What's new

Proraso Green Tea and Aloe soap

Pros: Moisturizing, Scent, Lather
Cons: Amount of Product Needed (Maybe Brush)
WOW! I've been wetshaving for about 4-5 years now (since I was 14-15) and De shaving for about 2-2.5 now.

Out of all the products I have tried (TOBS Rose, Col Conk bay rum, Williams, Trumpers Almond, Wilk Sword Soap, Old Spice Cream, Arko Stick, Proraso Green Tube)

This just gave me the closest, smoothest, nick-free shave I've ever gotten. It's a shame my boar brushes aren't completely broken in yet and I had to resort to my Vulfix Pure Badger to get the lather in but this product is amazing.

I thought for the winter months the proraso green tub may be too much, so I went and bought this today after my green tube ran out.

I almost picked up the green, but wow am I glad I didn't!

I may post another review after I get properly broken in brushes as my silvertip is too soft and uses too much product/is a *** (Frank Shaving) and the pure badger is too scratchy and irritates my skin.

Only con I have is that I dont like how you have to pull the tops off the plastic tubs as this can be hard with wet fingers and when you have short nails. I guess you should just do that before you get wet?

edit - I have to add, just sitting here as I stroke my finger ATG along my cheek I feel the slight menthol tinge cooling my skin in a good way. I didn't get perfect bbs everywhere but this is damn close and I know with a little bit more I'll get it. Where I get bbs, I have better skin than I ever have had in my life.

And final note (this is long winded I know) the only reason I didn't get bbs everywhere is because I missed a few spots and didn't want to keep rubbing my pure badger there. Otherwise I would have gotten my first ever complete BBS Shave!

OMG. Lol, I have tabac sitting in my room but I've found my saving soap (no typo) ;)

BUY THIS!

Re-post from creams. People have to get this, it beats out everyhting including green Imo which would be too harsh for my skin atm. (Been shaving everyday instead of skipping and I was feeling it, until I got this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
for the price is good 8/10
overall just avarage 5/10
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to lather, smells great, skin feels cool and fresh during and after shave.
Cons: No idea.
First lather I have tried. I have to say that compared to regular shaving cream, this is like gold lol. It does an AMAZING job at lathering, feels great on the skin the whole time you use it. When a product is this great you don't need massive explanations as to why. Take my word for it, if you're at Shoppers Drug Mart and see this there, it's not garbage, you'll enjoy using it :).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Suprisingly creamy and it's easy to build a lather!
Cons: Snap-on lid; not great for traveling.
This is more like a cross between a soap and a cream. Its texture is similar to Noxzema. It lathers beautifully on the face or in a bowl. It does a great job protecting the face. This will stay in my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to work with, easy to find
Cons: Lots of SLS
Price: This is not the cheapest item down under, I think it's much cheaper elsewhere but considering what's available in the importation, it's not too bad
Quality: Product is ok on this note. The ingredient list could be better. I would place that product as average/common
Scent: Some kind of a green scent, there's menthol but probably less than half compared to the green tub.
Lather: Lather works well thanks to all the SLS.
Efficacy: It will get you there, that's for sure.
Moisturizing: No issues on this one either...

Ingredient list: Aqua (water), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera(Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Parfum(Fragrance), Aloe Barbadensis Gel (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice), Camellia sinensis Leaf Extract, PEG-150 Distearate, Menthol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Triclosan, Boric Acid, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Pentaerythrytyl Tera-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Etridronic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Borate

After all this, yes, I would still recommend this product. I have no doubt there are better product with a better ingredient list out there. I would recommend this product for the availability and the easy to use factor. Would I buy it again myself? Probably yes, it's good in the summer. However, I won't be rushing to get my next tub as there are so many products to try!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Economical, lathers well, moisturizing
Cons: Smells like pumpkin
Why did I have to read the review that claims that this product smells like pumpkin guts?!?

While this soap lathers well (I find it face lathers better than it bowl lathers), and provides an excellent smooth shave, I am having a hard time getting passed the smell. If I hadn't have read the aforementioned review I would probably just think that the soap had a "clean" smell.

