What's new

Proraso Pre/Post Cream

Item Description

P1010064.JPG

This is some very interesting stuff.... in that so many guys simply love it - yet so many feel it is somewhat useless - at least as a pre-shave. Well for some time I have been meaning to settle this (at least for me) so I went ahead and gave it a go.

It comes in a little box - very drab looking, and in all Itallian - that is somewhat useless and not all that nice looking - which I am sending straight to the circular file cabinet! Sure is a far cry from T&H and Trumper boxes!

Now some good news you Castle Forbes of yore lovers will adore.... the container is glass! Although it might not seem like a big deal - it sure ads a wonderfully regal experience to the morning routine to have a nice, hefty, manly glass jar. This sucker ain't light - and nor is the cream... that tiny little jar is 100ml and the glass is awful thick, but to me, a good thing.

P1010061.JPG

Once you twist off the sturdy plastic lid - you are immediatly greeted with a lovely "proraso soap/cream" scent - however this pre/post cream seems to be not as rough around the edges. Very invigorating scent, really wakes you up in the morning and has a lot of character.

As a pre shave -
Forget it gentlemen... it is just "ok." Not BAD - but did not make much of a difference with a straigbht razor, de or feather razor -however it DOES greet you with that "old friend" proraso cooling effect. I will not use this as a pre-shave again, as does effect the scent of your lathered soap/cream in a negative way.

As a post shave -
Works incredibly well. To be honest, the verdict is still out - but thus far it is right up there with my favorite 2 or so aftershave balm/creams. The one tricky thing about this cream however - is that like CAR's a/s balm, a little goes a looonngg way. Do not try to arbitratily apply this upon your dry face - as it will immediatly form an uncomfortable, thick, greasy layer on your face, and within a few hours you will be quite oily and uncomfortable. Instead throughly wet your face with some water (or better yet hydrosol, a/s splash etc) and then take just a tiny, tiny amount and rub it all over your wet face (including your nose and forehead) and you will be rewarded with a glorious chilling/cooling effect as the water evaporates and the proraso sinks into your skin. It will leave ya soft, smooth and moisturized all day long. Used in the method I have suggested should get you around 1 years (or more) use out of this incredibly reasonable $12 or so product. For the money this has immediatly hit the "best value" list for a facial moisturizer/aftershave balm.

Nice stuff in my book!

Latest reviews

Pros: Best preshave out there and reasonably priced.
Cons: Hard to find in large sizes.
I could be wrong, but in some of the previous reviews, the shavers who panned this as a pre-shave, also said that it lasts forever. That may be why they don't like it. I apply it liberally on my wet face immediately after stepping out of the shower. I rub it in like a face massage and let it sit while lathering up a brush. I apply lather right over the top of the proraso without wiping off any excess.This is what shaving is all about. It makes my face nearly cut-proof and is a luxurious experience. I have to order from overseas to get the big jars as I go through it pretty quickly. I use Neutrogena razor defense AS cream and finish by splashing on my favorite AS. Clubman or Old Spice used to feel like acid on my face until I started using the Proraso. Now it is pure luxury. Use it preshave and don't be stingy, it's cheap compared to a lot of stuff out there.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I only use this as pre, during shower and before shaving. Does a great job, am very happy with it. Never used it as post-shave, so no opinions here.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Ok, I'm new. so don't put too much faith in this review....but for me, this is a great pre-shave! I know the consensus is that it's useless, but I get much better shaves when I apply it before I shave. But I probably leave it on longer before shaving than most.

Here's the deal. I live in Japan, where fathers are in charge of bathing infants. So in the evening, I shower first, then call for the baby, and after bathing and handing off the baby, I shave. Lately I've been rubbing in the Proraso just before calling for the baby. So It's on my face for about 15-20 minutes....and it has made a huge difference. Have gotten near-BBS on the most swirly-patterned parts of my neck after starting to use it.

So for what it's worth, I love the stuff. But I probably leave it on quite a bit longer than most.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)