What's new

Proraso Pre & Post Cream

Pros: Scent, Menthol Cooling, Longevity, Beard Softening
Cons: None
Well, if you're on B&B you know Proraso and their many fine products. Whether you're new to the game, an old hand, whatever- this is the brand you've come to know and at least respect, if not love.

If you like Proraso's other products, this will be no different. I've been wet shaving most of my life and DE shaving for almost two years, and this has taken my experience the unequivocal and inspired Next Level.

Method: YMMV, but I'm a huge believer in the pre-shave shower and wash, and right before I get out I put the Proraso on. I let the steam kinda keep my pores open and the Proraso goes to work! The nice thing about this stuff is that unlike many of our beloved oils, scents, creams, etc. this stuff doesn't even think about clogging your pores. I think it's an ancient mystic Italian magic.

Anyway, I have gotten best results when if I leave it on during my mug lathering then rinse off before my face lather. When I left it on my face during face lather the menthol just dried me out too much- though to be fair I was also using PR green shave cream, too, so that may be why. That double-stacked menthol may have just been too much for my little sissy face. If you have sensitive skin I would recommend getting this stuff off with super hot water just before you apply your lather to your face.

Otherwise, I haven't needed it for a post shave because I typically prefer an alum block touch-up followed by a heavy dose of PR White A/S for moisturizing. I know there are guys who do like it for an post-shave treatment too, I just didn't feel like it helped much the one time I tried it.

I didn't rate the scent a 10 because when I smell it on my face I get a whiff of medicinal, almost hospital ward scent, which I don't particularly care for. That said, the overall scent characteristics remind you of clean, fresh, classic Proraso hygiene.

All told, you will be hard pressed to get me to say anything pejorative about this product. This will be in my rotation for a very VERY long time.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothing qualities
I have used this as both a pre-shave and post-shave applications.

It offers good protection as a pre-shave cream.

As a post-shave cream, it is very soothing and healing.

When you first apply it, there is a very strong eucalyptus/menthol scent. This quickly dissipates.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Pros: works
Cons: smells like mosquito repellent
Price is pretty much the same as the Edwin Jagger Hydrating Pre-Shave Lotion, which I normally swear by. Efficacy is comparable too and it's just as good for applying lather directly on top of it. It has the standard Proraso green soap scent, which I suppose some people like, but I find it to be a bit overpowering and unpleasant in combination with non-Proraso soaps. Other than that, it produces a pretty comfortable shave.

My biggest gripe is that it is rather hard for a lotion, which makes it difficult to spread out evenly unless you're in front of a mirror. The packaging is rather irksome too as the lid tends to "stick" and provides no grip if your hands are wet, so it's generally difficult to apply in the shower. Not that I'm overly fond of having glass containers in the shower in case they get dropped...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Pros: scent quality quantity menthol cooling effect price
Cons: parabens
Proraso Pre & Post Cream
(Or Crema Pre E Dopo Barba).
You can discuss it here.

Product:
I've bought the 500ml (!) tub, since I have used their shaving cream and AS lotion in the past. They are of such a quality that I knew there whole line up would be good. The gamble paid off. (A regular tub is 150ml.)
I bought it from this Dutch online store that sells (mostly Italian) barbershop products.
It's called Barbiere di Figaro and they have good stuff (quality stuff). Good prices too. And the fastest response to a email I have ever had. Customer service is really good. They also have things like 1kg soft Cella, for the people that are interested, and ship worldwide.
I paid €14,95 for 500ml, that's about $ 20,00.

Usage:
The first time I've tried it was with Kyle's prep. I let it get into my skin for a good 3 minutes. Noticed the strong menthol and eucalyptus scent right away. Strong. Stronger then everything from Proraso I've tried so far. El-a-Menthol likes the menthol in Proraso, but if you don't, then you will NOT like this one. It's so strong that when I rubbed close to my eyes (made a Christmas beard out of it where I expected lather to be) my eyes started to water up (tears weren't flowing but it did irritate my eyes a little and not in a burning kinda way but more in a blink-a-lot kinda way.) You don't need a lot. Really.
Especially as a post shaving cream I wouldn't recommend to use more then half a pea size, I use about a quarter pea size. As a pre- shave cream you can use a fair amount.

Result:
You can read the result of my post in that thread, it was the best shave I had so far.
It really made the difference. It had softened up my whiskers, made the skin elastic and moistened and even provided with somewhat of a protective layer, though thin.
When (small amounts are) rubbed into the skin it get's quickly absorbed.
It is not oily or sticky. When used a lot post- shave it will leave some residue.
So, use a fair amount pre shave and a small amount post shave (maybe mixed with Proraso AS balm).
This stuff rocks!
If you like Proraso? Get it!
If you take your prep serious? Get it!
If you like menthol? Get it!
If you got sensitive skin? Get the one with green tea!

VERDICT
Price: 10
(€14,95 for 500ml? there are skins creams that go for €30 for a tiny 50ml tub)

Quality: 10! UPDATED!
(now paraben free, Proraso listens to customers!)

Scent: 8
(you love it, hate it, it's personal, it's subjective, YMMV, etc etc)

Efficacy: 10
(this stuff really works, which is the most important factor)

Packaging: 8 For the big plastic tub, however I give the small glass bowls a 9.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)