All that aside this soap is great, it loads well on the brush relatively quickly, I think I would have been better off with the green tub.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Low price, scent, latherability.
Not very different to the 'green' Proraso, perhaps the scent is less intense. A medium quality product overall, nothing extraordinary in my humble opinion.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
I love it. I bought a tub for about a fiver online. When my face needs to TLC, I reach for the Proraso White Tub. It's smooth, soft, ever so slightly 'mentholy' on your face, but just enough to give you a gentle lift in the morning.

It is extremely moisturising and is one of the few soaps/creams that I don't use a balm with.

Only 'low' point on my scoring was the scent, not because it's offensive (it's herbal, but pleasant) but because it is very subtle.

Overall, awesome soap. Buy if you can!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Another consistently good product from Proraso. This is a bit of an odd "soap", because it feels more like a semi-solid cream or a whipped soap rather than one or the other.

However, from a lather standpoint, it makes it very easy to load a brush effectively. It also lathers well - as well or better than regular Proraso Green cream - and is forgiving with the water/soap ratio. The lather isn't as dense as the luxury creams/soaps, but it's effective and glides well. There's a touch of menthol there (though not nearly as much as the regular product), and it provides a slight moisturizing effect.

The scent is mainly citronellol and geraniol (lemongrass) aromas, with a bit of herbal greenness from green tea extract. So, it's kinda fresh and herbal, but unobtrusive. It doesn't hang around to compete with aftershaves or colognes. I find it goes quite well with Alt Innsbruck, Ogallala Sage & Cedar, and vetiver/woody colognes.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I find this to be a very pleasant product. I, however, cannot get pumpkin guts from this one. Perhaps a hapless worker at the Proraso shave works had an unfortunate intestinal incident while stirring a batch of this product after sampling his mother-in-law's famous pumpkin flambe suprise.

For me, this is a very affordable, available and wonderful product. The scent is light, refershing and crisp, the soap is soft, wonderfully malleable stuff like Cella, and even comes all artfully swirled in the tub. Lathers very well, nice on the face, and leaves my visage soft and smooth.

I'll keep this one in the rota, no question.

Chris
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This soft soap (between a cream and a hard soap) lathers up nearly instantly and makes for some great protective lather. In terms of feel and lather its remarkably close to The Shave Den Shaving Cream With Wheat (one of my favorite cream products). However, I am not a big fan of the scent. Its not an overpowering scent or a bad one. I dont think citrus is exactly the word for it, but it has that Italian citrus quality. It is just not for me. The menthol level is just about right in my book. Its a nice chill with out being offensive.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This soap is great, it's Proraso, it's quality.
The scent is a bit weird but pleasant, it does smell aloe and tea.
I would say it moisturize a bit more than the green version but the lather of both are equal.
My verdict: a good soap for winter days or if you have very sensitive skin.
But i still prefer the green one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Price - Inexpensive. There are cheaper soaps, but I don't think they compare. There are soaps that last longer (triple milled pucks) and they may equal or better Proraso in cost per shave. I probably overload the brush. I like lots of lather. I don't mind shelling out $8/tub.

Quality - For what it is, to me it is high quality. I like a few other soaps, but none better.

Scent - Nice, but not exotic. Pleasant and traditional. If Proraso offered this with a strong vetiver scent (like the Salter cream) I would never buy anything else.

Lather - In the scuttle it billows like a thunderhead on the plains. Thick, rich, it cushions with the best, never dries out, never thins, holds up in the scuttle and on the face.

Efficacy - Works like a charm as a good soap should, what can I say.

Moisturizing - Leaves my face in great shape.

I have a other soaps and creams that I use, but this has always been my go to soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
A very nice soft soap. Refreshing and easy to lather. I particularly do not like the parabens contained in its ingredients, but you cannot have everything in this life. A trustworthy Italian product, part of my standard rotation.

Recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Got a new tub in a trade a few days ago. I was a little less than enthusiastic about this prior to trying it. Boy was I stupid to be so pessimistic about this soap. Like most Proraso products, it's top notch and low budget. The smell is wonderful (no pumpkins here). Soft, smooth, subtle, refined, delightful, all words that come to mind when using this "soap". In quotes because it's one of those hard creams/soaps, ala cella, ala Sta. Maria Novella.

