What's new

Proraso Pre/Post Cream

Pros: Best preshave out there and reasonably priced.
Cons: Hard to find in large sizes.
I could be wrong, but in some of the previous reviews, the shavers who panned this as a pre-shave, also said that it lasts forever. That may be why they don't like it. I apply it liberally on my wet face immediately after stepping out of the shower. I rub it in like a face massage and let it sit while lathering up a brush. I apply lather right over the top of the proraso without wiping off any excess.This is what shaving is all about. It makes my face nearly cut-proof and is a luxurious experience. I have to order from overseas to get the big jars as I go through it pretty quickly. I use Neutrogena razor defense AS cream and finish by splashing on my favorite AS. Clubman or Old Spice used to feel like acid on my face until I started using the Proraso. Now it is pure luxury. Use it preshave and don't be stingy, it's cheap compared to a lot of stuff out there.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I only use this as pre, during shower and before shaving. Does a great job, am very happy with it. Never used it as post-shave, so no opinions here.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Ok, I'm new. so don't put too much faith in this review....but for me, this is a great pre-shave! I know the consensus is that it's useless, but I get much better shaves when I apply it before I shave. But I probably leave it on longer before shaving than most.

Here's the deal. I live in Japan, where fathers are in charge of bathing infants. So in the evening, I shower first, then call for the baby, and after bathing and handing off the baby, I shave. Lately I've been rubbing in the Proraso just before calling for the baby. So It's on my face for about 15-20 minutes....and it has made a huge difference. Have gotten near-BBS on the most swirly-patterned parts of my neck after starting to use it.

So for what it's worth, I love the stuff. But I probably leave it on quite a bit longer than most.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I haven't actually bought this product but I had a shave at the barbers and the man used this cream. He patted my face dry, applied an aftershave splash and then followed with the Proraso pre/post cream which is rich in EOs and glycerin. I like this stuff.

It gave me the idea of using a splash and then following with a face cream. I use Simple or Skinfood light moisturiser which is rich in Aloe Vera and glycerin. It locks the goodness of the slash in and keep you hydrated all day.
This is good because you can hydrate your nose and forehead too, whereas I dont think you can do this with an aftershave balm.
I tried this as a pre-shave and it did help to soften the stubble during prep for the shave and gave that warm tingle. I am not a big menthol fan so this product really isn't for me, but I can see how menthol fans would like it. As others have mentioned a little goes a long way.
I have become a daily user of this product for post-shave and really like it. It cools the skin, calms razor burn (wet shaving rookie) and provides long-lasting moisturization. The scent is medicinal, which feels appropriate given that I am usually bleeding afterwards. Seriously though, the smell of this product is very tolerable and I look forward to using it each day. I use it as a pre-shave if I haven't had a shower and can't say whether it helps or not.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
bought some of this yesterday and man is it great. I've been looking for a great aftershave and this is it. It immediately cools your face and leaved it soft without any dryness. This stuff is pure magic.

useless as a preshave, but post is great. Two thumbs up. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
D
I've been using this as a pre - shave and didnt think to use it as a/s. No irritation , Helps soften the beard very well . And it will last the better part of the year if you shave every 2nd day like myself. :001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I'd rate it 9 or 10 in every category.

I've used it every day for the past three years ~ with the exception of a few holidays ~ and it is the one Proraso product I won't be without.

I second those who say it makes a very healing post-shave treatment, too.
Once an old italian barber told me that the key for the perfect shave is preparation.
This has also been confirmed by the best Master Barbers from T&H and Trumpers.
So, in addiction to piping hot water during the entire shaving process, a good pre-shave treatment is requested.
Some people like to use pre-shave oils or balms, I do like using this powerful pre-shave cream.
When applied to a worm and wet face it immediately gives a sensation of freshness, then it softhens the whiskers and protects the skin.
In other words it allows to have a much better shave and this can be noticed from the very first time you try it.
I always use Proraso cream as a pre-shave treatment, whatever shaving cream I decide to apply.
Sometimes I also use it as a post-shave, since it's also good for this purpose.
Try it, it's the trick of many old, experienced barbers for reaching an excellent shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Price: For what it is, you are getting a deal.
Scent: Same as the creams and soaps...I don't love it but I don't hate it either.
Latherability: NA
Efficacy: Speads very nicely. Don't need much.
Moisturizing: Helps a lot with razor burn.
Packaging: Nice little glass jar.
I am big fan of the whole Proraso line of products. It isn't the most inexpensive product out there given the volume, but a little goes a long way and a jar of cream should last a very long time.

