What's new

Progress Vulfix Shaving Scuttle

I have been using this product for about a month and have truly enjoyed it. My hot water from the tap is quite hot so I find no need to boil water before use. I fill with hot water and soak my brush while I shower. I then put fresh hot water in and use the top as a brush rest between passes. It does keep my brush warm between passes for the duration of my shave and as the father of small children I don't have to worry about it getting broken. I am also confident it will last a very long time and make a nice heirloom bit of shaving kit for my own son one day as is is sturdily built and has a nice heavy bottom. BTW I used it for a while with a puck of soap on top as it was designed and it worked admirably however I prefer to use it as I have previously described.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
In my quest for a decent scuttle, any pottery-based contraption was not an option: For some reason, all my previous pottery-based shaving mugs and bowls were smashed to pieces. Hence, decided to get an old Victorian scutter made by Vulfix. [Thought: They make decent brushes, so they must know a thing or two about shaving.]

The product is marvelous. I pour boiling water in it and let it sit while I am whipping lather in a separate bowl. Then I just put my brush, full of leather, on top of the scuttle, bristles down, while I am softening my beard with a hot towel. If you whip good, thick lather and your brush has a relatively heavy handle, it will stand vertical on top of the scuttle. The steam from the scuttle will make the lather moist and heavy. And hot!

The scuttle will remain sufficiently hot for at least 15 minutes, more than enough to get a solid BBS with three passes.

The product isn't cheap, so I gave it 5* for the price.

P.S. Special thanks to ClassicShaving.com for great service!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)