What's new

Portland General Store old-fashioned wet shave soap - Tobacco

Pros: handmade, high-quality, natural ingredients, good value
Cons: could be slicker
This is a handmade shaving soap made with high-quality ingredients. Price: $15 for 4 oz (118ml)–$3.75 per ounce, by volume Quality: Handmade from natural ingredients, including glycerine, bee's wax, cocoa butter, and bentonite clay. Scent: Spicy, with a hint of sweetness. Lather: Produces less lather than some high-end soaps, but it makes more than I need. Efficacy: Good glide and cushioning. Could be slicker, but it works well enough. Moistuizing: Works well in a dry climate. Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Goats Milk, Vegetable Glycerine, Cocoa Butter, Bentonite Clay, Beeswax, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Soybean Protein, Wheat Protein, Essential Oils, Natural Mica Notes: Portland General Store shipped my order the day after I placed it. The brown, plastic bowl is fine, and I like the antique-looking label.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I was intrigued with this about 8 months ago, and decided that if I did a nasty "to-do" on my list that I would treat myself to this soap. I got it directly from the PGS etsy store, but I highly recommend getting it from West Coast Shaving instead. They are notoriously slow to ship, and I got this about 3 weeks after I paid for it.

Price: I paid $12.00, and got a lot of product for the price.

Quality: Great! Nice packaging, great soap. This is not VDH.

Scent: The scent is weird. It doesn't small like Tabac, and doesn't smell like pipe tobacco. It's a bit medicinal, and at first I was "meh." After 2-3 shaves I grew to love the scent.

Lather: Wow!! Thick, beautiful lather! I get great shaves and look forward to using it. BTW, this is a very hard soap. My Semogue boar works great with this soap.

Efficacy: This is a top tier soap. As good as Tabac, DR Harris and Trumper.

Moisturizing: It moisturizes (I think). I say "I think" because I always use after shave balm.

This is really a great soap. I've afraid of artisan soaps unless a majority of B&B members like it. I look forward to using it. Just be aware that if you buy it directly from PGS that you won't get it for 2-4 weeks. But it's worth the wait.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
A good hand made shave soap, rich in moisturising properties. It contains, amongst other things, Coconut oil, palm oil, safflower oil, goats milk, vegetable glycerin, cocoa butter, bentonite clay, natural mica and beeswax.

Price This was a well considered Christmas present from SWMBO so, in this instance, price couldn't be rated

Quality Very good quality product. It's a well made, well presented and very effective shaving soap.

Scent This is an intriguing one for me. SWMBO likes it, describing it as a manly sort of smell. I like the aroma but can't really place or define it, but then I've no experience of the tobacco plant or dried leaves. It's warm and smoky with lavender in there. It took a while for me to warm to it but it's good.

Lather This lathers up quite nicely; once the brush is loaded it builds up lather quite well with the addition of a few drops of water at regular intervals. The lather shows a nice slickness comparable to the sheen of beaten egg whites, which I guess is due to the clay and mica in the soap.

Efficacy Another 10! The lather builds nicely and sits nicely on the face. The lather cushions the razor providing a good level of "slip" softening the whiskers for a good close shave.

Moisturising Now, several hours after shaving, my face still feels soft and smooth with no sense of tightness.

I'm very pleased with this soap. It entered into my rotation and is another I wouldn't be without.

I have used this soap with a Muhle R106 razor and Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile blades using an Omega badger brush for bowl lathering.

The usual disclaimers apply, I have no connection with Portland General Store!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)