I'd paid full price. To me it's Noxema face cream, end of story. Smells just as horrible, works exactly the same. It says to put it on before wetting the face, but I like a nice hot soapy washdown before applying shave soap, so using this stuff is bizarre. I never tried it as an A/S, because I have so many better ones and also mainly because I wouldn't want to leave the bathroom smelling like I'd bathed in Vick's Vapo Rub.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. Days that I use it as a pre-shave seem to be better days. I just wish they had different scents, as insane menthol doesn't go too well with some of my creams. That said, when i do use it, it makes for an excellent pre-shave. The menthol feeling is great - if you combine it with the proraso cream, when you rinse your face with cold water after the shave, it will be like diving into a glacier. Not so great for winter, but for summer, this stuff is amazing.

I've never used it as an aftershave - it seems way too heavy for that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I purchased this along with the green tubed shaving cream and it has transformed my shaving experience, so much so that after reading the reviews on this site I am going out tommorow to purchase the merkur HD to complement it. I have found a real benifit to using it pre-shave as well as post-shave!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
D
This is a pretty good pre-shave. And, I'm starting to believe Proraso is gearing the manufacture of it as more of a pre-shave, rather than a post product. I just bought a jar from Target about two weeks ago and it doesn't even mention the word post-shave at all in the text anymore.:confused:
The ability to soften your beard, moisturize, and the cooling sensation alone makes for a great pre-shave. However, I have my reservations about it as a "daily" post-shave product. I tend to use this as a post shave cream when I shave at night, have razor burn, or have pretty much have some extra time to devote to the shave process. The reason(s): It coats heavy and can leave a white residue, when applied liberally; and it has a menthol scent. Its seems more of a recovery solution, than a daily aftershave product. It feels really heavy on the skin; not in a skinfood sort of way, but in a non-dissolving, coating, healing sort of way. Even when I shave at night, when I wake up, I have to wash it off. It'll always be a staple for me, but I need something lighter for daily use.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is awesome stuff.

When used as a pre-shave i used a bit more than normal, it really helped with softening the skin/whiskers, the menthol smell was not really noticeable when i applied my regular shaving cream, but i have a sinus infection, so that might affect the scent for me.

The cooling sensation is GREAT, I have a feeling that i will love this in the summer.

When used as a post shave it is VERY moisturizing, after shaving even my hands are soft and supple, and again, the cooling affect if you rinse with cold water is amazing, i use this in conjunction with Thayers Superhazel (see review) and the cooling sensation is even increased from the peppermint in the superhazel.

Also, Proraso cream contains Camphor, which IMHO is a plus for the post shave since it cuts the pain a lot.

Its to bad that you cant get this at Target anymore, the only place now is ordering online, or if you're lucky enough to have a local store that carries it.

for $12.00 dollars online, this is a good buy, i almost like it better than the ASB
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
As an after shave product this is the best there is bar none. I would not shave without this product. A tub will last for absolutely ages so price wise it is unbeatable too. As a preshave I don't rate it but I wouldn't use it for that anyway. The only product I could ever say I wouldn't be without. The only caveat for using this product is if you react to, or don't like, menthol. Fortunately I am not in this category.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I've read all of the previous reviews of this product and went out to my local Target and purchased at their fire-sale price of $3.48. I have used it the past 2 days along with the Proraso shave cream. After looking at it's consistency (like Noxema cold cream) and reading the reviews I didn't try this as a pre-shave. However I have been using post-shave, and what a great cooling effect it has. I am a little confused as to why everyone says just use a little, I tried just a finger-full amount originally and could not get it to spread around my wet face. I needed at two or three finger-fulls to get enough for adequate coverage. Am I doing something wrong?

Noticing that it does leave a filmy layer once dry, I usually apply right after my WH, and then proceed to clean up and then re-rinse my face just to remove that filmy look. I follow-up woth the Proraso ASB (which is also great).

The cooling sensation lasts quite a while and makes my face feel great.

This is a must in the rotation.

- Jeff :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
As a newb I still suffer from razor burn to various degrees, especially on my neck. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING soothes and heals my neck as well as Proraso Pre/Post. I have yet to try their AS balm, but this cream is fantastic.

I have also been using it as a pre-shave with a hot towel when I have the time, but this stuff really comes into its own on a roughed up neck.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
the pre/post seems a little misunderstood to me.

first, it doesn't really have a scent, it has a smell. technically, it does have the parfum/fragrance, but mainly it smells the way it does because of what it has in it, because of its ingredients (mainly the menthol and eucalyptus-i think the eucalyptus is what is imitated slightly with the parfum). so, i don't find that it is to like or not like as a scent, really. that's just what's in it. it smells authentic.

and, anyway, for me, it's better than all those minty smelling shaving products that just remind me of toothpaste.

the other point is that it seems to me that the Proraso Pre/Post isn't really a preshave like a lot of others. It doesn't really even attempt to make your face slicker or more lubricated under your shaving soap/cream. about the only ingredient that could even be construed toward this end would be the glycerin, and glycerin doesn't always mean slippery. it's also in a lot of aftershave balms, for example (it moisturizes and does other things).

but it does (for me) prepare the face well and make the stubble easier to cut when applied to a damp to wet face and rubbed until all the way absorbed (re-wetting the face as soon as the water-pre/post mixture on the face is entirely absorbed into your skin). it also seems to take the edge off some razor burn and help it to heal faster.

the biggest difference the pre/post makes is when you haven't had time for a shower. of course, it makes it all the better if you for some reason have the time to take the shower, apply the pre/post and hold a hot towel over your face for a couple of minutes while it absorbs.

as a post-shave i like to use a little of it diluted in a little water (or water and a drop or two of PSO) and then sparingly use some of the Proraso Crema dopobarba. The combo of the eucalyptus from the pre/post (for healing) and the Soy from the Crema (for moisture) is great.

[must say that i do find the pre/post action of opening up the pores odd when the task after shaving is to close and tighten them.]
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)