I think it was a little dry when I received it, as the soap was a little finicky with the water/soap ratio. But when I got the consistency to where I wanted it, the soap performed fantastically. Protective, smooth, very moisturizing. It has it all. Plus a wonderful, less obvious scent compared to its green-tubed brother. I highly recommend it, for newbies and veterans. It reminds me to some extent of MWF, however, I still place that marvelous soap a little bit ahead in terms of overall performance (although not scent).

The smell, like the regular Proraso cream, evokes white tile walls, thick fluffy white towels, cool tile floors, and marble countertops. Just the perfect counterpart to a hot summer's day, but also very moisturizing for a cold winter day too.

I have found yet another soap that needs to be in my den, forever. :blushing:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I used to be a fan of Proraso's mainstay product in the green tub but after trying the Aloe and Green Tea, it got exiled to under the sink.

The Aloe and Green Tea soap smells like a fresh greenhouse, I like the scent a lot more than the regular Mentholated and Eucalyptus offering which is more, um, Vick's Vapo Rub to me.

I usually don't post reviews after one shave but using my Merkur 15c with a Derby Blade, I got a BBS shave that Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat delivers. Now I don't have particularly sensitive skin, I find this soap first rate in my books.

I can see my soap rotation shrinking to Proraso's Aloe and Green Tea and Kent/MWF. It's going to be tough finishing off the rest of my line up.
So I've had this soap sitting in one of the lower drawers of my shaving cabinent for over two years. I remember opening the tub when I first got it, sniffed it appreciatively, and for some reason never tried it. Now mind you, I definitely consider myself a cream man; I've never been that happy with any of my soaps (MWF included!).

For some reason, I've been pulling on a kick the past two weeks of using things that have either not been in my rotation for a very long time, or even worse things I've never used. I saw this tub and decided "why not?" on a very warm Memorial Day.

I can't comment much on the scent -- since it got warm, I've been using Proraso pre/post to start the day with a nice freezy face feeling. The pre/post most definitely overrode the less aggressive scent of green tea and aloe, so I can't give the scent an honest rating. But boy does this stuff lather! I soaked my brush and lathered it up directly on the cake, then onto my face. Like other soaps, I don't get the same thick, creamy lather that I'm accustomed to with creams but it was still very satisfying.

I used my HD with a Feather blade (on it's 4th or 5th day) and the razor slid over a two day growth without any pulling or skipping. However, I did find the lather dried fairly quickly, and I found myself relathering on the cake and using more water than I would with a cream to rebuild lather for the 2nd and 3rd passes.

Followed up with a cold rinse and Proraso aftershave (notice the trend here?) for a little extra freezy-face. An hour later, my face feels very smooth with only a hint of dryness that I attribute to not having yet used any lotion on my typically very dry skin.

Final verdict: Great soap! I'll add this in to my regular rotation.
I really wanted to jump on this very reasonably priced and accessible soap. Unfortunately I read on the ingredient list that it had an ample amount of "Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate" which is a cheap ingredient used to create foam and strip away dirt. Unfortunately I'm quite sensitive to this stuff and have recently cleared my bathroom of face washes and shampoos which contain this harmful ingredient. (I actually grew more head hair as a result) I expected the Proraso sensitive skin line to be without SLS, but was disappointed to find this stuff in there too. Why is it used? As I've said the ingredient is inexpensive for the manufacturer, just like how alcohol is a cheap way of killing germs and bacteria.
Trusty reliable proraso for those don't like the face numbing virtues of the traditional green tube. It is still cooling only not as much and has a much less aggressive menthol smell.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I am a newbie to wet shaving, starting off with Proraso pre-shave and then Green Tea & Aloe soap (using a Merkur Slant Bar with Feathers for the actual shave) - I really like this soap, been giving myself BBS shaves. Only issue is that I can't seem to get a good lather going with my brush due to the softness of the soap. Instead, I simply rub it onto my face by hand, small vigorous circular motions, until it gets good and frothy. I am looking forward to trying other soaps (looking at Cella next), but the bar is already set pretty high, I think. Can't go wrong with Proraso :thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)