What's new

Portland General Store's Man in the Mountain AS Splash

I found this aftershave while browsing on etsy.com. It was the only item I found that really interested me so I thought, why not give it a whirl.

At $10/bottle I've grown to really like this stuff. It's completely non-greasy (great for summertime!) and has a nice, light scent that's kind of a cross between almond & sandalwood and dissipates pretty quickly. The liquid sinks in immediately and doesn't leave my skin tacky or shiny, no matter how much I use. (Oh, and speaking of that -- the bottle's opening is kind of wide. You'll need to do the ol' "thumb over the opening" trick to control the amount of liquid you pour out.) In fact, it actually seems to reduce any sort of excessive moisture in your skin. Those of you with a tendency towards oily complexions might do very well with this product.

My first thought upon opening the bottle & sticking my schnoz in was whoa, almond! but now the scent kinda sorta reminds me of ... ginger ale. Maybe I'm nuts but what can I tell you. A very light, very gentle, very mild ginger ale. I like the smell. A lot.

Package-wise, as you can see from the pic it comes in a plain brown glass bottle. The label is kind of cool -- they're obviously going for that old-timey look -- but the ink smears upon contact with moisture. So watch out when you pick it up -- my label has become all but unreadable.

Here's a list of ingredients taken from their website:

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Leaf Juice, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Phenoxyethanol, Salix nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Menthol, Polysorbate, Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil, Sandalwood Essential Oil, Cedarwood Essential Oil, Bergamot Essential Oil, Almond Oil, Propylene Glycol, Methyparaben Propylparaben,Tetrasodium Edta, Citric Acid

My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that even though menthol is on the list of ingredients I get hardly any cooling sensation at all from this stuff (thus my "3" rating for cooling). There's no alcohol in the mixture so I've left the "no alcohol burn" rating at zero.

Overall, I'd have to say that this is a well-made product from a small company. It's not top-notch but certainly more than serviceable. The price is reasonable, it smells good and it works. What more could one ask?
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)