What's new

Pré de Provence After-Shave Balm

Item Description

My favorite, I can't believe nobody has reviewed it yet. Produced in the Provence (Southern France), enriched with shae butter.

Price: Around $14, mid-price section, justified.

Quality: Top quality, dries up quickly.

Fights Razor Burn: It doesn't even burn when I apply it, which makes it my no. 1 choice after a rougher shave (e.g. old or low quality blade). Maybe the shae butter has something to do with it.

Cooling Sensation: not really, but I'm not looking for one.

Scent: I think it's great, I tried to place it & I would say that it goes into the sage direction. My wife says it's soapy & it's not her favorite. That's why it's also my no. 1 choice when I want to wind down after a nice shave & go to sleep fast :tongue_sm

Efficacy: Very effective, it soothes & moisturizes without burning, basically it does exactly what I expect from an ASB.

Moisturizing: Great moisturizing capabilities, I usually apply it to most of my face.

No Alcohol Burn: It doesn't contain alcohol, and it's probably the ASB with the least burning sensation that I've tried so far (e.g. Art of Shaving, C&E Nomad, Nivea, Brut).

Try it & let me know what you think.

Latest reviews

Pros: Soothing, milky texture, great scent, nice value.
Cons: None
Based on good reviews I had been waiting to buy a tube of this and finally did at Pasteur/NYC-- even though I already have several different ASBs to finish. Very pleased with my purchase!

I would put this ASB on the level of L'Occitane Cade ASB which is about twice the price for 1/3 of the portion. The milky, shea butter texture felt great on my face and moisturized nicely. The scent was an unexpected pleasure. Best of all, the price is right.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Love the smell, moisturizes but not greasy
Cons: Bit on the expensive side but you don't need much
Let me get out my disclaimer, I'm a newbie and the PdP is part of my starter kit. So my point of reference is limited but I do like this stuff. Even use it on days when I don't shave.

Had some nasty razor burn with my last shave but did get it BBS. PdP helped the burn which eventually went away after a few hours. I suspect there are better products out there to deal with the burn though. I shave at night and my skin still felt moist when I woke up. Not greasy but my skin felt really smooth.

I grabbed some Nivea and Pinaud on the way home from work. Combined they cost as much as the PdP so that's my reference point. So we'll see how the Nivea handles the close shaves.

I recommend this product and am eager to try their other products. Its in the mid-price spectrum for an AS so give it a try.

Update: Got some samples; Fine and Trumper. Love the Fine products smells Fresh Vetiver and American Blend. Also, bought Speick Balsam. Speick is a real close second to PdP neck and neck (pun intended). So to date PdP is still my #1, but I would buy more Speick too.

After using PdP many times, and a bunch of sample comparisons since my first review, I'm increasing my review upward. I really like this stuff.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Wonderful Scent, Moisturizing, Non-Greasy,
Cons: Doesn't Fight Razor Burn
Like all PdP products, the quality is excellent. It's only a few dollars more than Proraso balm, and in my opinion it's a better quality product.
The scent is similar to the shave soap (also excellent), which I can only describe as smelling very clean and crisp. I wouldn't describe it as floral. Think sage and rosemary with heavy overtones of french soap. The scent fades within about 2 hours.
It doesn't fight razor burn (at least for me), but it is soothing. That is, it will help razor burn to feel better due to the heavy moisturizing, but it doesn't reduce redness, and it has no cooling effect.
This balm pairs great with menthol or lime products. I absolutely love it with the Ogallala Sage/Cedar lineup. Recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)