Pre shave - I think it adds a little more slickness to my shave if I apply a liberal (liberal for this cream is still a small amount) amount on my wet face just before adding the lather. I do find it clogs up the razor on the first pass, but a little extra rinse takes care of that.

Post shave - As has been stated already, I find it has greater value as a post shave treatment, specifically when I get razor burn. Again having a very wet face helps the application and lubrication of the cream. I just let sit for several minutes to get that great cooling sensation.

I think it's something that I will always want to have on hand for treating burns, but there are other products that I might use more frequently as an aftershave (Proraso Splash, Proraso Liquid Cream, to name a couple).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This was my first pre/post product and I loved the scent immediately; it reeks of traditional barber shop shaving.

Not that much to add to what has gone before, but this stuff is still around because it's that good, and it's cheap.

I don't have anything else to compare it with as a pre shave, but a dash of water and a slather of this certainly feel slick, pre lathering.

If I get a touch of irritation post shave, this is what I use too. Sometimes with a dash of water, sometimes not, to get an extra menthol cooling.

I'm sure I'll try other things, but this will remain a must have in my cabinet.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I find it too thick to use as an aftershave (Musgo Balsam is my go-to). But as a pre-shave, it's fantastic.
I've tried this product for the both possible actions:

- as a pre-shave : I must admit that I did not notice any strong improvement of my shave by using this product. I always shave after a shower and I found that the only good preparation for the beard is the shower (hot water, soap and soft scrub). Any additionnal product does not change anything. So even, if the cooling effect and the scent are pleasant, the real purpose of easing the shave is not reached for me.

- as an after shave : this cream has a strong cooling effect on the razor burns and irritations spots. For that matter, it works very well. Unfornately, it leaves on my skin a greasy thin layer that remains all day. I usually splash cold water on my face after applying this cream to eliminate the extra cream but the greasy effect comes back a few hours later.

Finally, this cream contains all derivatives of paraben that exist.

In conclusion, I probably won't buy this product again as the pre-shave action is not useful to me and as an aftershave, even if the product acts very well on burns and irritation, I don't like the greasy effect.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This really is great stuff. No matter how badly you screw up your shave (I know as I did it often to begin with) this stuff eliminates the razor burn and irritation almost instantly. No other ASB or aftershave, even the witch hazel ones can do this!

Its a great product, its only drawback is that it smells of just menthol. At the same time the menthol smell is not overpowering and soon disappears. You don't even notice this because when its all absorbed you can just use your favorite cologne, and this will be the only thing you smell.

Overall, I'd say this is a must-have purchase for any wet shaver.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
D
I can't say I've tried many aftershaves but it seems like even the ones that say no alcohol and won't burn always do. This stuff actually works and has that amazing cooling sensation, I never thought I'd actually look forward to putting on aftershave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
haven't used this product as a preshave, but as an aftershave,

-intense cooling effect, which i like

-seemed to put out some razor burn

-completely dried out my face

will try as a pre-shave; unlikely ever to use it as an aftershave again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Great stuff used pre or post shave, a little goes a long way so a tub of this should last for ages. Probably better used with a cream/soap with menthol in it as the scent is quiet strong & would take from say a rose or sandlewood scent. I usually use it with proraso cream or soap, just love that menthol blast!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price:

Around 7€ in Germany, lasts longer than most other balms and is equally as efficient.

Quality:

I think it is hard to judge the quality of creams in 10 figures, so I gave it a 10.

Fights Razor Burn:

I think the best way to fight skin irritations is prophylaxis (get your technique right, find the products that suit your skin best) and to use less cosmetics. I would not put anything on irritated skin, instead I would let it recover. That is why I will not judge this product in this category.

Cooling Sensation:

While it may be overpowering at first, this stuff is absolutely wonderful when you are used to it. Actually you will be looking forward to it.

Scent:

Smells like the stuff my mom rubbed on my chest when I had a cold. It can sting in your eyes.

Efficacy:

A tiny amount goes a long way. Maybe one of the most efficient products out there.

Moisturizing:

It gives my skin the exact amount of moisture it needs without overloading it.

No Alcohol Burn:

It contains no alcohol.

Final comment:

A very good product at a very reasonable price. I would use it as an after shave balm only, because I generally disagree with the usefulness of pre shaves and could not experience any benefits from applying this one before shaving either.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)